So I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now and I think I want to buy a bass. I don't want to be a fulltime bassist, I just want something to keep me busy when I get bored with guitar.

I don't want a total begginner bass like a squier or anything but I don't want a really high end bass. I want something around the $500 price range. Something that's not totally expensive, but good enough quality to last me a while so I won't have to buy another bass.

I was looking at the new Jackson JS Concert basses ( link ) and was wondering if they were any good.

I was also looking at some of the Ibanez SR basses ( link )

And if all else fails I was thinking about getting a regular Fender P bass.

Are any of these good choices? I don't want something too expensive but I don't want a piece of shit. I play mostly rock (cky, guns n roses, cage the elephant, red hot chilli peppers), grunge (nirvana, alice in chains, pearl jam, soundgarden,) and some metal (megadeth, black sabbath, pantera) So I want something that's a little versatile.

Also my friend says that you can play bass through your guitar amp and as long as you keep the volume low it should be fine. I have a 60W Line 6 Spider II, should it be fine? I plan on getting a bass amp eventually just in case because I don't want to ruin my amp but should it be fine for a few months until I get one?

Hope I gave you guys enough info.
Don't play your bass through a guitar amp, bad things will surely follow.
Quote by purplehaze2242
Also my friend says that you can play bass through your guitar amp and as long as you keep the volume low it should be fine. I have a 60W Line 6 Spider II, should it be fine? I plan on getting a bass amp eventually just in case because I don't want to ruin my amp but should it be fine for a few months until I get one?

You may be fine for a few months, or you may not. Either way it won't sound good, and you risk your Spider, regardless of what level the volume is set at. Bottom line, get a bass amp.

As for a bass, a Fender Precision or Jazz is always a good bet. If you go that route, going used on an MIM will save you a nice chunk of cash, or consider a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified P or J, they're comparable to MIM's and get a lot of love from bassists beginner to advanced.

The Ibanez SR series is a solid line, but they do have super thin necks, which you may or may not find uncomfortable.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Whats the difference between fretted and fretless? Should I get a fretless? I heard they sound better.
Should you get a fretless? I hardly think so.
About them sounding better; That is obviously a matter of personal preferences.
I only like fretless basses for jazz and apart from that I steer away from them at all costs.