I need to buy a child's guitar for my 3 year old. I guess I need something 1/2 size and not 3/4 size. It needs to be electric because he doesn't like acoustic. I need help because every child's instrument I've laid my hands on before has been total crap. I need something that will be easy for him to play, and preferably a fairly traditional body shape. He's tried playing mine but a full size guitar is just way too big for a 3 year old. I need suggestions if you have had any experience with a 1/2 size electric guitar. Especially, if anyone has had experience with the Jay Turser 1/2 sizers because those are the only ones I'm finding anything even remotely positive about online. Thanks!
um, I'd wait until he's 5 or 6. A 3/4 guitar won't be too small then.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well just get him something, so what if you don't like it. Hell he won't know the difference between Gibson and First Act or w/e.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Well just get him something, so what if you don't like it. Hell he won't know the difference between Gibson and First Act or w/e.

First act makes really nice guitars, you know. Think multiple thousands of dollars hand made ones.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
know that 1/2 size guitars have intonation issues.

if you want to spend a little money, then look at
travel guitars.

OR a really cool thin bodied, small acoustic with a soundhole pickup.

the issue is going to be the weight more than the overall size.

anything light enough for him to hold will be made of plywood
unless it's hollow (like an acoustic.)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by oneblackened
First act makes really nice guitars, you know. Think multiple thousands of dollars hand made ones.

That isn't really the point, but yea i do now.
Epiphone has a few 1/2 size guitars. The vee wee and the pee wee les paul, they also make them in a Zakk Wylde sig also. The only thing that I have heard is you tune them to A insted of E, and they are a real problem to keep tuned. they run about $175ish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah, the problems I've heard are tuning/intonation problems. I know it sounds crazy, but he's pretty hardcore about guitar for a 3 year old. I know 1/2 guitars suck, but I want to get the best I can find at least.
I'm sorry to say that I really don't think there are any guitars small enough for a 3 year old. Maybe the half size ones (and the best one I can think of is something like a Vee Wee.)
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by katalyzt13
I need to buy a child's guitar for my 3 year old. I guess I need something 1/2 size and not 3/4 size. It needs to be electric because he doesn't like acoustic. I need help because every child's instrument I've laid my hands on before has been total crap. I need something that will be easy for him to play, and preferably a fairly traditional body shape. He's tried playing mine but a full size guitar is just way too big for a 3 year old. I need suggestions if you have had any experience with a 1/2 size electric guitar. Especially, if anyone has had experience with the Jay Turser 1/2 sizers because those are the only ones I'm finding anything even remotely positive about online. Thanks!

Squier Mini guitars is the best choice for little kids due to its best intonation-adjustable bridge, adjusted fretboard and guitar body for little kids, and most basic to practice with. Squier Mini's are easily found on the market.
Quote by oneblackened

First Act is one of the few guitar brands I've given up on. Their guitars came with misaligned truss rod, stainable finish, stripped pickup, and uncomfortable guitar body.
Quote by prosong12345
First Act is one of the few guitar brands I've given up on. Their guitars came with misaligned truss rod, stainable finish, stripped pickup, and uncomfortable guitar body.

and how much was said guitar?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by prosong12345
Squier Mini guitars is the best choice for little kids due to its best intonation-adjustable bridge, adjusted fretboard and guitar body for little kids, and most basic to practice with. Squier Mini's are easily found on the market.

Yeah I bought my daughter one when she was 6, and it was a pretty good fit. I set it up and was realy impressed with the sound and playability. The quality is pretty impressive for the price. So she is 13 now and the guitar is still in great shape.

The only other guitars I could think of that would be a diecent value are the Epi SG/Les Paul Express, but they are more expensive than the Squier mini.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by prosong12345
200 bucks. Cheapest on market.

try a $5000 first act custom. Completely different story. I think one of the Mastodon guys uses them.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I bought my daughter one when she was 6, and it was a pretty good fit. I set it up and was realy impressed with the sound and playability. The quality is pretty impressive for the price. So she is 13 now and the guitar is still in great shape.

The only other guitars I could think of that would be a diecent value are the Epi SG/Les Paul Express, but they are more expensive than the Squier mini.

Congrats to your daughter! Hope she uses it for future playing!
By far, the only good brand I've seen for little kids would be a Squier Mini. Epiphone and Gibson guitars' necks tend to be very unstable.
Quote by oneblackened
try a $5000 first act custom. Completely different story. I think one of the Mastodon guys uses them.

The sound might be good for the guitar, but my Fender Jaguar is more well-priced and has more top-notch features. 5000 dollars is way too overpriced for a decent guitar.
Quote by oneblackened

Well we aren't looking for a top notch guitar.
Quote by Kilty Boxers
Well we aren't looking for a top notch guitar.

Still, 5000 dollars equals a price of a Hyundai coupe. That's too much for a price of a guitar.
...anyway, to stop derailing:

There's not much out there as far as 1/2 sized electrics go other than what's already been suggested. an Ibanez Mikro is a bit too big, but of the smaller electrics is one of the nicest.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 5, 2011,
Dean has a couple 3/4 models ~$100, but I have no experience with them, so I don't know if they're decent or anything.
Last edited by micromountain37 at Sep 5, 2011,
theres no such thing as a child guitar .

3 y.o is too young anyway IMO

i play Squier mini that i upgraded ( i changed everything , humbucker , tuning keys , string gauge etc.. . they are my main guitars as i have small hands . the mini is good for the price .

im going les paul express soon .

so far i have a

-Squier mini : with fender u.s tuners /duncan invader
-squier mini player ( currently repainting it and modding it )
-2004 fender stratocaster made in mexico JR with seymour duncan hot rails and fender locking tuners

the epiphone les paul express is my next buy i think . i dont usually like playing les paul , but this one has a bridge like a stratocaster , not like the normal les paul :0 .

go for a 3/4 size .. 1/2 guitar are worthless ( they wont stay in tune ) . maybe cause im 30 and still play guitar from 6 to 11

Squier mini ftw . or ukele .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim