I was fooling around with my TS-9 the other day - was gonna do the TS-808 mod but got busy doing something else so I just shoved it all back together.

Now, when the pedal is together it almost has no gain to off. However, if I take it apart and pull the PCB out and run it, it works fine?

What would be causing this? No wires are loose/disconnected, and everything on the PCB is soldered in place. Could it be a resistor touching something its not supposed to or something like that? I'm very confused about this!
Something that shouldn't be is grounding to the chassis or shorting across part of the circuit when you put it in the enclosure. Check to see if anything gets "pinched" when you squeeze it in. If the wires are all connected and none of the pcb components have been touched (so there's no new leads/ bad solder blobs that can contact other componants, etc.) Make sure to check the pots, jacks and everything else that might have gotten turned slightly.

Also, even if there's no loose wires, if there was a bad solder joint, taking the board out and moving things around might have broken it further and lead to a short. I don't know how that would coincide with taking it in and out of the case though.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Something that shouldn't be is grounding to the chassis or shorting across part of the circuit when you put it in the enclosure. Check to see if anything gets "pinched" when you squeeze it in. If the wires are all connected and none of the pcb components have been touched (so there's no new leads/ bad solder blobs that can contact other componants, etc.) Make sure to check the pots, jacks and everything else that might have gotten turned slightly.

Also, even if there's no loose wires, if there was a bad solder joint, taking the board out and moving things around might have broken it further and lead to a short. I don't know how that would coincide with taking it in and out of the case though.

I figured something is now touching something that it's not supposed to - just can't figure out what.

All of the solder joints are good (I'm actually surprised at how nice of a job Ibanez did with the soldering - believe me, I've seen some really bad jobs in pedals from pretty popular companies lol). And the thing about the TS-9 is there's a removable shield that goes over the back of the PCB to keep the solder joints from touching the back plate on the pedal - so I'm figuring it has to be something on the top of the PCB...

If it helps any, the on/off switch makes a very noticeable popping sound when everything is put together and it doesn't make it when its taken apart.
^You could try putting a piece of cloth or thin foam on top and putting it back in. Hopefully it doesn't heat up too much or anything.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Did you remove the piece of plastic insulating the board from the enclosure?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by jthm_guitarist
^You could try putting a piece of cloth or thin foam on top and putting it back in. Hopefully it doesn't heat up too much or anything.

Not a bad idea, even if a 9v completely short circuits and gets hot to the touch, I don't think it would get hot enough to set anything on fire.

If the switch, jacks, or pots are the most likely culprits (since nothing else is out of place) you could also just pad some of that stuff.
Quote by mmolteratx
Did you remove the piece of plastic insulating the board from the enclosure?

Nope. Still there.
Quote by CodeMonk
Try another piece of plastic.
The plastic is thin. Leads can be sharp and maybe something poked through the plastic.

This and look for any exposed leads on the board that could be shorting out. They come with a coating from the factory but it's possible that it rubbed off.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs