What do you guys think about EQ matching ?

Do you use it for mastering to replicate the artist sound ?
The symphonizer
Quote by Sympho
What do you guys think about EQ matching ?

Do you use it for mastering to replicate the artist sound ?
Define the term please, can think of a few possible meanings lol.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
For example :

you play a track, you take a snapshot of your EQ

Then you play a band's track, and you take another snapshot of the EQ

You get a program to match both EQ's to create one EQ which would make your track sound like the other track
The symphonizer
Well, personally I think it's a flawed concept - EQ depends as much on pitch and effects as it does the 'tone' of a certain sound (i.e EQ affects a waveform, but to distort that waveform to be similar to another will not always give you the same results (especially as the digital domain works with discrete values so two tones could never be 'perfectly' matched) and you'll find that if you tried to match the EQ of one thing to that of another, through Fast-Fourier Transform (FFT) analysis of the waveform you will end up altering the pitch and texture of the altered 'tone' more than you would get to the same 'sound'.

Also, consider that if you did this in the mastering stage, and based the EQ of the desired sound on a stereo track of a full mix, you would be unable to determine the harmonics of one instrument from another in each mix, and so would end up altering lots of things you don't want to alter, just to get close to something else.

I'd say if you want to have a track sound like someone else - find out how they got their sound (or experiment; the old-school/longer way) and achieve the results you want that way as they'll sound much better and be more natural-sounding.

That's just my opinion though, based on what I know of what I think you're on about
Lol you're right.

But I'm mentioning this, because with EQ match, I'm able to replicate any sound I want now.

Snares, guitar tones, bass , anything ! Tried it, it's 98 % accurate

I'm incredibly sure something can be done using that technique
The symphonizer
Quote by Sympho
Lol you're right.

But I'm mentioning this, because with EQ match, I'm able to replicate any sound I want now.

I'm incredibly sure something can be done using that technique

I was shown a plug-in a while ago that does this to mimic microphones you could have used instead, to record something, but I still stand by my argument that it is something that works more with the placebo effect than actually being particularly accurate

I can understand how it could come close, but I don't see how it would help anyone who didn't have the original audio files for a song, as there's too much information in the complex waveform of a stereo track, to accurately perceive what needs to be done to what, in my opinion.
Quote by Sympho
Lol you're right.

Bullshit, tbfh
I saw a nice video tutorial posted recently on the Sneap forum that worked well for guitars/bass tone/EQ matching. I haven't had time to try it for myself yet, but I'm going for a cover I'm currently working on.

I honestly dont see the point of matching drums unless there's a very specific sound you need that you can't reproduce with samples.
I don't. If I want to emulate someones sound, I try it on my own...or use EZMix...or use one of the Waves Artist Series plugins...Or Preset...Or screw all that and give up

Usually the last
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by xFilth
Bullshit, tbfh

Lol, well then check this video and everything will be clear. Definitely not bullshit. And if that is still the case for you, then you need to wash your ears, because the guy got the exact same tone using EQ matching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl684tupzpk
The symphonizer
Last edited by Sympho at Sep 6, 2011,