Page 1 of 2

In most American schools, Poe is widely taught. My eighth grade teacher was obsessed with him and we read most of his works. His poems and short stories are among the greatest of America fiction writing, Anabel Lee, The Raven, Dream Within a Dream, and The Tell-Tale Heart being my favorites. So foreigners, how much Poe were you exposed to? Also, everyone discuss your favorite Poe works.
Last edited by y0d4 at Sep 5, 2011,
The only thing I know about him is that Simpsons Halloween episode where they do the Crow or some shit.

EDIT: The Raven, whatever.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Last edited by Trowzaa at Sep 5, 2011,
There is a quote from The Raven on the side of cans of original flavour Relentless, beyond the Simpsons thats it for me
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Love me "The Raven"

Wasn't he messed up though? Into underage girls/his underage cousins or nieces or something? Or am I mixing him up with someone else entirely and slandering a great man's name unnecessarily?
Not a big fan personally and I've read more than what was given in school. I mean I see the suspenseful and dark appeal to some, but like I said, personally it isn't that potent for me.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Fivebretz
Love me "The Raven"

Wasn't he messed up though? Into underage girls/his underage cousins or nieces or something? Or am I mixing him up with someone else entirely and slandering a great man's name unnecessarily?

Yea he married his 13 year old cousin. Its messed up but that sort of thing was socially acceptable back then.
Quote by Weirdbag
I don't know this dude.

But you all know Goethe and Bach :p

Yep, most schools learn about the famous composers and the different eras (I think). at least i learned about both of those guys in grade school music class.
Quote by UraniYum
More relevant, what does Poe think of Foreigner?

very funny. the best post that could have happened in this swarm of pseudointelectuallisim.
p.s. sorry for not spell checking
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
very funny. the best post that could have happened in this swarm of pseudointelectuallisim.

lol I didn't know reading equated to pseudo-intellectualism.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
I remember watching an episode of Arthur (not sure how well known it is, but it's a kid's show, which often makes allusions to things that kid's probably don't understand, even making a few jokes that only older audiences may understand), and Edgar Allen Poe was mentioned on an episode about Halloween. Years later I stumbled upon him and realized he was actually a real person.

Anyways I read a few of his works, pretty good stuff but tbh I'm not exactly the literary type so I doubt I can really appreciate his work.

Emily Dickinson has a few poems herself that really captivated me though. In fact, she was even alluded to in Arthur once.
Quote by DonGlover
lol I didn't know reading equated to pseudo-intellectualism.

in this case, sir, it certianly does. all of the serious pseudos BS is about engineering and science nowadays anyway. art is overrated.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

Discussing an author does not equate to pseudo-intellectualism, ****ing moron. Learn how to use and spell that word before embarrassing yourself.
I'm American and I think he's a national treasure. Beautiful writing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Fivebretz
Love me "The Raven"

He married his underage cousin, but according to everyone who ever met either of them it wasn't a...conventional marriage. Meaning they never had sex. It seems like they thought of each other as siblings. Still weird, but in a different way.

EDIT: Oh, but he was seriously messed up. Crazy as a squid on salvia, and he drank like one too.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by Fivebretz
Love me "The Raven"

Context, dude. It wasn't that strange of a practice in 1835. Darwin was married to his cousin too.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by UraniYum

I'd like to think that Poe would dispose of them in his basement wall, and have the sense to not show the wall to the cops when he is questioned.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
I'm not much of a reader(massive geek? Yes. Reader? No.), but I like Poe's work, I'm not quite sure what it is about it, has a bit of an 1800s upper-class fanciness to it that I like, I guess. I've read about 25 different stories of his but the only ones I remember by name are The Raven(which TBH I don't really like), Hop-Frog(I thought the name sounded funny, rather twisted story, I like) and The Pit And The Pendulum(didn't make much sense, but it's literature and I liked it, so I'm not complaining). xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I've obviously heard lots of things about him, but I've personally never read anything of his.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
I know nothing about him, never read any of his stuff. My education in English was a strict diet of Shakespeare, Dickens, GBS, Hardy etc
Quote by UraniYum

Oh God...

█████████████████████████
Picked up a Complete Stories and Poems thereof at a charity shop.

I'll give it a read on this cold, rainy night and let you know.
I love his short stories. Can't get into his poems, but every time I try to read any poetry I feel like I'm doing it wrong.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I love Poe. He and Lovecraft are two of my favourite American authors, (I'm English), they have great atmosphere and an (archaic) yet tense feel, where somethnig is always lurking just behind the main text.

However, despite being pioneering fiction, Poe's detective stories are absolutely crap and incredibly contrived. I won't post spoilers, and I cannot remember the name of the tale(s), but Inspector D-?'s investigations...

Some of his poetry is amazing, some is hack. The Raven is not an overrated poem .
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by Mazzakazza
I love Poe. He and Lovecraft

Check out some of Lovecraft's poetry;

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.
Did Poe actually look like he did in those pictures? Look at the shape of his head, humans don't look like that.

Quote by UraniYum

He'd slam them for nicking Cold As Ice from him.
Lovecraft had a cat called Niggerman. He was a racist.

Not all his literature is centred around that though. In fact, it's rarely mentioned. When it is, it's very obvious.

I don't really care tbh. It was socially acceptable at the time, I don't agree with it, I can still appreciate an incredible literary mind.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Did Poe actually look like he did in those pictures? Look at the shape of his head, humans don't look like that.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by Mazzakazza
Lovecraft had a cat called Niggerman. He was a racist.

Not all his literature is centred around that though. In fact, it's rarely mentioned. When it is, it's very obvious.

I don't really care tbh. It was socially acceptable at the time, I don't agree with it, I can still appreciate an incredible literary mind.

Ha, my neighbors at my old house had a black dog they called Niggdog, and I didn't get it for years.
Page 1 of 2