Hey guys, I've been trying to get rid of the preamp hiss on my 5150 combo using the famous Boss NS-2 X connection, but it doesn't suppress the noise at all.

I still get that background waterfall noise from the amp whenever the noise gate is in the effects loop...but if I run my guitar through the pedal by itself (guitar > noise gate input > noise gate output > amp) it gets rid of the guitar feedback.

I'd like to start recording soon but that preamp noise is driving me insane! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
well, you are never going to get rid of all the hiss, but the noise suppressor will help.
Most people run the noise suppressor out in front of the amp. The only time I have ever even heard of using it in the effects loop is when you are using it with a rack unit.

Just try adjusting the threshold and decay settings until it gets quiet. Also, shielding the electronics on your guitar can help with the hiss as well.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
The "X" connection is a bunch of bullcrap - it doesn't work and there's no data proving the guy who created it's theory. You're essentially just running your guitar into the FX return of the amp and looping the FX send into the preamp.

Have you tried running it normally? With the guitar in the input and the output to your amp then running your FX Loop through the loop on the pedal?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The "X" connection is a bunch of bullcrap - it doesn't work and there's no data proving the guy who created it's theory. You're essentially just running your guitar into the FX return of the amp and looping the FX send into the preamp.

Have you tried running it normally? With the guitar in the input and the output to your amp then running your FX Loop through the loop on the pedal?

This^ Also, it could be the wiring in your guitar. I've had that problem before. If it just doesn't cut it, then I would suggest a different suppressor.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried running it normally: guitar into the pedal input, output to amp, with the send and return on the pedal connected to the effects loop in the amp, but all it did was create a huge jump in volume and removed the distortion from the preamp.

I'm thinking either my pedal or the effects loop in the amp is broken...
How old are the tubes? You might just need a tube change to get rid of the hiss.
Quote by Sputnik1
How old are the tubes? You might just need a tube change to get rid of the hiss.

I installed a full set of JJs from Eurotubes recently, so I don't think the tubes are the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Quote by stonyman65
well, you are never going to get rid of all the hiss, but the noise suppressor will help.
Most people run the noise suppressor out in front of the amp. The only time I have ever even heard of using it in the effects loop is when you are using it with a rack unit.

Just try adjusting the threshold and decay settings until it gets quiet. Also, shielding the electronics on your guitar can help with the hiss as well.

You pretty much always run a noise suppressor in the loop of any high gain amp to get rid of the hiss from the preamp.

And with a high quality noise suppressor I have never had a problem getting rid of 100% of the hiss on super high gain rigs.

IMO I never liked my NS-2 when I had it, but you should still be able to tame the hiss with it in the loop.
/rig
I just got a Decimator (granted it's the rack version) and it's amazing. I still get a tiny tiny bit of noise coming through when I'm not playing, but I have 6 pedals including a Line 6 M13 and I know my pick ups are noisy.

Decimator FTW.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have a 5150 as well.
Decimator for sure.....I've got a Nova system in the loop and it's got a really Nice noise suppressor also
The X Connection is not bullcrap. I use it, with a 5150 no less, and it works perfectly for me. Removes all noise completely when I'm not playing.

Sometimes when I hook it up it doesn't work, so I suggest you carefully check that everything is going where it should be. It's easy to mix things up with 4 different cables in play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Decimator is the answer, I use mine in front of my 5150, and it kills all the feedback. I even run the Gain at 3 with a TS boost in front of it.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
I know I'm a n00b here despite how long i've been signed up ;-) but what I can offer up is that I'ved used two different Noise gates/suppressors with my Randall RT503.. Granted it's not as high gain as a Peavey 5150 (but still a pretty sweet sound imo).

The Two in question is the NS-2 and a MXR Noise Clamp. *I use the 'X' method also*

What I found whilst using the NS-2 that it gates the distortion channels like I wanted it to but it choked up on the cleans unless I bumped the gain and level up a bit which I didn't want to do especially for gigs (I want the clean to actually sound clean lol).

However with the Noise Clamp it does the job the NS-2 is supposed to do. it cuts out sound when you don't but lets sound through when you do.

I hadn't got round to trying the Decimator but I'm sure it'll do just as good a job if not better then Noise Clamp but I'm happy with the recent purchase none-the-less!

So All am saying is try out all the suggested options but just keep in mind it could possibly the quality of the NS-2

Later!
Quote by ChrisBW
I just got a Decimator (granted it's the rack version) and it's amazing. I still get a tiny tiny bit of noise coming through when I'm not playing, but I have 6 pedals including a Line 6 M13 and I know my pick ups are noisy.

Decimator FTW.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have a 5150 as well.

You guys talking about the 'Decimator' or the 'Decimator G-string'?
pardon the ignorance..
but what is this "x pattern"?

I have a 5150
and i got a noise gate which keeps me quiet while not playing but the hiss is still there...
it just cuts feedback and a little hum.

well my gain is never past 4 anyway but the amp is really a noisy one.