I've had this EMG guitar for around 9 months and I've never changed the battery inside.

I don't know the signs that the pickups may be going since I assume it's gradual. It uses a C battery IIRC.

Will swapping them out every 6 months make a noticeable difference (when you've been playing guitar for many many years you can pick up on subtle changes quite easily)? I haven't yet but I don't want to start rifling through batteries because of lack of knowledge.

How long on average would you keep one going for? a few months... a year... 2+ years?
It's spelled wiener.
Depends how much you use it. I have a few guitars with EMGs and because I cycle through them each one only runs down about once a year. But if you only had one EMG guitar and you used it all the time then the battery might only last as short as three months if you play a ton. So you just gotta listen to the sound. When the battery gets to about 1/3rd power you'll notice the pickup output lowers a little and there's less headroom so the sound becomes even more comrpessed sounding and you might start to get a little more hum than usual.
I would say just get a new battery, and when you think they sound less alive, swap the battery and see if that makes a difference. A 9v battery is cheap.

They are rated by hour, so unless you've been counting the hours you play, you won't really know when they are dying except by a loss of tone.
well when mine go bad, the pickups sound really weak, like i rolled the volume nob down past half, when it happens i usually think its my amp or something but when i check everything its my pickup battery
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Yours uses a C battery? ..Mine uses a 9-volt. Youll know when it happens. Turn your volume knob down to about halfway, start playing and thats how it will sound when your EMGs will go. And your cleans will start to sound distorted (IIRC). Mine started going after about a year with my EMG guitar. And I dont believe that they were changed when i bought it.. So maybe about 12-14 months?
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
My batteries last me at least nine months. I change them after that time despite not hearing anything.

Though on my six-string, the sound just started to die. It became very quiet and the clean channel was quiet and full of fuzz. Replace battery = problem solved.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
The batteries in my guitars last a very long time. I use to swap them regularly when i was touring. But I haven't changed them in over a year now I'm sure. The main thing to make them last is make sure you unplug your guitar when you're not playing it.
Quote by a_hub10
The batteries in my guitars last a very long time. I use to swap them regularly when i was touring. But I haven't changed them in over a year now I'm sure. The main thing to make them last is make sure you unplug your guitar when you're not playing it.

Do you unplug the guitar or do you take the battery out of the guitar?

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Every few months or just when it sounds shit.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You're suppose to keep the guitar unpluged with active pickups.

Just change them every 9 months or so or if you hear a difference in tone. Why be skimpy on them? it's only a couple of 9v's.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss