I'm trying to learn the 5th fret method for tuning my guitar. So far I can do it alright, but Im having trouble tuning the top (thick) string.

How in the world do I tune this string as from my understanding it is the string that is being used to tune the other 5 strings to?
push down the 5th fret and tune it to your a string. assuming your a string is in tune.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
that is where you have to really be able to hear and identify an 'E'. Otherwise, if you just tune the other strings to the top string, your strings will be in tune with each other, you just won't be in tune to play with recordings or other people.
An alternative way would be to have a reference note.

It would take some time to be able to get used to knowing how the low E sounds, as with any other strings if you're using them as a reference for the method you're using (I find using the high E string as a reference works too).

If you're just learning how to tune your guitar this way, chances are you still have some way to go before you can hear a note and identify that as an E.

I'm still working on that myself, so to make it easier for myself, I play riffs that are only on the low E string as a check. I personally use these to make sure I'm actually playing an E, and not a D# or F or something.

Part from Erotomania by Dream Theater: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-MoL1ON2hM&t=2m0s

Part from Premonition by Joe Satriani: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCuiVbeJRdo&t=1m45s
Quote by stevosmusic1
either memorize the "E"note by ear or tune it to another instrument

That's what I've been doing is either using another instrument to tune the top string.

Thanks for all the advice
play a harmonic on the 7th fret of the A string, then a harmonic of the 5th fret on the E string. they should be the same frequency.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
play a harmonic on the 7th fret of the A string, then a harmonic of the 5th fret on the E string. they should be the same frequency.

I believe what TS wants is to get the correct E, so he can tune everything in standard. Without a way to affirm that your low E is correct, you might be tuning the guitar to itself, but not to standard tuning.

While your way definitely works, TS will face the same problem as he would if he had just used the five frets method.
well, if he needs the exact low E (or any string), he'll either need perfect pitch, a pitch fork, or a tuner. one of those pick sized tuners come in handy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Paul Bright
I'm trying to learn the 5th fret method for tuning my guitar. So far I can do it alright, but Im having trouble tuning the top (thick) string.

How in the world do I tune this string as from my understanding it is the string that is being used to tune the other 5 strings to?

It's really hard to get the exact tone by ear. Use a piano and play an E then once you get one string in tune you can use the harmonics(5) to tune the rest.

There is websites that play tones from piano if you don't have access to one.
Not sure if this is freak luck or something, but you know when something is out of tune to another note and you hear it wobble until the frequencies are the same? If i just play my E i hear that wobble, even though no other notes are sounding - so when the wobble stops (usually indicating the note is in tune with another note) i presume it to be in tune, and it always is.

Alternatively i can tune it by tension, or when its noisey and the wobble isnt clear i know what an E sounds like anyhow. Its all practice, but I can honestly say i've never sat down and practiced tuning at all, purely from playing guitar for so long i can tell if something is even slightly out of tune. Keep at it dude, you'll get it!
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
If i just play my E i hear that wobble, even though no other notes are sounding -

This happened to me last night.

I wasn't playing any other notes, but I could feel and hear the wobble until I finished tuning the string. I then checked it and it was damn near spot on. One of those 'WTF?' moments.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.