Hey guys,

I'm new to the UG community and I'm not even sure if this is where I should be posting this, but I will do so anyway. I a guitar addict with nothing better to do but to play 7 hours a day. My rhythm is pretty strong as is my soloing but I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with finding some music which could help me get progressively better. At the moment I am interested in playing anything that requires speed. I am capable of playing Crystal Mountain by Death, Master of Puppets, Blackened, and Fade to Black by Metallica so you sort of get the jist of my skill level. Can anyone suggest to me a list of songs which get progressively harder starting with intermediate and ending with rather difficult. I would prefer playing death metal of some sort but if you don't know your way around that genre that's fine (I'm up for neoclassical, thrash, etc.)

Thanks so much
Try Avenged Sevenfold, its a bit more modern sounding, synyster gates makes awesome fast solos, try Afterlife, i love that solo xD
Well you could look into some of the easier megadeth solos.
Symphony of destruction
Sweating bullets
Train of consequences
etc.

Megadeths solos are somewhat more challanging than metallica's, especially of you try marty's solos and want to nail his feeling in terms of bends and vibrato.

Also check out some Pantera, dimebag was a great solo player.
Mouth for war
Walk
Floods
Cemetary gates
domination
Im broken
Cowboys from hell.

That's all i can give you, i used to be a real Thrash/Groove metal nerd.
Quote by Sickz
Megadeths solos are somewhat more challanging than metallica's, especially of you try marty's solos and want to nail his feeling in terms of bends and vibrato.

I hope you didn't just mess with Metallica.
Here are my solo suggestions......

Fight Fire With Fire (Metallica)
Ride The Lightning (Metallica) << I love this solo
One (Metallica)
Tornado Of Souls (Megadeth)
Hangar 18 (Megadeth)
Lucretia (Megadeth)
Dialectic Chaos (Megadeth)
Cowboys From Hell (Pantera)
Walk (Pantera)

If you are willing to try some other genres, I could give you even more suggestions. I don't know much thrash metal. Except Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Kreator.....

Hope That Helped,
Just be aware that faster doesn't automatically equate to "better".

Also you posting a list of what you can do is all well and good, but it doesn't really give us any indication whatsoever of your skill level - a quick glance at YoutTube is enough to illustrate that there's a massive difference between thinking you can do something and actually being able to do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I hope you didn't just mess with Metallica.

Haha.

I did not, i love metallica and megadeth. I just ment megadeth's solos are somewhat more advanced then metallica's.
Quote by Sickz
Haha.

I did not, i love metallica and megadeth. I just ment megadeth's solos are somewhat more advanced then metallica's.

True.
Though Metallica has their share of advanced solos as well. hehe
Halo (Machine Head)
Angel Of Death (Slayer)
God Send Death (Slayer)
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
First, it's time for you to start emulating huge players. If you can do what you claim, I suggest checking out Jeff Loomis and Chris Broderick stuff, or at least Marty Friedman stuff in Megadeth.

If you practice 7 hours a day, set aside 15 minutes for each arpeggio inversion (triad ones) so you can get 5 string sweeping down for major/minor/augmented/dim/dim7. That's the building blocks for the more advanced stuff.
Know how to run between each mode. Be able to shred across the neck. Take the major scale and expand it everywhere...

Make sure you set yourself up with trying to emulate a really good guitarist. Don' try to be Kirk Hammett because his techniques suck major balls and you'll inherit his bad technique probably.
Well, at least don't learn his vibrato. Then youre good.

Give each technique an hour a day...
1 hour for:
- scales/modes
- pentatonic
- arpeggios + triads + inversions
- tapping various things
Practice vibrato slowly from 10 minutes a day and increase the time slowly or you'll **** your fingers up.

There you go, now take your remaining 2-3 hours and compose/play your favorite songs. Mix it up, don't do 1 hour of arpeggios straight. I've tried, you will shoot yourself or at best get RSI.

EDIT: Do it all on the bridge pickup. Neck pickup is for cheaters or recording in the studio. Yes, arpeggios too.
It's spelled wiener.
Last edited by AtomicBirdy at Sep 6, 2011,
Thanks guys for you help, really appreciate it. As of now I have been learning solos through tabs, would you suggest I continue to do so or should I start learning by ear?
Where can I find more information on "arpeggios + triads + inversions." Most notably the triads and inversions, I have almost no idea what those are.
Quote by nskhuri
Where can I find more information on "arpeggios + triads + inversions." Most notably the triads and inversions, I have almost no idea what those are.

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

scroll down to the chord section and youve hit the jackpot
Thanks so much mate. By the way any more song suggestions from anyone are welcome (preferably in D tuning cause I hate floyd rose xD.)
If you're into death metal, definitely check out Death's music. They're entirely in D standard, IIRC. Same goes for Mastadon.

If you're willing to go down a half step, you can do some Between the Buried and Me, though that might have to wait for a later day (it's pretty challenging stuff).
Yea I'm currently practicing some Death songs Chuck is one of my idols man. But they are a bit difficult for me the only one I (barely) managed to play is crystal mountain including the solo. Could you suggest to me any of Death's easier songs and if I should learn them by ear?

On a side note, I heard Pantera plays in some weird ass tuning so I can't quite play with it if im in D standard can I?
Yea dude I'm pretty open to any kind of music as long as it's none of that core crap.
Quote by nskhuri
Yea I'm currently practicing some Death songs Chuck is one of my idols man. But they are a bit difficult for me the only one I (barely) managed to play is crystal mountain including the solo. Could you suggest to me any of Death's easier songs and if I should learn them by ear?

On a side note, I heard Pantera plays in some weird ass tuning so I can't quite play with it if im in D standard can I?

Most of their songs are in standard, some songs are in D standard.
^^ Pantera that is.
Quote by MaddMann274
Most of their songs are in standard, some songs are in D standard.
^^ Pantera that is.

Some standard tuned (down 40 cents for any tuning!!!).(cemetery gates...)
Some in d standard (walk, 5 minutes alone..) , some in C# standard. (floods...)
I play it all in e standard or Eb anyways, sounds okay until you play with the tracks.
Walk, Floods and Cemetery Gates have wicked solos imo.