Hello Pit,
I plan on beginning to homebrew beer, and I was wondering if anyone in the pit has some advice or tips that they could offer up. Anything will be much appreciated.
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
Last edited by psorgatz at Sep 5, 2011,
Remember that slaughtering the virgin goat only works if the moon is one night from being full.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

get 2 glass carboys (the fermentation jugs) right off the bat. Moving the beer to a second fermentation tank after a week or so really cuts down on the sediment in your beer. Pay CLOSE attention to sanitation, soak the bottles you are going to use in cold bleach water overnight before you bottle and cap them. Keep a diary (this is REALLY important) so you can keep track of what worked, what didn't and what you liked or didn't like about your yeild. Read a lot about it online but don't get overwhelmed to the point that you don't know what you want to brew. Be safe the first couple times and just use a kit without any variation so you know how the wort and yeast reacts. A filler wand will save you a ton of time and hassle. Most of all Have Fun!
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by angusfan16
Make sure to plant it in fertile soil.

Quote by SteveHouse
Remember that slaughtering the virgin goat only works if the moon is one night from being full.

I should have never asked the pit
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
Quote by zenbone
get 2 glass carboys (the fermentation jugs) right off the bat. Moving the beer to a second fermentation tank after a week or so really cuts down on the sediment in your beer. Pay CLOSE attention to sanitation, soak the bottles you are going to use in cold bleach water overnight before you bottle and cap them. Keep a diary (this is REALLY important) so you can keep track of what worked, what didn't and what you liked or didn't like about your yeild. Read a lot about it online but don't get overwhelmed to the point that you don't know what you want to brew. Be safe the first couple times and just use a kit without any variation so you know how the wort and yeast reacts. A filler wand will save you a ton of time and hassle. Most of all Have Fun!

Thank you, sir

Quote by CorvetteRick
seems neat but it takes too long.

Only about 3 weeks, depending on the recipe of course
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
Use fresh, milled grains.

Stay away from the syrup kits.

Hops hops hops hops hops hops hops hops hops; hops. Repeat.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by psorgatz
I should have never asked the pit

Can we get this posted under where it says "The Pit" in the list of forums? It will save people who are looking for serious answers a couple minutes

I would never want to homebrew beer, it would taste like my basement... and i don't have a basement.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's super easy, go to the store, buy a 6 pack of your favorite beer, take home, pour into your favorite glass, and presto, home made beer.

No ethan, he means that he wants to ferment the beer in his home, not open and consumer pre-fermented beer from some factory. Are you trying to make people mad at this point, or are you serious? I really hope you aren't, I really do.
Quote by genghisgandhi

No ethan, he means that he wants to ferment the beer in his home, not open and consumer pre-fermented beer from some factory. Are you trying to make people mad at this point, or are you serious? I really hope you aren't, I really do.

Quote by genghisgandhi

Mad bro?

Look at where I'm from. For all you know I brew moonshine in my closet. I know how, but do I do it?
Quote by genghisgandhi

Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
When I saw this I instantly read a how to guide on home brewing. I really wanna do it now.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
i started making beer and wine when i was underage (mid-teens) as a way of getting alcohol when times were tough. Basically it was legal to purchase the things to MAKE booze but not booze itself. Then after i got older i started brewing for fun. It is a lot of fun. Plus i love guinness so i could brew stout like it for about 25cents per bottle as opposed to the hefty price tag of actual Guinness.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Make mead instead.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Make wine, it's easier.
plus, you can get it up to like 40 proof.
FORZA CATANIA
Last edited by jonathan666666 at Sep 6, 2011,
Be able to follow close and precise directions.

Have money ready to be spent. I'm talking about bottling time. This is to be remembered especially if you are a broke ass student.
Quote by zenbone
(...)Moving the beer to a second fermentation tank after a week or so really cuts down on the sediment in your beer(...)!

right there...

...not that simple. depends what type of beer you're making, fermentation times vary and are not something to take in as an approximate time for any beer. same goes for temperature.

If it's something you really want to get into, get that book. It's extremely informative and tells you all you need to know from brewing with malt extract kits to all grain brews.

Someone said don't use a syrup kit, but I don't see a problem using one for your first few brews. It limits the extent to which you can experiment with your beer, but it's good for getting a hang of the process.

It's really not hard at all, as long as you're meticulous about sanitizing everything, you're beer shouldn't taste like ass.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
This thread is relevant to my interests. Moving into a new house with a load of mates next month, gonna brew loads of disgusting brown ale and probably never drink it
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Brewing really isn't too complicated as long as you closely follow all of the directions.

I've done it with my friends about 10 times now, and we've never had any major issues. The beer always ended up being really good too. We've made all different kinds, including a porter, red ale, chocolate stout, pale ale, and Belgian blonde ale among a few others.
Quote by thefuzz454

If it's something you really want to get into, get that book. It's extremely informative and tells you all you need to know from brewing with malt extract kits to all grain brews.

Someone said don't use a syrup kit, but I don't see a problem using one for your first few brews. It limits the extent to which you can experiment with your beer, but it's good for getting a hang of the process.

It's really not hard at all, as long as you're meticulous about sanitizing everything, you're beer shouldn't taste like ass.

I've got that book and it is excellent If we've got the money, a buddy and I will be purchasing supplies for a homebrew kit, and hopefully brewing our first batch this weekend
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you