I'm just curios how often do you guys get to practice? I practiced all the time over the summer but now that school started a rarely get time ti play between school and sports i have no time at all.
I can totally relate to you. For me though, I put school first, so I don't practice as much. During a typical school week, I probably only "practice" about an average of an 45 minutes a day. One day I might play for 2 hrs. but then I might skip a couple, so yeaahh. During the summer is a great time to practice, also. Plenty of time to learn a song or two, depending on the difficulty.
i rarely even get 45 minutes a day i go to practice after school get home at around 6ish start my homework around 7 and get done with it about 12 and go to bed i usually end up playing guitar afterwards til like 2am but then im so tired the next morning.
Most of my practice is done in bands, so there's a schedule there. In much the same way you may play sports every wednesday from 5 - 7, I'm doing band stuff on certain nights from 7 - 9.

So scheduling is the key with anything. If you set certain times and keep to them, you can fit an awful lot into your day.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by stevosmusic1
i rarely even get 45 minutes a day i go to practice after school get home at around 6ish start my homework around 7 and get done with it about 12 and go to bed i usually end up playing guitar afterwards til like 2am but then im so tired the next morning.

You can get plenty of sleep when you're dead.

I woke up at 4 AM, got home at 8 or 9 PM and then worked on homework until 11 PM, then played guitar until 1 or 2 AM. If I could do it, so can you.
Life is always first. Guitar is a hobby, not a chore. Unless you plan on being a professional musician with all the bells and whistles, there's no justification for beating yourself up over not being able to play more often - it's an instrument of enjoyment, not stress.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

I woke up at 4 AM, got home at 8 or 9 PM and then worked on homework until 11 PM, then played guitar until 1 or 2 AM. If I could do it, so can you.

that is basically what i do everyday.
Quote by stevosmusic1

Well if it's any help, I used to wake up at 5 am, do my homework/studies before school, then go to school and do whatever I wanted after. Go to sleep around 10.30, wake up 5 the next day etc.

I'm not saying you're not telling the truth, but in my experience people tend to exaggerate how busy they really are. They don't mention all the time they spend watching tv, or how efficient that 5 hours of homework every night (!) is. If you're looking for people to emphasise with you, that's not me. You can take measures to fit something in your life or not.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I have this problem. I Wake up at 6am leave my house at 7:30ish get home at around 4ishpm monday-wednesday. Tues I go to 6pm get home around 7ish. i carpool somedays so on thursday i get done at ****in 11:20am and don't get home until around 4. I can just bring my guitar into the lounge and play it. won't let it sit in the car all day.

But after i get home, I do some homework. Sometimes it takes all night depending what it is and if i have trouble with it.

Not to mention im starting a job. So I'll write out a schedule in excel I think.
Quote by AlanHB
Well if it's any help, I used to wake up at 5 am, do my homework/studies before school, then go to school and do whatever I wanted after. Go to sleep around 10.30, wake up 5 the next day etc.

I'm not saying you're not telling the truth, but in my experience people tend to exaggerate how busy they really are. They don't mention all the time they spend watching tv, or how efficient that 5 hours of homework every night (!) is. If you're looking for people to emphasise with you, that's not me. You can take measures to fit something in your life or not.

i do fit it in the best i can i just feel its not enough. and trust me im not exaggerating ap classes are raping me
Analyze your day, and figure out how much is wasted time.

Personally, I play an average of an hour a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I use lunch breaks at work to get in my quick fix while my co-workers kill their brains playing online poker or online puzzle games.

I used to smoke. When I quit I got back at least a good 3 hours a day that was wasted on that.

I watch little TV except to hang out with my wife or son. NFL season is starting, so I'll be watching a little more, but thanks to DVR I won't have to waste as much time sitting through the commercials.

I rarely play video games, except once in a while to get my gratuitous "kill-freak" on via Left 4 Dead 2. Video games can be a HUGE time expenditure.

Just find all of your idle time or time that is non-value added, and block those segments into guitar, etc.

It just comes down to time management skill. It's something you get better at as you get older.
All good advice. The only things I'll add are:

-When you're younger, you can get by on four hours sleep or whatever a night. At 41, if I don't get at least six, I'm one hurtin' unit. A whole week of six hours a night and I start falling asleep in front of my computer while I do stuff like this.

-along with time management comes prioritizing. When I *really* started to take guitar seriously, and decided that I wanted to pursue a degree in it, I had to look at what I had on: school, part-time job, serious girlfriend, classical guitar studies, hockey, other friends, rock band, etc. It was at that point that hockey took the bullet and I became a lot more selective about who I spent my time with.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Too little sleep is just as big a waste of time as too much. There is a balance between lost time from sleep and the awareness gained from it.
Quote by Vlasco
Too little sleep is just as big a waste of time as too much. There is a balance between lost time from sleep and the awareness gained from it.

Of course. But the body can function just fine on 4 hours of sleep. For me, better than 8. But I typically need about 9-10 to be perfect.

He just needs to find what's good for him. I've heard of people ONLY sleeping in cycles of 4 hours with a 10-20 minute nap thrown in here or there and they do just fine.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I've heard of people ONLY sleeping in cycles of 4 hours with a 10-20 minute nap thrown in here or there and they do just fine.

I did this sort of program for a few months earlier in the year. It's called 'biphasic sleep'--there's plenty of information out there. I slept for 4.5 hours at night (as my sleep cycle matches the average of ~1.5 hours) then napped for 1.5 hours in the evening. It works great for a while. If you can stand the sheer discipline and the awkward schedule it takes, it can be worth it. However, I don't think you're completely rested when doing this. I think it helps you sleep at intervals such that you won't feel tired, like you would if you normally just got 6 hours a day everyday. Your sleep debt is probably accumulating the whole time: three months in, I just started crashing and oversleeping; I was a wreck. It was nice while it lasted.

To anyone who is interested in trying it, keep in mind that you are wasting time by waking up for a second time during the day. I know I don't function properly for a while after waking up, so I had to incur this time twice a day instead of just once in the morning. This cycle favors the light sleepers.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by Hail
Life is always first.

Music is life.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by AlanHB
hey don't mention all the time they spend watching tv, or how efficient that 5 hours of homework every night (!) is. .

I never understood how people could spend that much time on homework. i know i never did... when i did it and wasnt on the forums...

Quote by liampje
Quote by vampirelazarus
I never understood how people could spend that much time on homework. i know i never did... when i did it and wasnt on the forums...

Haha, me too, I spent 1~2 hours at most on homework with AP classes, college is even easier because I have more time to do pretty much the same amount of work. Last year in college with a standard Freshman curriculum I played vidya gamz and worked out with my buds and even started learning music theory. Homework took up a max of 3~4 hours a day (usually much less), with classes taking up 3 hours.

Plenty of free time. Sometimes I'd get bored and just sit in the cafeteria for hours listening to music.

I don't have the kind of attitude where I'm hellbent on becoming a great musician, it is what it is. I'd rather spend a couple of hours a day enjoying myself learning a song or reading through posts here than working on sweeping for 8 hours a day.

You want to play sports? Fine, but don't expect to sit in your room with your acoustic for those three hours. You get what you put into it, do you want to get from sports, or guitar? Your choice man.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Of course. But the body can function just fine on 4 hours of sleep. For me, better than 8. But I typically need about 9-10 to be perfect.

He just needs to find what's good for him. I've heard of people ONLY sleeping in cycles of 4 hours with a 10-20 minute nap thrown in here or there and they do just fine.

It wouldn't be optimal. 9-10 hours is also unlikely to be so.
The body can only function on 4 hours sleep until you either get ill or seriously depressed. You should be getting between 6 and 9 hours of sleep and more importantly be getting to bed by 10-10.30.

You can't manage time but you can manage what you do with your time. Get into the habbit of making to-do lists and schedules.

Be willing to make sacrifices. If you spend an hour in the afternoon watching cartoons, decide if they're more important than guitar and if not play guitar instead.

I would advise every kid to do well at school but you should know that the guitar can lead you into many well paid careers whether that be making music in a band or as a session guitarist or becoming a guitar teacher/mentor. If you really want a career in music then you can do it if you put the time in.

Good luck with your school work and guitar playing
Quote by DiminishedFifth
9 1/2 is actually what most teenagers need.

I'm sorry, I lose track of ages on the internet.
I can still find time to practice my guitar every day because that is what my goal is. I am a full time music and music technology student at College, so for me practice for recitals and performances, composing, listenting to music etc.. is all part of the 'homework' I guess. But even when I was in Secondary School, having to do other subjects outside of music, I was still able to find time to practice after doing my homework. Do your homework when you get home from school, then use whatever time you have left to practice. But school work should always come first, as even if you intend to become a professional musician, you still need good academic grades to get into the Colleges to study Music A-level and to get into the Universities to study degree's in Music. But best of luck at finding the balance
If you don't intend to do it as a career, don't worry about missing the occasional planned practice: if it feels like a chore, and not an enjoyment you will get bored. Just try to play when you can; when you watch tv or just lurk on the pit, have the guitar in your hands, and juggle the two as best you can if you really have little time (or just skip the tv all together). Also, try and make a schedule or something, when you know you will be free - half an hour here or an hour there - it all helps.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
True story -

Pupil - I'm sorry, I just didn't get any practice done last week, I didn't have any time and school was really rough.

Me - Yeah I understand, things are like that sometimes. Say, what did you watch on TV yesterday?

Pupil - Well, I came in from school and watched *lists 3 hours of different programs*

First step is to check you don't waste massive amounts of your life watching TV, browsing cracked.com, playing WoW...

If there's anything in your life that you spend time on and you don't much out of, quit it. Just cut it out. And replace that with guitar. For most people, and especially young people in the affluent West, this is all you need to do.

If you really don't have enough time for guitar after doing that, then you just don't have enough time and you need to cut down on sleep or start playing guitar at lunch during school.
Quote by Freepower
First step is to check you don't waste massive amounts of your life watching TV, browsing cracked.com, playing WoW...
And Starcraft too, right?
Quote by Jesse Clarkson

No. Starcraft is always beneficial. Always.

Quote by liampje

I'm getting plenty of guitar practice in regardless, seeing as I've been off work the past three weeks.

When work starts I'll be just workin on the bonus pool. ^_^