I guess this is kind of "dumb" question in that people wouldn't do it if it didn't have a purpose, but alas, I'm very ignorant...=P

I've come across guitars that have the same pickup on the bridge and the neck (are they really, or do they just have the same name and are tweaked for position?). I've never had the chance to play on one like this, so I ask:

How does the position change from bridge to neck affect the sound of one given pickup?

Thanks
A pickup in the neck position has more bass, and the pickup in the bridge has more treble. Some times the two pickups used will be exactly the same (eg the EMG81 is the same thing in both the neck and bridge - will still sound different though), whereas more often than not (I think) you will find calibrated sets of pickups where even though they have the same name one is specifically designed to go in the neck, and the other in bridge.

For example if you go on the DiMarzio website you can find some bridge and neck versions of the same pickup and you can see how they are designed a bit differently even though they are given the same name.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
A pickup in the neck position has more bass, and the pickup in the bridge has more treble. Some times the two pickups used will be exactly the same (eg the EMG81 is the same thing in both the neck and bridge - will still sound different though), whereas more often than not (I think) you will find calibrated sets of pickups where even though they have the same name one is specifically designed to go in the neck, and the other in bridge.

For example if you go on the DiMarzio website you can find some bridge and neck versions of the same pickup and you can see how they are designed a bit differently even though they are given the same name.

This.

Usually the difference in the matched sets will be the output level. The bridge position requires a higher output than the neck because it's a weaker position, less string oscillation.

And many times, a neck pickup will be alnico to give it a more rich sound, and the bridge will be ceramic to allow it to handle distortion with more clarity. This is definitely not set in stone though, it's just the common practice.
hey there mate,

In my new guitar (chapman ml2), the same bridge pup is in the neck position,

Although more bass it, still has the same qualities as the bridge pup. It gives the guitar an interesting almost uniform sort of sound.

As both pickups have the same output level, the bridge pickup is raised ever so slightly more than the neck pickup to give it a higher output

Pat
Gear:
O'donnell - Cocobolo fusion
Maton - EBG808
Ibanez Stratocaster (1976)
Chapman ML1

Reynolds JFR25
THD Bivalve

YouTube Channel:
www.youtube.com/patdavidmusic