Page 3 of 7
Quote by due 07
Nowhere to my memory, however you've never indicated you didn't care until just now. So it's up in the air.
Cuz I don't think I've indicated anywhere that I worry about what anybody thinks about music I like anywhere in many years. Like three!

I don't see what's so outrageous about me not liking somebody's reviews. Why's that a big deal?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I never heard of this Fantano Guy, but I've seen his face around. He is kinda irritating. It's cool that he likes BoF though. Hope he makes ya big rock stars.

I don't like the way he reviews stuff. You're supposed to be terse and elliptical, taking the band's nature for granted, so your readers know that you're holding back your encyclopedic music knowledge (they may feel a little bit of inferiority if they're not up to speed, but they prefer that to feeling patronized because somebody's telling them about the band like they've never heard of them). Like Robert Christgau.

Oh, apparently I have heard of him, 'cuz I listened to him interviewing 2/3 of Birth of Flower. The name just didn't ring a bell.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Sep 26, 2011,
I don't always like Christgau's opinion, but I love reading his reviews and always take it into consideration when preparing to buy a new album. His reviews tell alot in so few words, talk about control over his diction. And he was able to very adequately describe how I feel about Coldplay, when I couldn't even find the words to describe how I feel about Coldplay.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by element4433
Cuz I don't think I've indicated anywhere that I worry about what anybody thinks about music I like anywhere in many years. Like three!

I don't see what's so outrageous about me not liking somebody's reviews. Why's that a big deal?

I was just kidding, sheesh. Although your criticism was outta this world wacky.
I DONT' KNOW WHY
YOU WANNA IMPRESS CHRISTGAU
LET THAT SHIT DIE
AND FIND OUT THE NEW GOAL

KILL YR IDOLS
SONIC DEATH
IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD
AND CONFUSION IS SEEXXX

Yeah I love Christgau's reviews.

Fuckin' looove that song too. Just thinkin' about it gives me that sorta nervous feeling—like when y'r talkin' to a pretty girl, ya know? That's weird.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Sep 26, 2011,
Quote by due 07
I was just kidding, sheesh. Although your criticism was outta this world wacky.
I figured.

And it's not really wacky. It's a fairly common criticism of him across the internet. Lots of people like him, but lots do not.

NO BIG DEAL!

But let me illustrate my point better. In his review for They Might Be Giants - Join Us, he asks if they're maturing, which is just stupid because the Johns are in their 50s, and they've released like fifteen albums. It's just a super dumb thing to say, and he says as if it's the most intellectual statement ever made. Like he just came up with a new theory on Faust that nobody has ever heard before, but the reason nobody has ever heard it because it's just dumb. Or he'll say something (and I don't have a specific example) that's so obvious that everybody feels that way, but acts like he's a genius for coming up with it.

In conclusion, I don't like his reviews. But I'm sure he's a nice guy. And he generally has good taste in music, from what I've seen.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I don't see how he comes off as too self important or turgid. I'd hate to hear what you think about the TV personalities on MSNBC.
Quote by due 07
I don't see how he comes off as too self important or turgid. I'd hate to hear what you think about the TV personalities on MSNBC.
Of course. People who are self important often have a hard time seeing others as self important.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
Of course. People who are self important often have a hard time seeing others as self important.

According to whom?
With the exception of people just plainly lacking empathy (a la NPD, ASPD, etc), that's not really true. If someone has an infalted sense of importance, s/he would feel threatened/offended by someone who fails to recognize their perceived importance (which is effectively what others being self-important is to the self-important individual).
Element obviously does care
Quote by bradulator
Element obviously does care
Not really.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

In case anyone thinks I'm just an unnecessary, argumentative little fuck, that post was me joking, betokening my alleged self-importance. I thought it was preferable to "Whaa I'm not self-important!" I'm not that much of a humorless pedant.¯\_(ツ_/¯

You know, not that I care what you commoners think about me or anything.
Last edited by due 07 at Sep 26, 2011,
This is fucking stupid, and Due 7's trolling isn't even funny, so I don't know why he's persisting.
Quote by charliezard!
This is fucking stupid, and Due 7's trolling isn't even funny, so I don't know why he's persisting.

I'm not "persisting" with, let alone really doing, either of these (1, 2), so either you have significant problems with word choice or you've just got the wrong guy. Just shootin' the shit like bros, know what I mean bro?
Last edited by due 07 at Sep 26, 2011,
I was reading the comments on that video, and it got me thinking.
If there is one single moment in the album I find cheesy, it is the lyrics:

"I hate whiny ****ing songs like this,
but I can't afford a therapist.
Sorry guys, here's a solo."
from Distance.

I cringesmile every time I hear it
Cringesmiling is the best I'm ever able to do for AJJ. Same thing for Pat the Bunny's stuff. So that's how I feel about the only two folk punk peeps I've ever almost liked.
New album is amazing and disliking it is synonymous with disliking music.

Seriously, so good.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I guess that means I should listen to it, but I don't wanna find out I don't like music. Like, I'd have to rearrange my whole life.
Cringesmile is the best word ever.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by nashawa
New album is amazing and disliking it is synonymous with disliking music.

Seriously, so good.

You don't/didn't like AJJ, right?
Doesn't want to listen to music for the fear of disliking music...I'm guessing you just lay in a bed all day? Or are you afraid you might not like that as well?

Can this thread go back to just being about AJJ?
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by due 07
You don't/didn't like AJJ, right?

I didn't a few months ago, no.

I think I've explained this at great lengths already.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Sep 27, 2011,
I don't remember who I told this but last night I was listening to "Big Bird" and my cat was in my room sleeping, but whenever the song was almost over and all the birds started chirping my cat got up and kept looking around for birds. In my basement. Pure entertainment.
Quote by element4433
Cringesmile is the best word ever.

It sounds much too ugly to be a good word. I was just about to list the juxtaposition of letters in it that make it sound ugly, but then I realized I was just spelling out the whole word.
Quote by Greenfinger182
Doesn't want to listen to music for the fear of disliking music...I'm guessing you just lay in a bed all day? Or are you afraid you might not like that as well?

I feel like you missed something.
Can this thread go back to just being about AJJ?

You're no fun.

Man, before there was an off-topic thread, shit got derailed like crazy. Was pretty cool sometimes, but now that I think about it, there were a lot of excruciating punk internet arguments.
They were here 2 days ago and I forgot to go...

This was linked on Asian Man's facebook:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hylIYXvky2E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg6Ol_-9uw4

They played these two songs while in Atlanta, for some Nervous Energies thing.
Fucc the Devil and a sweet Neil Young cover.
I listened to Knife Man a little while ago. It's really great. So I guess I do like the band as long as I make sure I never hear them when I'm not already feelin' bad.
Saw AJJ last week. They were great, and I dig the new songs!