So i have about 300-500 dollars. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom. I would like to buy a new guitar, as i recently sold my ibanez. I am about intermediate-advanced skill level. I play punkish music (sum 41, blink 182, green day), Classic Rock, and a small amount of metal. What guitar would you suggest that would specialize in the "punk" sound while also being versatile enough to play rhythm and lead? All suggestions are appreciated.

Also, are there any more modern guitars that sound like a strat? I really like their sound.
a stratocaster is right up your alleyway

uber vesatile and you get most of the punk sound from the distortion/overdrive anyways

to switch between the rhythm and lead put a signal booster before the distortion
Opus Pocus =]
My pick would be a HSS strat. The humbucker greatly helps with the punk/metal sound while it still has most of the tones strats are known for.
Are there any more modern equivalents of a strat's sound? If not, i have seen an hss in th local guitarcenter.

Also, since i dont have the money for an MIA strat, how much different is an MIM?
Mia- Made in America by mexicans.
Mim- made in mexico by mexicans.

Dont quote me but Im pretty sure its the same hardware.
^Thumbs up this guy.
A HSS Strat. I hate how they look, but... would do the job. Throw a SH-4 JB in the bridge, just like Billie Joe on his Blue.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Mia- Made in America by mexicans.
Mim- made in mexico by mexicans.

Dont quote me but Im pretty sure its the same hardware.

Are you positive its the same hardware? Cause some people claim that MIM's have a different sound...
Quote by jbongi14
Are you positive its the same hardware? Cause some people claim that MIM's have a different sound...

I have an MIM with some pretty weak pickups. I'd assume there's some of the same hardware, but definitely not the pickups.
Quote by jbongi14

Nope, I'm not. Not at all. Hence the 'dont quote me'.
Ive heard every strat has a different sound. Guitar by guitar basis. Some are just built better.
epiphone nighthawk. its more diverse than most things out there. plus it gets punk sounds pretty good, but can also sound like a strat.
Thanks for the responses. Is the MIA worth the huuuge price increase???
Quote by 00_hns_00
epiphone nighthawk. its more diverse than most things out there. plus it gets punk sounds pretty good, but can also sound like a strat.

It also looks like a massive turd.

HSS or Blacktop Strat. You'd consider a pickup change on either of them. Although, I play the same kind of music as you in one of my bands and I use a £20 hot humbucker in a strat I picked up off of eBay which does the job fine.

Obviously the one on the left.