Page 1 of 2
I see Paul Gilbert stopped using Laney and now he is using this Amp. Have any of you tried it? What do you think of this Marshall Amp? What genres can you play through it?
i've played it quite a bit. it's on my short list of heads to try to get for cheap used someday.

i obviously like it.

it's a modern take on an old school type amp. it covers everything up through a led zep sort of gain.

while it does sound it's best loud, it does low volume pretty well. if you are the kind of player that likes to crank an amp into it's sweet spot and do most of the work with your volume knob great, but they added a footswitch for a second dynamic range that you can stop on.

the overview here is very accurate imo and details how the dynamic range functions using an extra pre-amp tube for more dirt.
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2266
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My father owns one. The half-stack version. It sounds pretty good. Very old school, simple controls. It works for what he plays (60s, 70s rock). Not a lot of bells and whistles but its got pretty decent tone. It has nice cleans, very rich distortion, sweet overdrive its just takes some time EQing to dial in the right settings. Especially with the 'body' and 'detail' knobs.

The reverb sucks, but I don't know too many built in reverbs that ARE good.

Overall: If you want to capture the 60s, 70, and 80s rock sound, this is your amp.
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Is it possible to get a nice metal sound with an overdrive? Not Modern or extreme metal, but something more Heavy/Thrash/Speed.
Yes.

EDIT: To elaborate, with the correct pedal you can pull off good early Metallica/Megadeth style tones.
Last edited by Jyrgen at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by Perverockstar69
Is it possible to get a nice metal sound with an overdrive? Not Modern or extreme metal, but something more Heavy/Thrash/Speed.

Hmm...I can't say on that. I don't play that type of music and never sought out a type of tone like that when I fiddled with it. I suppose it could be capable of getting and old school classic metal sound.

I'll let somebody else chime in that has experience seeking that type of sound out of it.
Orange PPC412C
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
it's the wrong amp if you want a good metal tone from the amp without pedals.

anything is capable with help from a pedal, but imo you'd be better suited to get an amp geared for that.

so basically not a marshall.
Quote by gregs1020
it's the wrong amp if you want a good metal tone from the amp without pedals.

anything is capable with help from a pedal, but imo you'd be better suited to get an amp geared for that.

so basically not that marshall.

Fixxed.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
As much as I hate to say it, the Vintage Modern is a sick, sick amp.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
As much as I hate to say it, the Vintage Modern is a sick, sick amp.

I don't know dude, there is something about that amp that attracts me... And I haven't tried it, where I live is impossible. But seriously, there's something about that amp...
^ No, I mean it's a great design when I say it's sick.

I hate that it has a footswitch and looks like a damn computer inside, but gods, that tone!

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
It's the only decent new Marshall apart from the Class 5. Having said that though, it's not a metal amp. You can get a decent metal tone out of it with the right pedals but you could also say that about a JTM45 and nobody would ever call that a metal amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, I do like the idea of this amp, hugely! But still I need more versatility (both tone and power options) so I can dig in a good range of sounds that are suitable for recording, practicing and gigging.
That's why I'm buying the Royal Atlantic next week, but THIS BABY is gonna be my next buy for sure (combo I think).

By the way, I'm not looking for a metal amp (I play Alt Rock, Blues, Classic Rock, Latin...), but something that can achieve a good classic metal tone with a couple of pedals, that's more than enough for making me happy .

Thank you for your suggestions, if you think there's a clip of this amp I need to see/hear, plz let me know.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ No, I mean it's a great design when I say it's sick.

I hate that it has a footswitch and looks like a damn computer inside, but gods, that tone!

Jajajaja I knew you were meaning that, I just said... =).
Wow, I feel like I have a pretty good ear for tone and I found this amp to be very bland. Sterile considering the price tag on it. Maybe I've just played a couple duds (I've played both head and combo versions, though). The cleans were toneless and the distortions didn't have much more character than the cleans.

I'm not a huge Marshall fan, but I'm no hater. I love the Class 5 and think the Haze is solid for its price. Absolutely love the old Artist 3203 - one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Sep 7, 2011,
Those 3203 Artists were a weird one. SS preamp and full EL34 AB power amp but only operating at 30W so the valves were loafing down around 100V iirc. A good set of valves could last a lifetime. I wouldn't say they were the best Marshall but I would definitely put them up near the top of any list of hybrids.
I'd prefer an Artiste from the 70's though. A lot of people mix those up. The Artiste was a better amp imo but as far as hybrids go the Artist wasn't a bad thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Those 3203 Artists were a weird one. SS preamp and full EL34 AB power amp but only operating at 30W so the valves were loafing down around 100V iirc. A good set of valves could last a lifetime. I wouldn't say they were the best Marshall but I would definitely put them up near the top of any list of hybrids.
I'd prefer an Artiste from the 70's though. A lot of people mix those up. The Artiste was a better amp imo but as far as hybrids go the Artist wasn't a bad thing.

Hmm, I must be mistaken then. Whatever amp I played was all tube.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
Hmm, I must be mistaken then. Whatever amp I played was all tube.

May have been a Artiste 2048/2068, not an Artist. Those were pretty cool.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think it is possible to get a nice metal sound with an overdrive
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 7, 2011,
So far I have yet to find a marshall with the voicing for anything but 80s and trash metal. Closest I´ve come was the JVM, but they just don´t have the chug for it.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by 3074326
Wow, I feel like I have a pretty good ear for tone and I found this amp to be very bland. Sterile considering the price tag on it. Maybe I've just played a couple duds (I've played both head and combo versions, though). The cleans were toneless and the distortions didn't have much more character than the cleans.

I'm not a huge Marshall fan, but I'm no hater. I love the Class 5 and think the Haze is solid for its price. Absolutely love the old Artist 3203 - one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.

The stock tubes and speakers are mediocre.

The amp benefits greatly from a Greenback 4x12 and a preamp swap.

It sounds best above 6 on the Master. (Like any Marshall, really)

Quote by bubb_tubbs

I'll second that. My dads doesn't get to sounding good until you really crank it. Def not a bed room player thats for sure. Annoys my mom to bits

Also, I have to say I don't think the stock G12s sound all that bad in cab though. Maybe its just me.
Orange PPC412C
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Quote by Perverockstar69
So you guys think the Class 5 is a nice rock n' roll choice? (Let's say for recording and jamming)

I've heard it sounds pretty sweet. One of the more decent products Marshall makes right now besides the VM. I've heard it takes alot of cranking to get good distortion out of it though. Pedal maybe for lower volumes?

Are you jamming with a drummer or just another guitarist/bassist?
Orange PPC412C
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Quote by DefRebelOrange
I've heard it sounds pretty sweet. One of the more decent products Marshall makes right now besides the VM. I've heard it takes alot of cranking to get good distortion out of it though. Pedal maybe for lower volumes?

Are you jamming with a drummer or just another guitarist/bassist?

With drummer and bassist.
But still I'm not getting this head really soon, maybe in 4 months or so, that's why I'm looking for options. I want to get a nice marshall sound. I'm spending almost all of my money buying the Royal Atlantic next week, but I'll get a bit more after that for a marshall.
+however many on the combo VM's not sounding as good as the head with a closed back cab.

+1 on greenbacks, or most variations of, being a good match to it.

and to reiterate, pretty much any amp can pull off metal with the right pedal.
So, let's say Vintage Modern and Class 5 are the Marshalls with best mojo around, right? I know they are different in more things besides the price. I do want a great sounding Marshall.
What would happen if I run the Class 5 or the Vintage Modern through the Royal Atlantic FX Loop? Or is there another way I can connect them together so I can get a new sound? Maybe the Slave? Help me here since I do not have experience on it. Thank you!
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Played the head with a cab with Greenbacks in it, and had both head and combo versions above 6. Just didn't do it for me.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
I own a Vintage Modern Head and Cab.

It is an amazing amp. One of the better Marshalls if I may say so my self.

You will not be able to get metal tones out of it without a pedal. That's a fact.

It is perfect for Classic Rock. Some describe it as a modded JTM45. It will get any classic rock sound you want. It's great for blues and I've been able to get some nice sounds out of it for funk.

It is a pretty loud amp but it does sound really good at lower volumes too. At home, I usually have it on 2 or 3. Obviously it sounds much better at higher volumes.

The reverb is shit though.

It has the basic Marshall EQ layout. But the gain is split into two. There's a Detail knob and a Body knob. The detail adjusts the treble side of the gain and the body adjusts the lower end. I usually leave the EQ where it is then adjust the tone with just the volume, detail and body.

It has two "dynamic ranges". The first, is low the second is high. The low is for old school style. It's more like the JTM45. Get very good Hendrix tones, Zeppelin, and good crunch tones. The high range, is a much higher gain. For Guns n Roses, Black Sabbath, AC/DC and you can get some higher gain stuff if it's loud enough.

It's an amazing amp, but would not be a first choice for metal. With a pedal, yeah, it could be done I reckon, depending on the pedal. But this amp is mainly for classic rock and pre-80's stuff. But, it's purple, which makes it super sexy. I hated it at first, but it grows on you and normal Marshalls look boring as hell.

As well as Paul Gilbert, it was and I believe still is, one of Slash's main amps. He now uses his Signature AFD amp alongside this. The VM was used for the latest Velvet Revolver album and some of his solo album.

Oh, the speakers are the same ones made for the Jimi Hendrix signature amp.

The combo version of this amp sounds like ass in my opinion.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Sep 7, 2011,
^ I wouldn't say the Jimi speaks are a plus. (crap)

Also, the purple is a huge strike against it IMO. The colour should be optional.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

Also, the purple is a huge strike against it IMO. The colour should be optional.

Well, I think the amp sounds amazing. Hence why I bought it

But, I swear I have seen it in black. But, in it is very sexy in purple. In most light, it looks black anyway.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

I'm pretty sure it does come in black now.
Orange PPC412C
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
^ It does, but after 4 years good luck finding a non-purp one on the used market.

I've never seen a black tolexed VM outside of a store, and paying retail for that amp is just silly when you can get it for $800.

Any thoughts on connecting the class5 or the vintage modern to the royal atlantic head?
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by Perverockstar69
Any thoughts on connecting the class5 or the vintage modern to the royal atlantic head?

Why would you want to? You'd need a load box with a line out to plug into the FX return on the Royal Atlantic. Results may or may not be something that sounds good depending on how the two power sections sound together.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
So, I guess it's a better idea to have and a/b switch for switching amps, right? I'm just looking for possibilities since I do not have much experience with this matters. Thank you.
My idea is to have more weapons (and sounds) when I'm gigging.
Ya, an A/B box with separate cabs or a head switcher into a single cab is much more usable and the latter is more practical.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ It does, but after 4 years good luck finding a non-purp one on the used market.

I've never seen a black tolexed VM outside of a store, and paying retail for that amp is just silly when you can get it for $800.

Oh yeah, true that, true that.

The purple really was kind of a random decision on the part of Marshall. Its almost as if they got shipped purple tolex on accident and just went with it.
Orange PPC412C
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
I own a VM 2466 and i gotta say it is the best amp i have ever played. I wouldnt trade it for anything!

Anyone who says you cant get a good metal sound out of it doesnt know what they are on about! Perhaps not a modern death metal sound, but a good classic metal (Maiden/Priest/GnR... and even Metallica) there is plenty of gain. I play in a Metal and and i have my Detail on 6 and Body on 4. It sounds great! I only give it a little extra kick when i go for a solo with my trusty TS9 Tube screamer!

Another thing i must add is that people do tend to write off this amp very quickly because, as any other VM owner or experienced marshall user would tell you, it isnt the easiest amp to dial in. You really have to have a proper play on it and fiddle around with it before you can make any decisions.

Also another thing, you have to fiddle with the preamp volumes and get the best setting for you out of that before you should fiddle with the EQ, which is much more for fine tweeking.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by MarshallStackLP at Sep 8, 2011,
Page 1 of 2