I don't think this would go in the original recordings section because these aren't my songs, I just recorded and mixed them and am looking for opinions on their sound.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8416500/Ceiling.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8416500/Never%20Give%20Up.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8416500/Young%20%2B%20Reckless.mp3

I'm really not too sure of what to do (or if I've done anything wrong), so I'm willing to take any feedback on the mixing at all.

And I forgot to crop the intro to Ceiling, so try to ignore the chair squeak.
I actually liked the chair squeak in Ceiling. Anyway, the vocals sound a bit funky on this one; they're sitting on top of the instruments instead of gelling with them. I'd first trying lowering the volume on them maybe 1 or 1.5 db and see how that sounds. Part of it might also be the reverb widening the vocals past any other part of the mix. Over all I really like the natural vibe and think with a few touch ups on the vocals this would be pretty killer. Also, vocal harmonies can go down a lot I think, they're pretty weak.

For Never Give Up, I think the kick should come down a bit and the snare up a tad. Vocals sound pretty good, the reverb is a bit much at some points though, in my opinion. Again, the vocal harmonies can come down quite a bit to blend better. In the future maybe double track the lower harmonies so you can pan wider and blend easier with the lead. I think the track could also benefit from a more audible bass guitar track.

The biggest problem with Young and Reckless is the harmonica and vocals fighting for prominence. I've never worked with a harmonica before so I can't really give any tips are making those two play nice. I think the drums could be a bit louder, mainly snare, kick and hi-hat.

Overall I think the way you've recorded and mixed these tracks works pretty well with the style and vibes of the songs.
As far as the vocal/harmonica problem is concerned the "vocal range" is normally between 2k and 4k. So muck around with killing some of those frequencies on the Harmonica to help them sit better together.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
As far as the vocal/harmonica problem is concerned the "vocal range" is normally between 2k and 4k. So muck around with killing some of those frequencies on the Harmonica to help them sit better together.

Oh really? Just think I'll leave this here...

Probably shoulda researched that first... and if you're trying to justify it with the 'presence and definition, that is the same for the harmonica, so you'll only end up making one duller than the other by cutting one at that range.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
That just seems wrong to me. Normal guitar frequencies in my mixes are around 150 to 10K.

I wouldn't trust that chart.

The frequencies in the mix are not the same as the fundamentals of the instrument.

More like this:

All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 6, 2011,