I need a small economic amp, its fine if its a solid state
I own a bugera V5 tube combo, amazing for blues and hard rock, but it really cant hand metal, so i wanted something to play with when i feel like raising the distortion
I guess 160 dll is as far i would like to spend
Theres a guitar center in my city
thanks

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
You might be better off with a distortion pedal in this case. maybe something like a Hardwire Metal Distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Save up a bit more and get this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-ht-series-ht-1-1w-1x8-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h74090000000000

Or get a decent pedal for your V5. Solid state+metal sounds like garbage IMO (Unless you're going for the Cannibal Corpse sound. Which still sounds like garbage to me, haha).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
i own a deltalab tubedriver, put just when i start reaching those high distortiona the amp starts sounding weird, some sort of toneless hiss coming out of it,
i heard small tube amps arent meant for metal...

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by HectorBznRg
i own a deltalab tubedriver, put just when i start reaching those high distortiona the amp starts sounding weird, some sort of toneless hiss coming out of it,
i heard small tube amps arent meant for metal...

Most of them aren't, but this one is. Here, don't take my word for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APqqzk9LgJ8
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Depends on what sort of metal we're talking here. For 80s metal and such the HT-1 is a wonderful suggestion. If you're going for heavier modern tones the Roland Cube is the better suited of the solid state suggestions. What type of tone are you going for?
Quote by souperman08

Or get a decent pedal for your V5. Solid state+metal sounds like garbage IMO (Unless you're going for the Cannibal Corpse sound. Which still sounds like garbage to me, haha).

So Dimebag sounds like garbage?
Quote by sewoo55

Yes.

Not because he used solid state though. Just because his tone sounds like utter shit
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by sewoo55

Absolutely. One of the worst tones I have ever heard in my life.

Oh, sorry, were you trying to catch me on something there?
I am a huge fan of Dimebag, Pantera, and Damageplan. But his tone was ****ing horrid. Way too sterile sounding. Luckily he was a great guitarist and the band was amazing.

That little HT-1 sounds great, so do the HT-5's. But a TubeDriver isn't really what kind of pedal you should be using with that Bugera. Even pushing that thing over its max natural overdrive isn't going to reach smooth metal tones. You would need to use the TubeDriver with a more modern style tube amp to achieve metal tones, one that has multiple preamp tubes and is more oriented for metal/rock. The best you could do on the Bugera, is get an actual distortion pedal that is made for metal and just turn the volume down on the amp, so that it is more clean and run the distortion pedal. Or find a happy medium of natural OD from the amp and run a distortion in front of it.
Quote by a_hub10
Depends on what sort of metal we're talking here. For 80s metal and such the HT-1 is a wonderful suggestion. If you're going for heavier modern tones the Roland Cube is the better suited of the solid state suggestions. What type of tone are you going for?

more of a modern metal kind of sound

to the other guys... i think i mentioned not wanting to spend more than 160 on an amp i only want to mess around with...

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
MXR Fullbore Metal - pedal
Tc Electronics Dark Matter - pedal

the MXR is very high gain even with the gain at 8 o'clock. It has a build noise gate and it sounds METAL. Most of the guys here prefer over-driven tube amp with an OD pedal, but on a vintage amp like the V5 that's not gonna happen, a pedal is all you need
Quote by BrainCrasher
MXR Fullbore Metal - pedal
Tc Electronics Dark Matter - pedal

the MXR is very high gain even with the gain at 8 o'clock. It has a build noise gate and it sounds METAL. Most of the guys here prefer over-driven tube amp with an OD pedal, but on a vintage amp like the V5 that's not gonna happen, a pedal is all you need

very helpful! thanks

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by HectorBznRg
very helpful! thanks

Your welcome.

The MXR is my next(next,next) pedal to buy. After my new delay and wah arrives
Quote by BrainCrasher
Your welcome.

The MXR is my next(next,next) pedal to buy. After my new delay and wah arrives

hey! i see u have the V22, is it good? you know as an upgrade from the v5

Quote by static_music34

good one...
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Quote by HectorBznRg
hey! i see u have the V22, is it good? you know as an upgrade from the v5

It's great. For the price, unbeatable! I think it might sound warmer than your V5 because of the speaker size. It doesn't do high gain, but with the SD-1 I can get enough drive to go into hard rock and even some Metallica sounds.
The clean stays CLEAN until volume-3 o'clock and master-5 o'clock, which is LOUD.
Do not buy the HT-1 for metal. It has no real EQ and no effects loop to stick an EQ pedal in. So you can't scoop or boost your mids. It also does not have enough bass unless you buy a 1x12" to play it through. The HT-1 is a classic rock amp. Stick with the amp you have and just get a good distortion pedal. Make sure you get a pedal that gives you control over the mids, because that's where a lot of the variety in high-gain metal tones comes from.
Quote by souperman08
Save up a bit more and get this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-ht-series-ht-1-1w-1x8-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h74090000000000

cc use triple recs
Dimebag played a ss most of his life
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by souperman08
Absolutely. One of the worst tones I have ever heard in my life.

Oh, sorry, were you trying to catch me on something there?

Panteras great southern trendkill I thought dimebags tone was pretty amazing.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by sewoo55

Kids say the darndest things.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by slipknot_420
cc use triple recs
Dimebag played a ss most of his life

Hmmm, maybe I was hearing about their earlier days? I've been told a couple times that their sound was a Peavey Transtube (lol solid state) amp with a Boss Heavy Metal pedal in front. I'm no expert on them though, heh.
If you haven't seen them yet, check out the Amptweaker TightMetal.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by jpnyc
Do not buy the HT-1 for metal. It has no real EQ and no effects loop to stick an EQ pedal in. So you can't scoop or boost your mids. It also does not have enough bass unless you buy a 1x12" to play it through. The HT-1 is a classic rock amp. Stick with the amp you have and just get a good distortion pedal. Make sure you get a pedal that gives you control over the mids, because that's where a lot of the variety in high-gain metal tones comes from.

This is very good advice - heed it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Mini Recto

Quote by slipknot_420
Panteras great southern trendkill I thought dimebags tone was pretty amazing.

His tone makes my ears bleed. That said and done, hes got some pretty awesome riffing going on.

On a serious note, at that budget, get a dist pedal. Or better, a used POD HD300 or RP500 ot something and run it through the bugs FX loop.
If it doesnt have an FX loop, Hardwire TL-2 is a good bet.
AMT Electronics also makes good dist pedals,.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 8, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Mini Recto

His tone makes my ears bleed. That said and done, hes got some pretty awesome riffing going on.

On a serious note, at that budget, get a dist pedal. Or better, a used POD HD300 or RP500 ot something and run it through the bugs FX loop.
If it doesnt have an FX loop, Hardwire TL-2 is a good bet.
AMT Electronics also makes good dist pedals,.

Yeah, it seems in TS's case a DSP would be the way to go.
Quote by 3volved
If you haven't seen them yet, check out the Amptweaker TightMetal.

Off topic.
Can you give a site where I can buy this? Or.. if it's expensive don't bother
Quote by BrainCrasher
Off topic.
Can you give a site where I can buy this? Or.. if it's expensive don't bother

http://www.amptweaker.com/page/TightMetal-Distortion-by-Amptweaker-43.aspx

$180 shipped. Depends on what you think is 'expensive'...
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
For just messing around listen to GS Lead 5. If you get more serious about it however,

WTLTL 2011