Hey guys
I want to start practising with a metronome..but im not sure how they work, so the metronme makes a noise and its like how many beats per minute i get that..but how do i use it when practising? i know this is very vague but such is my understanding of the metronome, so ill take what i can get
The numbers on the metronome show you the beats per minute (bpm). You basically decide how many notes you want to play to each beat (keeping in mind the more notes in each beats is normally harder)

E.g. If the song split into 4 beats and the chords are strumming in 8's. It would be as follows:

D U D U D U D U (D = downward strum, U = upward strum)
1 2 3 4 <-- (the number of beats)

E.g. Do a C major scale in one octave (ascending):

C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4

Or if you think you can do it faster, divide it into groups of 4 instead of groups of 2.
The important thing is to count "1,2,3,4" at the beginning and start slow.

If you really practice for like 5-15min, you'll find you can increase the speed by a bit (if u start slow) but the most important thing is start slow, say 50bpm-60bpm for like 10-15min and focus on your technique so that your brain is programmed to play it correctly.

Edit: for some reason the formatting is wrong but for the first example, 1 beat to each 2 strums (D+U)

For the second example: 2 notes to 1 beat
Last edited by ThatGuy_17 at Sep 6, 2011,
I have a fast question about the metronme.I found a free on line one and i set it to 40 bpm.because my chord changes are rough now i wanna know if iam useing it right lol.when it clicks thats when i hit the chord right??
and when it dont click i do a chrod change right??
well so far its been really good. so when i get better i will rise the bpm
so iam i useing it right?? SO FAR ITS HELPING ME. I SHOULD HAVE USED IT SOONER
You should read something regarding basic music theory. Notions of time signatures could really help you for example.

Here is a website that could help you: http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

Remember that music theory can only help you on the long run. Just as the metronome, the sooner you start, the better!
metronomes are meant to help you with practising you're rhythm and timing. the idea is that you set the bpm to that of the song/music you'd like to play and then use the sheet music which tells you when and how long to play each note.

You can also set them to a time signature which will give yo an accented note to signify each bar of music.

Like Tazz said, you can use a metronome to simply practice playing chords / notes faster by hitting the string(s) on each beat and slowly raising the tempo of the metronome. I'd also recommend looking at youtube for some beginner theory on time signatures and rhythm. This will help you understand statements such as "strumming in 8's" as ThatGuy mentions above and is a good first step in an important part of music theory.
The easiest way to learn to use a metronome to build speed is to first understand the basic subdivisions of notes:

Whole note: 4 beats
Half note: 2 beats
Quarter note: 1 beat
Eighth note: half a beat (2 per beat)
Sixteenth note: quarter of a beat (4 per beat)

There's also triplets, dotted notes, double dotted notes, odd note groupings, etc. but you can read up about those yourself if you need to.

Then to actually use the metronome, figure out the note durations of what you're trying to play. So if you are practising something in 4/4 time (4 beats per bar), if there's 2 notes in the first beat, then one note on the second beat, then 4 notes, then one note, it would be something like this:

e|-x---x---x-------x-x-x-x-x-------
B|-x---x---x-------x-x-x-x-x-------
G|-x---x---x-------x-x-x-x-x-------
D|-x---x---x-------x-x-x-x-x-------
A|-x---x---x-------x-x-x-x-x-------
E|-x---x---x-------x-x-x-x-x-------
   +       +       +       +

The +'s are the clicks of the metronome, and the x's are just to represent notes because I was too lazy to actually come up with something musical.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
The easiest way to learn to use a metronome to build speed is to first understand the basic subdivisions of notes:

Whole note: 4 beats
Half note: 2 beats
Quarter note: 1 beat
Eighth note: half a beat (2 per beat)
Sixteenth note: quarter of a beat (4 per beat)

This can easily be confusing as what you've written only applies when the lower numeral of the time signature is a 4 ie. 2/4, 4/4, 8/4 etc

I think trying to pass on quick advice like this can be detrimental to someone who is obviously trying to get their head round the basics. This stuff isn't complicated (to understand at least) but it needs to be explained properly otherwise it's just confusing.

I'd thoroughly recommend an online tutorial series which will introduce these ideas correctly and gradually. I used guitartricks.com and would recommend it, but i'm sure there are free options and youtube channels which will do the same