I'm taking Performing Music and college and my tutor has told me that I need to get a set of good headphones as a lot of the corse will be mixing and sequencing using logic pro. I would like to know your opinions on good headphones.
Thanks
obviously $3 earbuds from walmart

edit: nevermind, you're from the UK so no $, and i don't know if walmart even exists outside the US
Last edited by olix95 at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by JNBloomy
Obviously someones not funny

can't take a joke?
How much are you willing to spend? Bose, sennheiser, Sony, JBL etc all make decent monitoring headphones.
Try getting something with active noise cancelling.
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
I always enjoyed my Sennheiser 280s. I think you can get them for about AU$150/US$100 ish, not sure about uk.

Although though it may have been a joke, olix actually makes a good point. If you plan to produce and release, you need to know what your music will sound like through the common man's headphones, since most people aren't going to have nice studio headphones (unlucky bastards).
Like stated before, what's your price range? I'll admit i haven't had that much experience with expensive headphones but i have found out that Bose tend to be very overpriced so i'd try to stay away from them. Another brand to stay away from are those dr dre headphones that are getting very popular. Unlike NakedInTheRain , i personally love Sennheiser products since i've found them to be really good quality for the price.

EDIT: I always enjoyed my Sennheiser 280s. I think you can get them for about AU$150/US$100 ish, not sure about uk.

Although though it may have been a joke, olix actually makes a good point. If you plan to produce and release, you need to know what your music will sound like through the common man's headphones, since most people aren't going to have nice studio headphones (unlucky bastards).

I'd also recommend eventually investing in a good pair of monitor speakers. I prefer mixing using headphones but speakers allow you to get a different perspective. I'm not saying using headphones is bad, but getting to hear both can help a lot.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Sep 6, 2011,
http://www.beatsbydre.com/

Flame me, I don't care, I swear by these headphones now.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G
Last edited by DefectedFromGod at Sep 6, 2011,
I have the regular Bose around ear headphones. I think they sound great. I bought them for $150.
I have Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro's and I fucking love them. They may be a little pricey but they were definitely worth it, they beat my cheapo £20 Sennheiser's hands down.

That being said, If I had the cash I would buy a good pair of monitors..or even do what most studios do and get a couple of NS10's and use them to reference away from your main monitors.
Quote by DefectedFromGod
http://www.beatsbydre.com/

Flame me, I don't care, I swear by these headphones now.

these headphones may be good for some peoples general music listening, but they would work terribly as studio headphones, because of how high the bass is boosted in them. studio headphones should always have the clearest, flattest eq response, so you know exactly what your mix sounds like
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250ohm (not 80ohm!)

~€150

It's a professional life time investment (and not a big one).

Pieces are sold separately in case something happens.
There are 3 headphones I've either used in the past or still use...and still suggest someone buy today.

1) AKG K 240 MK II
These headphones have an open design and are very easy to wear all day. The sound response is actually quite good from them as well. The only down side is the price at $200.

2) Sennheiser HD280 Pro
3) Grado Labs SR80

Between 2 and 3, I use both almost daily! The Grados have a more natural sound, especially if you're singing or talking with them on your ears as the open design doesn't muffle the sound. The Sennheisers on the other hand really isolate the room noise and have a great sound quality to them, tight bass....but if you start talking with them on, I find it sounds like you have your fingers in your ears....which really bugs me personally.

All three are a great choice but in the end, I tend to go back to the Grados for my every day listening and Sennheisers for anything work based out of my studio.

NOW...

If you plan on mixing music, it is HIGHLY suggested that you not use headphones as you separate the L and R channel too much and have that proximity effect, but if you're in a classroom, you really don't have a choice......

http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 6, 2011,
I had a pair of Sony MXR D200's for my music tech course last year and they did the job for £20
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic