I really want to start reading books about music theory(i play guitar) and music history.

Any suggestions?

Ive found a couple books on Amazon:

Music history

Music Theory

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Guitarists-Everything-Wanted/dp/063406651X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315304347&sr=1-1

And a couple of more questions:

What are your book suggestions? Would you recommend these books to me or anyone else? Considering im a guitarist, i should be reading guitar theory books? How a guitar theory book can be any different from a normal theory book?

Thanks in advance.
You could try Tom Kolb's Music Theory for Guitarists, it is very good and what I am currently working with.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
Well there's not really a "guitar theory book".

There are books that show jazz and classical theory applied on guitar, but that's 50/50ish kind of stuff.

A nice intermediate - advanced book would be Mark Levine's Jazz theory book.

I myself learned most theory from the internet and these forum's and friends, but I also picked stuff out from books.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 6, 2011,
I see.

Im looking for the basics now, such as scales and keys and what do they mean(in guitar) should i therefore take a guitar theory book, or any theory applies?
Quote by Pettah
I like how the first post recommends a theory book for guitar, and the second post claims they doesnt exist x)

I meant that guitar doesn't have it's own music theory. It's all the same, hence why I said that.

This was in reference to this line in the original post:
How a guitar theory book can be any different from a normal theory book?

You do have theory books that apply theory to the guitar which I said so in my 2nd sentence.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Standarduser
So a general theory book will be good for me i presume.

Yes any basic theory book to get you started. (I have good faith in that any basic theory book should be accurate).

I'd go with the first link you posted (idiot's guide).

Don't buy the dummies book, it's too much written as if it were a story imo, and distracts.

You could also check some articles here in the UG database.

If you decide on one or two books, read em through, and you can ask anything you don't understand in this forum. This is a good approach imo.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I can't comment on the history books. I did listen to a great music lecture series by Robert Greenberg, this:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=700

(Kinda spendy, but really great. Also, they have sales twice a year where everything is half off).

As for theory, I always have to ask a question, first:

How's your ear?

If your ear is good, I recommend "Harmony and Theory" by Keith Wyatt et al.
If your ear is only so-so, I recommend "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musicians" by the same authors. You'll learn a lot of theory in the context of how to hear it, and then you can read their other book and get more out of it. But theory doesn't mean a ton if your ear isn't good enough for you to process it mentally - so start with the ear.
Quote by Standarduser
I really want to start reading books about music theory(i play guitar) and music history.

Any suggestions?

Music history

Music Theory

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Guitarists-Everything-Wanted/dp/063406651X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315304347&sr=1-1

What are your book suggestions? Would you recommend these books to me or anyone else? Considering im a guitarist, i should be reading guitar theory books? How a guitar theory book can be any different from a normal theory book?

Thanks in advance.

I'm reading that Idiots Guide to Music Theory book. I like it. I'm reading it alongside Fingerboard Theory for Guitar (they're both library books) and so far I prefer the Idiots Guide. It has questions at the end of every chapter that help to ensure you've taken the information on board.

The Hal Leonard Theory book, and the Guitar Fretboard Workbook both get good reviews.

EDIT
The author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory maintains an errata list on his website.
Last edited by another_dave at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by Standarduser

Any suggestions?

Music history

Music Theory

Thanks in advance.

It's really nice collection. I Really like it..!!
I don't know of a single good music theory book that I could recommend. I hope that someday that will change. For now I recommend getting a teacher. We teach it but it's not in a book, so that wouldn't exactly meet your needs, as ours is online.

Mike Dodge has some great theory and guitar lessons on his website. Also Music-theory.net is frequently recommended here. Good luck.

Best,

Sean
I teach theory online as well, but if you're looking for a good theory book, there are plenty of them out there that you could learn from. I wouldn't worry about finding the "best" book. Just get one, and get started on it.

as for a specific recommendation, Music theory for dummies isn't a bad place to start.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 8, 2011,