I drilled the holes for the bolts in the neck and body of my mahogany telecaster build a while back, and it suddenly struck me that bolting and unbolting that neck regularly for truss rod adjustment etc could eventually strip the holes in the neck. Does this happen or am I just being paranoid? How many times would I have to remove the neck for this to happen? And are there any preventative measures I can take? Sorry if I sound stupid or if this has been done to death

thanks
Gear:
Admira Artista classical guitar
$99 Steel string (actually quite good!)
COMING SOON... FREAK MAHOGANY TELE!
Exactly 17 times.
Nah, just kidding.

As long as you're not over tightening it, it'll last as long as any other piece of wood with a bolt in it. It needs to be firm but not tightening it more than nescessary/what it was originally. I don't think truss rod adjustment is common enough to be of concern.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I want pics of ur build
I think you should just be reaaaaally careful with how you're bolting the thing. And of course try to keep it as little times as possible.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Like these gents before already said: going easy on the bolts will make your neck live longer. They are not made to be bolted on and of different bodies every day, so go slow and don't put additional stress on the poor thing!
There are things called threaded inserts for tele/strat necks that have to be taken off time to time. They have a few merits, like:
-the holes don't strip. You're not using a wood screw, but a real bolt to screw into the insert that'll be inserted into the neck.
-u can tighten them like a mofo. Adds sustain and sturdiness to the guitar.

I have them in my strat, they work. I stripped one of the screws, and thought I was doomed, til I found these.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
There are things called threaded inserts for tele/strat necks that have to be taken off time to time. They have a few merits, like:
-the holes don't strip. You're not using a wood screw, but a real bolt to screw into the insert that'll be inserted into the neck.
-u can tighten them like a mofo. Adds sustain and sturdiness to the guitar.

I have them in my strat, they work. I stripped one of the screws, and thought I was doomed, til I found these.

that's brilliant! I may have to install those when I get a chance.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I know people sell the inserts in kits, but the ones ive seen are just brass wood inserts & machine screws. The "made for guitar" kits ive seen are $20 or more but many hardware stores sell the same things for between $5-$10.

If you want to try to get them locally they're usually 8-32 inserts (thats the size & thread) for a strat, but some people use the larger 10-24 inserts for extra clamping force.