Yo,

Basically my top strings (E B G) are louder on my electric than the bottom strings. I think it has something to do with the tone knob. If the tone knob is at zero then no signal goes to the amp at all where as when it is at ten there is a signal (sound heard) but the top strings are much louder. Is there a quick fix to this, or is it to the guitar shop?

Cheers
Quote by jmtownsend2011
Yo,

Basically my top strings (E B G) are louder on my electric than the bottom strings. I think it has something to do with the tone knob. If the tone knob is at zero then no signal goes to the amp at all where as when it is at ten there is a signal (sound heard) but the top strings are much louder. Is there a quick fix to this, or is it to the guitar shop?

Cheers

That would be a volume knob then, not a tone knob.

It sounds like an issue with the pickup height, which you can correct yourself
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
That would be a volume knob then, not a tone knob.

It sounds like an issue with the pickup height, which you can correct yourself

Well seeing as it says tone on it, I don't think it is smart arse!
Quote by jmtownsend2011
Well seeing as it says tone on it, I don't think it is smart arse!

yes, because sticking a plastic knob that says "tone" on it automatically means it should function as a tone control even if it's wired as a volume control.

what you described is a volume control. you haven't given any information as to whether it should really be a tone control or whether it just has the wrong knob attached to it.

as for your string volume problem - don't call pigeonmafia a smartarse for giving you the solution to the problem... your pickups should have screws either side of them - by adjusting the height at each side you can balance out the volume between strings - closer to the strings = louder, further away = quieter.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
........don't call pigeonmafia a smartarse for giving you the solution to the problem........

This pretty much.
It's already been said, but I'd like to reinforce the point: It is a problem with the height of your pickup/s.
I love you guys
That's the volume control.... Adjust the pickup height and find out what knob actually does what.
Quote by Saint78
Dude you haven't lived until you've licked chocolate pudding out of a fat ladies back boob.

Quote by Boer Goat
I have never given a golf stack

Congratulations sir.
Quote by iampeter
doesn't the treble strings cut through better making it sound louder?

In a mix, yes

On their own, no
Quote by pigeonmafia
In a mix, yes

On their own, no

but of course the TS might also be doing something silly with his EQ like turning the bass down to 0 and the treble up to 10 which would definitely throw the balance off a bit

i used to do that when i first started playing electric guitar, and thought it was just normal for the top strings to sound louder and incredibly piercing
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by jmtownsend2011
Yo,

Cheers

Although the strings aren't to blame, IMO, it's the pickup height problem. If the pickups are parallel to the strings, have a luthier do a pickup tap test to see if any of the pickup coils are defected. If so, you might need to replace the pickups. Have the pickups tested first! This is VERY CRUCIAL! A simple pickup test will tell you.
PS Are the pickups loose? If so, it's the factory defect.