hi, is there anyone who owns or has played a gibson les paul studio?
i bought one a while ago, and for blues and stuff that thing is amazing.

but for more metal-like sounds it kind of sucks. classic heavy metal sounds ok but heavyer stuff just doesn't sound right. is this only my guitar?

has anyone changed their pick ups on a studio to get a better sound and what type did you use?

my amp is a Marshall ma50C (tube). it's not the amp because my Jackson sounds brutal trough it.

any replies are apriciated
lol brutal... i laugh every time i see that word used in a serious way.

to answer your question - the pick ups on the studio are not made for really heavy distortion, either look for new pick ups (get emg while you are at it) or maybe try some distortion pedals and see if it sounds any better.
What kind of metal sound? Gibson guitars usually have a dark, full and rich sound, while Jackson sound is more "cutting" and brutal. Many players use Gibson for metal though.
Les paul studios are generally ok for metal but much better for rock and blues. Try putting it on the treble pickup and run it through an ibanez tubescreamer or just mess around with the gain and eq

Or get an EMG in the treble position and keep the rhythm one, itll make your guitar more versatile and good for bluess and more brutal types of metal at the same time although if you already have a guitar for metal what the point of giving another guitar the same sound. I would only ever buy a guitar that sound different plays different things better than my other one. eg: one four blues and one for metal
Last edited by itamar101 at Sep 6, 2011,
^ a single passive and a single active don't make for a good balance imo. unless you meant a passive EMG in which case...

TS - the MA50C is more the issue than the guitar imo. good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
^ a single passive and a single active don't make for a good balance imo. unless you meant a passive EMG in which case...

I did mean passive
thanks for the replies

Quote by gregs1020

when i tested the guitar in the store i used a tsl 100 head with full stack, that was indeed a lot better, (how can it not be) but i don't have the funds to get a new amp at the moment.

Quote by itamar101
if you already have a guitar for metal what the point of giving another guitar the same sound. I would only ever buy a guitar that sound different plays different things better than my other one. eg: one four blues and one for metal

you have a point, but the jackson has become quite unreliable over the years. that's why i bought the LP. if i put EMG's in the LP they will probably still sound different since they are 2 different guitars or am i wrong?

will it still be possible to get nice blues tones out of it with those EMG's?
Quote by itamar101
Les paul studios are generally ok for metal but much better for rock and blues. Try putting it on the treble pickup and run it through an ibanez tubescreamer or just mess around with the gain and eq

Or get an EMG in the treble position and keep the rhythm one, itll make your guitar more versatile and good for bluess and more brutal types of metal at the same time although if you already have a guitar for metal what the point of giving another guitar the same sound. I would only ever buy a guitar that sound different plays different things better than my other one. eg: one four blues and one for metal

Good nice
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by vince1991

will it still be possible to get nice blues tones out of it with those EMG's?

Purists and elitists will literally murder you with your own guitar.

I had a similar issue with my epi LP sounding dull as dishwater (junk epiphone pickups were fine in my SG because it was half the thickness, but they just dont cut it in a LP) so i swapped in some of these.

Highly reccomended imo!
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Quote by DOHC
Purists and elitists will literally murder you with your own guitar.

I had a similar issue with my epi LP sounding dull as dishwater (junk epiphone pickups were fine in my SG because it was half the thickness, but they just dont cut it in a LP) so i swapped in some of these.

Highly reccomended imo!

lol

damn those thing look sweet!

i'm going to check these out. thanks dude
Quote by vince1991
lol

damn those thing look sweet!

i'm going to check these out. thanks dude

if you can drop $400 on pick ups, you can afford to do something about the amp.

personally, i'd lose the MA and get something more versatile and better for what you play. i'd start by considering a XXX or JSX combo, both of which are probably available for what you have in the MA combo. good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I forgot they're more expensive over there.

Dimarzios mebbe?
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
never really had it for Dimarzio. don't know why. i could not even find the price for the Bareknuckle's.

i'll just save up for a better amp. maybe install some EMG's in the meantime since saving money takes a long time for a working man in this piece of **** country.

thanks a lot
Don't bother with the EMGs. They are not the answer to instant metal tone and it means it'll take you even longer to save up for the amp. Wait, save, get the amp first.
Honestly, it seems more like your amp is the problem than the guitar. I've had a studio for around a year now, and haven't had any problems getting metal tones playing through a peavey vk 1 12. But back to the guitar, if your pups are sounding dull, it might have to do with their height as well. It could be as simple as raising them up a quarter inch.