I am sooooooooooo frustrated.

I have two things I like to do in my spare time. I love to ride my mountain bike (Trek Fuel EX9 for those of you in the know) deep in the woods and downhill and I love to play my guitar.

A number weeks ago I had a pretty good spill and dislocated the two middle fingers on my right (strumming) hand. I put them back in place on the trail and kept riding. I was at the hospital a couple of days ago getting stitched up after another fall and the doctor asked to look at my fingers. To make a long story short, I have ended up having surgery to realign my fingers and to keep them from scissoring and crossing over each other. This means I'll be off my bike for 6 weeks and unable to play my guitar for a similar length of time. I have a splint that looks like a set of brass knuckles on my hand and a few bandages covering the incisions. I have to keep my fingers as still as possible to allow then to heal properly. This weekend I was able to strum a little by using my thumb but it's really not "playing" if you know what I mean.

This sucks. Just thought I'd say so............

Yeah mate, i've just come down with rsi, but it seems like you've got it worse :/ Even so, i understand it's frustrating, I hope your recovery goes well.
I hear you... I cut straight across the tip of my index finger really bad about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I haven't been able to play at all since. Still waiting for it to heal, probably another week or so until I can play without severe pain... (I tried last night and it hurt like crazy just pressing the string at all)...
Simple answer GIVE UP THE BIKE. You are less likely to have dislocated fingers from playing. Though having said that I dislocated my little finger (strumming hand) by getting it caught in the "F" hole of my Dobro Resonator. It also cut the finger reasonably as well. I was getting a bit carried away with the strum pattern (picking actually).

All jokes aside I hope you are back on your "hands" real soon.
A friend of mine is just learning guitar right handed (he's a lefty) as he seriously cut tendons & shit in his fingering hand, so decided to learn as a righty so as to have a fingering hand that works. He just uses his crippled hand to strum.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
dude that sux, i suggest you try and may be play some piano with your left hand? go get a keyboard from GC or something (that you can later take back in the next 30 days you know) and just try fiddling with it, you might end up with a desire to continue it when your hand heals. there's never enough instruments to be able to play
Use your thumb and forefinger. Pick down with thumb and up with forefinger. Alternate your thumb
say between the D and A strings use forefinger to pick other strings. It doesnt have to be D and A
thats an example. This is a effective technique thats easy to learn. More like a cheating fingerpick.
I have taught this method to people who have lost strumming fingers. Cheers
Just wait till it heals. It is a good reminder NOT to be so boistrous on your bike. It is no good at all to learn new strum patterns or similar if your hand is going to heal.
do your physio exercises & then play till it kills you. This will aide in a speedy recovery. Use it or loose it.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Just wait till it heals. It is a good reminder NOT to be so boistrous on your bike. It is no good at all to learn new strum patterns or similar if your hand is going to heal.
do your physio exercises & then play till it kills you. This will aide in a speedy recovery. Use it or loose it.

You and I are on exactly the same page!! Except I couldn't picture dialing the bike back. In fact, I'm always looking to go bigger and faster. I just have to have more predictable wipeouts. So far this year, I've had a broken wrist, torn up ankle, 8 stitches in my forearm and surgery to correct two dislocated fingers. All in four separate spills. It's been a bad year that way.

f there are any riders on here they'll know what I'm talking about.
Hey man sorry to hear that. You have to try to just wait it out 6 weeks and let them heal man. You may be a little rusty but just think about how good it will feel to play after that much time. When I was a kid I broke the pinky finger on my fretting hand playing kickball and couldn't play for a short period of time. Just be grateful your fingers will heal and the damage is not permanent.
KonaNuNu While Im not a racer (rider) I was (in my youth) a pro athlete (water skiing) & I know about body damage & repair. & have a few unrepairable injuries still (age 55 now). There is no substitute for calmness at the time of the injury. If you can keep calm while going ass up at 60MPH down the side of a hill, you have more chance of not getting hurt so bad if your head is on the job (instead of thinking "oh shit this is how it happens") the micro seconds you have to make a choice. Which could be the choice of, 6 weeks off from injury or still entered in next weeks event. But the end result is use it or loose it
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
KonaNuNu While Im not a racer (rider) I was (in my youth) a pro athlete (water skiing) & I know about body damage & repair. & have a few unrepairable injuries still (age 55 now). There is no substitute for calmness at the time of the injury. If you can keep calm while going ass up at 60MPH down the side of a hill, you have more chance of not getting hurt so bad if your head is on the job (instead of thinking "oh shit this is how it happens") the micro seconds you have to make a choice. Which could be the choice of, 6 weeks off from injury or still entered in next weeks event. But the end result is use it or loose it

I know exactly what you mean DF. I'm 48 years old and still enjoy the adrenaline rush of the speed and being half in control and half out of control on a bike. Most falls are completely under control and I'm very aware of where my body is as it's flying/tumbling through the air (all this must sound weird to most of you). These injuries were all bad luck stuff. Nothing more.

I appreciate your thoughts on being fully healed before givin' er again
I've taken up RC helicopter for my adrenaline buzz these days. As the injuries get more devastating & more frequent the older I get from more physical endevours. It is hard enough to keep up the conubial duties without cramping or similar nowdays. LMFAO. My exercise comes from what I call "guerilla boating" I have an electric powered RC boat 1.5m or 4' long & trek into our local (Blue Mountains near Sydney) rivers & streams. Then run the boat & trek out. I have made a backpack-ish thing to carry the boat so I can have my hands free. I find this very exillerating & has a dual purpose. I get exercise & take the trusty iPhone & get footage for my blogs.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE BOAT RUN CLICK ON THE PIC

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 10, 2011,