Hi,
I'm just starting out playing with another guitarist and we're hoping to get gigging soon.

I've got a Marshall AVT-50 amp which I'm happy with and should be fine for band practice and gigging for the moment.

The other guitarist currently has a 10w practice amp which he is looking to upgrade.

He knows someone who is selling a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT for what appears to be a good price and he's asked me whether it's any good. The AD15VT has some good reviews but is 15w going to be enough against a drummer and my 50w Marshall or should I recommend something else instead?
15watts is really pushing it against drums. I had my Fender Frontman 15g (very loud in the house) on 8 and I couldnt really hear myself over the drums. And I didnt want to push that little thing to the max. And the drummer wasnt really that hard of a hitter either.

I would of recommended a VOX amp of any sort already, but 15watts wont cut it. I would look for something of at least 25-30 watts and to have some headroom. 30+ watts should do.

Look into other VOX, amps, they have some reallly good ones. Peavy, Fender, and Marshall are what I recommend for amps that can be easily found around the states.

What is his price range, is he looking for built in effects, looking for a tube amp, modeling amp?
Thanks,
That kind of confirms what I was thinking.

He's mentioned effects pedals to me so I recommended he got an amp with the effects built in so he could get both things in one purchase. - The AD15VT he's looking at does have the built in effects and the guy he knows is selling it for £70 (about $110) which seems reasonable to me. My concern was just the wattage really.

I don't really know his price range but I guess it is something similar £70 - £100 ($100 - $160)
I don't think whether it's a tube amp or modelling amp really matters.
I just looked it up, and it does have effects, but its a waste when all your getting is 15watts. Well a tube amp is more expensive and is usually fairly loud. They tend to have a warmer and brighter sound to them. I have a Marshall Haze 40 which actually turns out to be 70-80watts of solid state amps. And modeling amps have preset tones and effects. Like say, (Example) if I wanted to play some Ac/dc, Highway to hell. It would have that tone and everything set in. It would also have like a setting for something set for softer songs aswell.
a 15w valvetronix will not get over the drums properly. If you were talking about a valvetronix 50w it would be another story but still. Also, the effects are good but if you wanna switch between distortion and clean it means going up to the amp manually. So you'll need to use the clean model (which is pretty nice sounding to be fair) and then use distortion pedals on it more than likley.
15 watts solid state or hybrid amp is not enough to be heard over a drummer, unless the drummer is VERY light handed.
15 watts tube MIGHT be.
The AD15VT may work for at home. And maybe for band practice, But just barely.
But it won't be very clean if you have to crank it loud enough to be heard along with a drummer.
He might be able to find the AD30VT used in his price range.
http://valvetronix.net has all sorts of settings.

Quote by Zoot Allures
a 15w valvetronix will not get over the drums properly. If you were talking about a valvetronix 50w it would be another story but still. Also, the effects are good but if you wanna switch between distortion and clean it means going up to the amp manually. So you'll need to use the clean model (which is pretty nice sounding to be fair) and then use distortion pedals on it more than likley.

Nope, the footswitch changes channels and effects on/off settings.
One channel set for clean, one channel set for dirt.
If you want to change amp MODELS, then that has to be done manually.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 6, 2011,
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll recommend he goes for something with a higher wattage - 30w +

So there'e the 30w version of the amp he's looking at and I've heard good things about the Peavey Vypyrs
is there anything else you'd recommend?

The only other I can think of is the Line6 spider however I've heard that they aren't that reliable.
I have a peavey vypyr 30 W it has very good distortion (for a modeller, everything here is taken in consideration of the price range i.e. its not gonna be like a mesa triple rec) and the cleans are useable, you have to pick and choose your effects well, the reverb and delay are good, but i don't like the MOG or octaver, phaser and pitch shifter, however the tubescreamer is useable as is the fuzz, but only if your looking for a sound similar to that found in woman by wolfmother, aka not AC/DC style. For all modelling amps you would need the footswitch to make them worth while to gig with, but the Sanpera 1 would do. Your guitarist will need to save some more money as the vypyr 30W + Sanpera 1 is looking to be £200-300 new, not sure second hand
Go for more than 30w. I have a vox vt30 that I use for backup, it BARELY keeps up with drums. Your AVT50 will drown out anything smaller than 30w if you're both playing with drums, especialy if you're using it on the od channel. You could play really quietly but playing quietly leads to impotence and diabetes.
We're playing alternatve, rock and pop stuff mainly so don't need anything that has to handle metal
Alright, I didn't read the ENTIRE thread, but I understand that one guy said 15 watts wasn't enough for playing with a drummer, which is only true to a certain extent.

A friend of mine is a drummer, so one time I took my guitar and my gear to his house, and at the time I was using a Fender frontman 15G. (Small 15 watt solid-state practice amp-sounds like sh*t) Could barely hear it over his drumming even with the volume maxed. Then I got a Vox AC15 (15 watt tube amp) and put a distortion pedal in front of it as a boost (gain at 0 and level at max) and holy sh*t it gets loud. I barely have it above 1 and it's still freakin loud.

So if you're going solid state, you'll need a good amount of wattage, but if you use a tube amp and have a boost in front of it, 15 watts is all you need.

And just to throw it out there, I play alternative rock and pop-punk and the occasional metal and this setup works perfectly for it.
Last edited by phayzze at Sep 7, 2011,