Has anybody any experince from bass guitars by Cort, or somebody who knows something about them? I've looked at a Cort bass (24 frets) which I could potentially purchase. Any tips or pointers?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Ive played one but its been a few years. From what I remember it played nice. Kind of looked like an Ibanez style I believe. Can you try it before you buy?
They're okay. Nothing more.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by glennick
Ive played one but its been a few years. From what I remember it played nice. Kind of looked like an Ibanez style I believe. Can you try it before you buy?

Yes I can and I intend to do that. I've ordered one to be brought to my local music store.

Quote by Banjocal
They're okay. Nothing more.

I'm not looking for the perfect bass, I just want something better than my Squier precision bass. I wanted to ask if I'm about to buy from a bad brand.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Last edited by Low Man's Lyric at Sep 7, 2011,
I'm not looking for the perfect bass, I just want something better than my Squier precision bass. I wanted to ask if I'm about to buy from a bad brand.

To my understanding (and I may be wrong on this one) the Cort instruments come from the same asian factories as most of the Squier ones.

Also;

Quote by Spaz91
They make two signature for Gene Simmons. That's enough to put me off for life.

This.
Quote by Ziphoblat
To my understanding (and I may be wrong on this one) the Cort instruments come from the same asian factories as most of the Squier ones.

Still, if that would be the case, Cort isn't seen as a lower quality brand in general is it? I haven't had any experince with Cort and I don't hear much about them.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
I've been interested in trying some of the Artisan series of basses, wenge necks and swamp ash bodies. Right up my street!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I've been interested in trying some of the Artisan series of basses, wenge necks and swamp ash bodies. Right up my street!

I've looked at those, they look really good, but it's a Cort T74 I've been looking at primarily.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
I played one of the higher-end ones (Artisan, I believe). It was very good; particularly for the price. It was almost identical to the higher-end Laguna/Ocean basses. The on-board EQ and preamp aren't the best, but they work just fine and you could always trade them out for an Aguilar or something along those lines.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Cort basses are very good especially for their price. Ziphlobat, as far as I'm aware, Squiers have never been made in the Cor-Tek Factory where Cort produces all of it's guitars.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The Mystic Ice Crazer finish is SWEET.

They play nice, but sound okay. Better than squier, unless it's a vm model.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat

This is the one I've been looking at.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Last edited by Low Man's Lyric at Sep 11, 2011,
Quote by skater dan0
Cort basses are very good especially for their price. Ziphlobat, as far as I'm aware, Squiers have never been made in the Cor-Tek Factory where Cort produces all of it's guitars.

Korean "C" serial Squiers were made in the Cor-Tek factory, in the mid-nineties iirc.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Korean "C" serial Squiers were made in the Cor-Tek factory, in the mid-nineties iirc.

Oh well, learn something new every day.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Yup . Samick also did Korean Squiers. They've been made in heaps and heaps of different places. Even India for some strange reason.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Cort is a lot like Samick, in that respect. They have mostly solid instruments from what I've seen, but often also have a bad rep from people playing their low end squier equivalents. Same way peavey got a bad reputation for a while because of the raptor, or whatever it was.
Nope, no sig here.
I have a Cort T-35 that I bought earlier this year. It's the cheaper version of the T-75. I love it, it's a cracking Bass, especially for the £230 I paid for it new.

I also have an old Cort headless Flying V, that is an incredibly versatile Guitar (not Bass).

I do like Cort and my next Bass will be a Cort Curbow 4 string.
Last edited by KingBollock at Sep 11, 2011,
Quote by KingBollock
I have a Cort T-35 that I bought earlier this year. It's the cheaper version of the T-75. I love it, it's a cracking Bass, especially for the £230 I paid for it new.

I also have an old Cort headless Flying V, that is an incredibly versatile Guitar (not Bass).

I do like Cort and my next Bass will be a Cort Curbow 4 string.

That sounds very promising, don't think I'll regret it, I'll see that after I've tried it at the store though.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Quote by consecutive e
Yup . Samick also did Korean Squiers. They've been made in heaps and heaps of different places. Even India for some strange reason.

Doesn't that mean they weren't Korean?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

He means Squiers in general have been made all over the place. Squiers have been made in a couple places in Korea in the late 80's - 1997 or so. Some instruments from the Squier II line were made in India around '89 - '90.

Other then Korea and India, Squiers have been made in Japan, Mexico, the US, China, and Indonesia.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I have a Cort. It is well made and plays beautifully. I believe they make guitars for a lot of other brands. When i researched them they were the biggest manufacturer of guitars in the world but their stuff is badged with other brands mainly. Some of the articles I read suggested they were a less than ethical company http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cort_Guitars

I have to say this leaves me a little uncomfortable in recommending them though there is little wrong with their instruments.
I've got an Artisan B5. It's great for me, I got it used for USD 300. Only problem I've had is the jack getting messed up, but that's no biggie.
Sigs are for pansies.
Quote by GaryBillington

Samick are Korean based. They have a factory there.

Squiers were also made in Taiwan to add another to the list.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Phil Starr
I have a Cort. It is well made and plays beautifully. I believe they make guitars for a lot of other brands. When i researched them they were the biggest manufacturer of guitars in the world but their stuff is badged with other brands mainly. Some of the articles I read suggested they were a less than ethical company http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cort_Guitars

I have to say this leaves me a little uncomfortable in recommending them though there is little wrong with their instruments.

Yeah, I read the "Controversy" part on the Wikipedia page, didn't know about this. That bass better be good after I've read that.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
I have an Artisan B4. The neck and action are great (I don't have long fingers). With the active Bartolini pickups I can get the sounds I want. I'm very happy with it.

On the downside, after I had it for a while it started cutting out. Taking off the back cover I saw that, rather than being properly soldered, some of the wire ends were twisted together and wrapped in what appeared to be masking tape (yeah - I was all Whishkey Tango Foxtrot???).

After properly soldering all connections I never had another problem.

I haven't been able to invest in high-end basses yet, but I'd say this was good bang-for-the-buck. No regrets from me.
As far as I am aware, almost all korean made instruments come from the Cort factory (Squier, G&L Ibanez etc). That factory makes somewhere in the region of 40% of all the bass guitars on the market.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Spaz91
They make two signature for Gene Simmons. That's enough to put me off for life.

+1
Quote by Kill A Kitten