Poll: Read OP.
Poll Options
View poll results: Read OP.
It's a sexist social convention/part of etiquette/etc.
89 45%
It's not sexist
71 36%
Ain't sure
23 12%
Other
14 7%
Voters: 197.
Page 1 of 8
I know UG has been heavily concerned with sexism due to past threads by people like me, CoreysMonster, vintage x metal, etc. But I'll just start off by saying I support feminism and this thread is just about a mere social convention.

I ride the Bus to school now since parking is not only expensive, but in a college town it's damn hard to find a spot, and odds are you'd park almost as far from the campus as where you live.

So on the bus, it gets pretty crowded, and people stand. Sometimes a guy will offer his seat to a girl, and 9/10 times she accepts.

Every day I'm sitting there I have the same debate with myself. "Should I offer her my seat? Would it be weird if I did? Plenty of other guys are sitting too, so I don't think I look like an asshole. She seems fine anyway."

And sure enough, my mind wanders to "Well, why should I give her the seat? Just because she has a vagina doesn't mean she needs to sit more than I do."

And I don't think it's the same as holding the door open for women. I hold the door open for everyone. Yet if a guy offers his seat to another guy, that'd be just f*cking strange and uncomfortable, and I've never seen that happen.

Tl;DR? Is it a sexist social convention that it's polite for men to offer their seat to women? Assume all the ages are 18-24.
There's already a feminism thread, and i don't care enough to link it to you.

More on topic though, i wouldn't offer my seat to a woman just because she's a woman. I only offer my seat to people who actually need it - elderly man or woman, people with physical disabilities, lots of luggage etc.
I don't care whether it's a woman.

The only people who offer their seats to women just because they're a woman, are those who wanna suck some womandick or genuinely traditional people.
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 6, 2011,
yes. it happens a lot. it rides under the assumption that girls are delicate flowers that need to be prioritised when it comes to comfort and caring. it's stupid. if somebody looks tired, i will ask them if they want my seat. if somebody is behind me, i will leave the door open. gender has nothing to do with it and i'm not going to give my seat to a girl just because it's social convention.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
rule of thumb: If you do something for a person that you wouldn't do for them if they were of the other gender, it's sexist.

In fact, that's kinda the definition of sexism.
it's not sexist. it's being a gentleman.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I hold the door open for everyone, and if someone wants a seat (excluding pregnant women, elderly people, disabled people etcetera, whom I would offer the seat) badly enough they will ask for it, and I will give them the seat.

It is not sexist imo. You're reading into a bit too deep. If the girl expected the guy to offer the seat, or the guy felt obligated, it would be sexism, and if they expected me to move because they were female, they can "go off". Otherwise, it is just courtesy.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by Grimriffer
it's not sexist. it's being a gentleman.

Bullshit.

I only give up the seat if I know the person, which happens quite a bit when you bus with a group of friends.
Quote by CoreysMonster
rule of thumb: If you do something for a person that you wouldn't do for them if they were of the other gender, it's sexist.

Pretty much.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Quote by CoreysMonster

+1
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I'd only relinquish my seat to someone who looks like they'd have a hard time standing. Guys have offered me seats before and I decline.
I don't even sit on buses anymore because I know other people want that seat more than I do.
cat
Isn't feminism all about equal rights?

So, just sit down unless it is a person (regardless of gender) who needs the seat more than you do like pregnant women, elderly people, disabled people, ....
Just because I have some strong opinions doesn't mean I agree with everything I say.
Quote by CoreysMonster

That's stupid.

I ****ed her. I wouldn't have if she were male.

C'mon dude, try harder.
Quote by captaincrunk
That's stupid.

C'mon dude, try harder.

Aahahhahahh really...

just... REALLLLLLLLYYYYY?
Quote by captaincrunk
That's stupid.

C'mon dude, try harder.

nah, come on, you're being stupid on purpose. i think a better comparison would be if someone saw a black person on the street and offered him some coin. is that racist? you're just trying to be nice, right?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by captaincrunk
That's stupid.

C'mon dude, try harder.

so what you're basically saying is that heterosexuality is sexist?

hm. never looked at it that way.
Quote by captaincrunk
That's stupid.

C'mon dude, try harder.

That's a whole different subject.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by Avedas
Bullshit.

I only give up the seat if I know the person, which happens quite a bit when you bus with a group of friends.

it's kind of sad to see how chivalry is dead nowadays. Another reason why the Pit won't get laid for another 7 years.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
only people i offer my seat to is the elderly and handicapped.

i wouldn't offer my seat to a guy so I wouldn't offer it to a girl. (unless she met the above criteria)
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Jostry
That's a whole different subject.

which is the flaw he's pointing out.
I will offer my seat to girls, because I feel like it is a nice thing to do. I don't care if people think it's sexist, and I don't care if she thinks the offer is sexist. It's a completely harmless offer, and there's really no logical reason to be offended by it.

I would also offer my seat to a dude, but I find that it makes them terribly uncomfortable. And I'll do anything and everything for elderly people.
I don't think it's because you're sexist. Women just have weaker leg strength and endurance
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I don't get people's obsession with being not-so-sexist all the time. If someone looks like they need a seat more than you do, get up and give it to them. If you just want to give it up because you feel the need to be a gentleman, do it. Even if you just want to use it as a conversation starter to get laid, ****ing do it.

No one's going to call you out as a "sexist" person if you give up your seat to a woman and not a man, and if they do...they're oversensitive feminist assholes.

God do I find feminists annoying.
Quote by Kensai
I don't think it's because you're sexist. Women just have weaker leg strength and endurance

this.

If she feels it's sexist or likes standing she can just reject. I don't give a ****.
Quote by Kensai

that's a bit of a rationalization. there are guys that have weaker leg strength and endurance than some women, if they were both next to you, would you really pick the guy over the girl when you can't really tell? or do you stop to examine their legs first?
Quote by Kensai

of course, look at that weak specimen of a human.
Quote by laid-to-waste
that's a bit of a rationalization. there are guys that have weaker leg strength and endurance than some women, if they were both next to you, would you really pick the guy over the girl when you can't really tell? or do you stop to examine their legs first?

I would examine the woman's legs. But that's not a chivalry thing.
I only offer my seat if someone needs it more than I do - male or female, young or old.

However, this swings both ways. If I'm absolutely shattered/with a lot of stuff, I'm not likely to give it up - especially if I have a long way to go. It's sad that it is such a minefield, and what sucks even more is when people judge you based on doing it or not.

Case in point: was on the bus the other day. Hadn't slept in 24 hours, or eaten in 48. I had my bag with my laptop/other junk, so it was heavy. A (fairly fit/energetic looking) old guy got on. I didn't offer my seat, as I was feeling a little ill anyway. People began to mutter, and it pissed me off so much, that I got off when I saw a bus behind. Swear a few people glared at me.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I wouldn't say sexist.

I reckon it's chivalrous though.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Kensai

I don't think that's accurate.
I'd give up my seat for a girl, and then secretly consider myself superior.
LOOK AT YOUR PUNY WOMAN LEGS. I CAN STAND UP FOR THE ENTIRE BUS RIDE, BECAUSE I AM A MAN.

Damn right I'm sexist.
Quote by laid-to-waste

No, I assume they're all weak

Quote by CoreysMonster

of course, look at that weak specimen of a human.

Oh yeah, all women do overhead squats daily.

Here's a man doing it:

Quote by MakinLattes
I don't think that's accurate.

Surely you have to agree men have stronger legs than women.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

if you saw a skinny, unhealthy guy and a healthy, happy woman, are you telling me you'd give it up for the dude?
Quote by Kensai

Oh yeah, all women do overhead squats daily.

Here's a man doing it:

Surely you have to agree men have stronger legs than women.

that pic was meant to be an exagerration, but though I agree that men usually have stronger legs than women, it's only because we're heavier. The average man and the average woman are both perfectly capable of carrying their own weight.