Hey everyone, I'm a guitarist, but I'm in the market for a good bass for whatever comes up. I found an Ibanez Soundgear at a local pawnshop, it says "Japan" beneath the headstock, so I'm assuming that's where it's made. It's purple with a painted bolt-on neck and kinda beat to hell, but only with superficial damage. They are asking $170, but I could probably get them down to $120 or maybe even $100.

I'm ignorant when it comes to basses, so I don't know if Japanese necessarily means better, but it's not much different than with guitars. It seems to play ok with no fret buzz. It kind of looks like the Soundgear line is the cheaper line. How do these generally compare to say a good Squier or a Samick?
soundgears are ibanez's mainstay line. there are lower end soundear as well as top of the line soundgear models. do you have a model number to go on?
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
I couldn't find anything on the guitar but the brand, line, and serial number. I'm going to keep searching the internet, if I find one with a painted neck, p-bass pickups(iirc), and made in Japan, that might be it.
there should be SRxxx for a model number somewhere on the headstock. if its a pj pickup configuration then it sounds like it could be an SR800. nice basses and if its beat up then $100ish sounds about right. i had a chance to buy one in good shape with an amp for $175
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by summerson1
there should be SRxxx for a model number somewhere on the headstock. if its a pj pickup configuration then it sounds like it could be an SR800. nice basses and if its beat up then $100ish sounds about right. i had a chance to buy one in good shape with an amp for $175

Yeah the closest thing I found on a google search was the SR800. It is the PJ configuration, but I can't remember if it had actives or passives. They also have a different model, mij as well, mint condition with JJ config pickups, but they are asking $100 more. They both felt really nice, so I'm inclined to save money and get the cheaper one, despite the chips and scratches.

Thanks for the help!

Did it look like this?

Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
No more like this

Well, exactly like that.

Because that's it, I bought it.

thats the 800
Quote by Bass First