Hey guys, I live in Vancouver and I am planning to start building a guitar. I've searched high and low and I still cant find a place in British Columbia that sells Alder,Rosewood, and Maple/walnut wood at the size of a Guitar. Seen a few on craigslist but they're like 3/4" in Height.... if I'm not mistaken i need at least 1". Oh there's one store I know of but I'm not sure if the prices are overpriced.
http://www.bowriverwoods.com They don't seem to sell seperate wood.. only in packages. So if anyone knows of any places that sell lumber I'd GREATLY appreciate it. THANKS!
hey man i live in delta! this place was the best i could find, there in sydney on the island so theyll have to ship but prices are muuuch better, say 40 for a body blank rather than 100+ from bowriver

westwindhardwood.com
[thread="1427660"]Clarence the Mockingbird[/thread]
Holy snap! SO much cheaper, roughly how much did shipping cost you? Also Thank you SOOOO MUCH! And by any chance are there places that would cut your wood for you if you have the schematic ( this is just being curious, and seeing if its cheap if it was like 10 or something i'd rather have someone do it than me doing it ahha )... Also one last question... are their any recommended guitar making books? =P
Last edited by lnphinity at Sep 6, 2011,
well il tell you, they offer the quickest most expensive shipping first, and i had to inquire before the guy told me that. so for one body blank it was about 40, and 65 after shipping and tax. a bit steep there but still better than the other guy

i havent heard of somewhere that does that, but i had woodwork class at school for tools so im not sure

and melvyn hiscocks book is great
hey Iadna... not sure if i did this quote right... a guitar body is roughly for mine anywasy 20"15"x2" that comes out to 4.2 roughly BDFT. and it says the price per BDFT is 2.50. that = 10 dollars. this is Alder wood. So it comes out to 11 dollars roughly. not including shipping... am i by any chance not doing the math correctly...?
Aslong as you got the dimensions matched up right than that makes sense, I was giving you mahogany prices, which is what I bought. I guess you lucked out with alder lol
Quote by timbit2006
Where in B.C do you live?

I live in Vancouver as said on the first post.and Yeah probaly, I lucked out even more cause my dad works for a shipping company localy and i MAY be able to get free shipping =). Also is musicianfriends.com good for shopping for guitar parts? like the bridge and truss rods and stuff?

AND THEY"RE OUT OF ROSEWOOD?! =[ MY FRETBOARD NUUUU!
Last edited by lnphinity at Sep 8, 2011,
I wouldn't reccomend having lumber shipped to you. You need to be able to see it first.
You could be lumber with major defects. Natural and man-made.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
I wouldn't reccomend having lumber shipped to you. You need to be able to see it first.
You could be lumber with major defects. Natural and man-made.

Yeah I'm totally aware of that... problem is there is no place in B.C that has a lumber mill/yard that I know of... I've looked high and low. and ladna seems to bought a mahogany body there and on one of his posts he's made a guitar and the wood looks SUPERB. IF you know of any locals in BC I wont mind driving up there.
Check out Reimer Hardwoods.
They have a good selection of lumber. I'll ask my instructors at the college about other good places to buy lumber.
..I was watching my death.
i do agree with timbit, and itd be a good idea to exhaust all possibilities first, but after literally a month spent searching i was ready to take anything and i guess in a way i got lucky

and maybe this reimer place has got rosewood for you, worth looking into
Quote by timbit2006
Check out Reimer Hardwoods.
They have a good selection of lumber. I'll ask my instructors at the college about other good places to buy lumber.

Totally appreciate your help Thanks!, abotsford is really far from Vancouver... it's like an hour drive to get there haha. Would the wood really matter THAT much? I'm building a Ibanez Jem and a Jazz Bass. The Jem will be painted over white, and the Jazz bass maybe sunburst. Would it really make that much of a difference? Also the one at Victoria i'd be able to get free shipping. But i'm still up for suggestions... AGAIN THANKS

I tried a different type of search http://windsorplywood.com/location-results.aspx?cde=V5R+3T7 there seems to be one at
1581 West 7th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V6J 1S1 Canada
i'll give that place a check
Last edited by lnphinity at Sep 8, 2011,