So, I'm almost ready to buy my first electric gear. I pretty much decided to get an Aria TA-50 semi-hollow as the guitar, but I'm not sure about my amp yet. People recommended me to get a modelling amp for the huge versatility it will give me.

I'm torn between the Fender Mustang and the Vox Valvetronix+ series. I will be playing blues to hard rock and I think both amps will fit for those genres. I've tried both and like both, but I'm interested in how these amps work in the long run. Because I have only been able to judge the pre-sets, I'm really not sure what these amps are actually capable of when you really start to tune them.

Do you still enjoy them after several weeks/months of use?
Have you compared both of them, and what did you think of them?
Did they break or did anything else happen which made you get rid of or sell them?
And does anyone play any of these amps with a semi-hollow guitar?

Basically, I'm looking to get some answers from people who own either of these amps and can help me make my final decision.

Thanks for reading and helping out.
Last edited by Minimum92 at Sep 6, 2011,
In the long run you'll probably want something else. In the short run they'll be fine. I'd get a separate multifx and tube amp.
I've played both pretty extensively (my friend had a VT for years and now has a Mustang), and while this is all just my opinion, I believe that the Mustang is better overall. It has much better high gain tones and more authentic sounding Fender cleans. Not to mention all the Fender Fuse software and a better speaker IIRC.

Also, the Vox VT series' tube is just a gimmick. It pretty much does nothing if you look at the schematic of the amp. That doesn't mean it's a bad amp (it's actually really good) but it does mean that you'll have to replace a useless tube every once in a while.

They're both great amps and you can't go wrong with either, but I definitely prefer the Mustang over the VT. My friend has had his Mustang IV since it came out and he still loves it.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by Ayses
Also, the Vox VT series' tube is just a gimmick. It pretty much does nothing if you look at the schematic of the amp.
Oh really? Are you saying it's not in the audio path? It's supposed to emulate an overdriven power amp and saturated xformer. Not saying how great a job it does, but I'm wondering how you would know from looking at the schematic.
Quote by fly135
Oh really? Are you saying it's not in the audio path? It's supposed to emulate an overdriven power amp and saturated xformer. Not saying how great a job it does, but I'm wondering how you would know from looking at the schematic.
Of course I'm not saying it isn't in the audio path. That would be ridiculous.

However, it's a 12ax7 tube (a preamp tube) and it's not in the preamp. The preamp for the VT series (including the distortion/overdrive tones) is completely digital. What that means is that no matter how many tubes you put in the signal path or the power amp, it's still originating from a digital preamp.

That doesn't mean it sounds bad, but the tube isn't doing much. It may smooth the sound out a TINY (unnoticeable) amount, but it's just ONE preamp tube that isn't in the preamp.

It's honestly there to sell the amp to uneducated buyers who are like "DUDE I HAVE A TUBE AMP NOW!" Still, like I said this doesn't make it a bad amp, just a gimmicky one.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
I haven't played the mustang but I've owned 2 vox vt's and I love 'em. I could do without the modeling and fx but it does a few different tones very well. I respectfully disagree about the tube in the vt's, I think it adds some punch and shape and has a more natural sounding (digital)tone than a regular ss. Though I haven't tried the vox valvelesstronix yet so I couldn't say for sure. Its much louder than a 30w ss as well. Its not gonna sound like an ac30(I know, I tried for the hell of it, haha) but imo its the best beginner amp you can buy(for the $). I've moved on to el84s and 12ax7s but I still keep my vt30 around and it still gets used sometimes. The technology built into the mustang sounds pretty interesting too, since its your first amp you probly couldn't go wrong with either. Normally modeling=crap but the exception is as a first amp, it can help you figure out what you wanna sound like and then you can buy the real amp.
If it's in the audio path what does it matter whether it's in the preamp or not? Being in the preamp is irrelavent. The delineation between preamp and power amp isn't a meaningful measurement of anything. So we can just throw that part out.

So now the question is... does it have an effect on the tone? It's supposed to emulate a driven power amp. So if it does that then it's served it's purpose. Sort of like.... I have a tube amp and I want an overdriven power amp so I need an attentuator. So the Vox tube emulation is really only supposed to emulate a tube amp with an attentuator. So again the preamp is irrelavent. It's really hard to say whether it actually accomplishes it's purpose of not. People like the tone of the Vox so maybe it does.

Is it a gimmick. I'd say yeah, because other multifx makers are able to create tube amp tones without a tube. So sticking a tube in a digital multifx either means that Vox is trying convince people that they are getting "real" tube tone. Or that Vox isn't capable of emulating a tube tone without using a preamp tube.
Quote by fly135
In the long run you'll probably want something else. In the short run they'll be fine. I'd get a separate multifx and tube amp.

This
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by fly135
This I can agree with. Aside from my Microcube (which i love for travel/playing on the porch outside, on my computer desk when reading tabs, etc), I wish I hadn't bought a modeler. My Vypyr's tone just doesn't cut it for me anymore. As soon as I buy my new computer and sell my Vypyr, it's gonna be a tube NAD for me.

I'd REALLY suggest buying a good quality tube amp and just using a multi-fx if you want a wide variety of tones. You'll thank me in a year or so when you're not saying "wow this amp feels cold and lifeless, I sure wish I had a tube amp."

Quote by fly135
If it's in the audio path what does it matter whether it's in the preamp or not? Being in the preamp is irrelavent. The delineation between preamp and power amp isn't a meaningful measurement of anything. So we can just throw that part out.

So now the question is... does it have an effect on the tone? It's supposed to emulate a driven power amp.

What I'm getting at is that it's just ONE 12ax7. In an amp whose entire signal path originates from a digital preamp. No matter where you stick that 12ax7, it's not going to affect the tone substantially. Think about it this way. No matter which VT in the series it is (wattage-wish), it still uses one 12ax7. Even the higher wattage ones. Do you honestly think that you're getting ANY power tube saturation from one 12ax7 in a VT 120? No, you're not. You can't. The best it'll do is give you a tiny bit more pick attack and maybe make the amp respond to your touch a little bit more.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Last edited by Ayses at Sep 7, 2011,
The Mustang shines once you use it's online software, FUSE. If you are not into that kind of thing, go for the VT.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Thanks.

The Mustang does appeal to me for the low price, FUSE sodtware, and great sound.
Does anyone have the fizz issue people are speaking about on either of the amps?