Hey all-
I'm looking for a light/medium-light overdrive pedal. Something fairly responsive to picking dynamics. I play in an indie band, and have a DS-1 (say what you want, I like it) and a Big Muff Pi. I'm looking for something to give me some nice crunch for rhythm chording and arpeggios, because neither of the other boxes have enough clarity for open chords. I'm also a fan of stacking distortions, so that could be a factor.

Also, who knows about effects/techniques that will make crazy and odd guitar sounds? The weirder the better.

gear:
american/korean fender hybrid telecaster with active pickups
1970 guild S-100
squier fat strat with ibanez/duncan pickups

roland micro cube
carvin xv-212
1964 fender bandmaster

morley bad horsie 2 contour wah
boss ds-1
electro-harmonix big muff pi
electro-harmonix lpb-1 linear power booster
boss ceb-3 bass chorus
digitech cf-7 chorus factory
1978 electro-harmonix small stone phase shifter (not a reissue)
line 6 dl4 delay modeler
ernie ball volume pedal
play a combination of whole tone and triad scales/arpeggios, that sounds alien. Put some phaser and delay on there and it usually sounds pretty good
I agree with wmd geiger counter for weirdness

check electro harmonix site videos for ideas

himmelstrutz fetto nord for clear overdrive
wampler ecstasy also
So the TS-9 is a pretty standard one. The other guitarist in my band just got one, so I'll demo that. The OCD seems pretty good, too, although they both seem a bit sterile to me... Will keep looking.

I'm definitely looking into the Geiger Counter, it seems to be an incredible pedal. And not to sound stupid... but what the hell is a ring modulator? I've heard of them about a million times, sure I've heard them too, just didn't realize.
What about and octave fuzz? I LOVE IT SO MUCH! Nice for both, phrasing and soloing (especially above the 12 fret).
Quote by Guild King
but what the hell is a ring modulator? I've heard of them about a million times, sure I've heard them too, just didn't realize.
Example of Ring Mod can be heard starting @ 2:13 in my profile clip....

Black Cat Boogie

and starting @ 2:36 in....

Black Cat Revisited

Not all ring mods sound the same. A Ring Mod multiples your input signal with a modulation signal to get a sum and difference. Mainly it sounds warblely, but if you sweep the mod freq with an expression pedal like in those clips you'll get the chirps and whammyish sweeps.
fryette sas can make some funky sounds

not really that weird, but will mention dr scientist tremolessence anyways.
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Last edited by Hunter44 at Sep 13, 2011,
For an OD with good articulation I'd strongly suggest the Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2. I have one and it's amazing (imo) with some light preamp distortion. Hell, I even run it into my Hot Rod Deluxe on the clean channel and it holds its own (I hate the "drive" and "more drive" channels).

For crazy sounds I'd go with an analogue delay, like the MXR Carbon Copy. I don't know; maybe your Line 6 can replicate this but with my Carbon Copy you can make it do some crazy oscillation stuff by playing with the regen and delay knobs. Plus, as you speed up or slow down your delay time it also raises or lowers the pitch, which sounds really cool IMO.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
For an OD with good articulation I'd strongly suggest the Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2. I have one and it's amazing (imo) with some light preamp distortion. Hell, I even run it into my Hot Rod Deluxe on the clean channel and it holds its own (I hate the "drive" and "more drive" channels).

For crazy sounds I'd go with an analogue delay, like the MXR Carbon Copy. I don't know; maybe your Line 6 can replicate this but with my Carbon Copy you can make it do some crazy oscillation stuff by playing with the regen and delay knobs. Plus, as you speed up or slow down your delay time it also raises or lowers the pitch, which sounds really cool IMO.

+1 on the Carbon Copy, the oscillation is one of the things I use most with mine, it can really get musical and very atmospheric.
I'm looking at getting a couple of analogue delays, an Ibanez to run through my effects loop (it'll sit next to the reverb tank, probably velcroed down with the controls taped), to essentially be a set trailing lead delay that'll be part of my amp. Then a Carbon Copy for a modulated double-tracking style sound, and the oscillation you're talking about. The Line 6 does some great things with the reverse/sweep echo/auto-volume swell/lo-res/etc, but it can't get the short delay times of an analogue delay, and no matter how good the modeling, it's digital, and sounds it.

The Fulldrive 2 looks promising...
If you're talking about something that can give clarity, clean up nicely and meaningfully react to your guitar, particularly for playing chordal stuff, then you might really be talking about a clean boost. If not a clean boost, at least a nice sensitive overdrive that the gain can be lowered to practically make it a clean boost - like the Xotic BB Preamp.

As a side, that Mosfet is not a bad pedal. I know someone who has it on his board and I haven't had a reason to complain when I've played through it into his Marshall.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Sep 24, 2011,
I have a boost- the Electro Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster. I find it works fantastically as a clean boost (for clean solos/when I need arpeggios and such to stand out). If I turn it up a bit more, it overdrives my amp, which sounds good... but not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for articulate medium gain overdrive, that reacts to my picking dynamics. Something bright, with no midrange boost, that I can stack with my other distortions.
I think that the BB preamp fits your description except for the part about brightness, as it isn't *inherently* bright, although you could boost the treble on it. But I suppose most people tend to use the BB preamp in a way that fattens the tone if anything (I tend to run it with the bass knob lightly boosted). If transparency and the ability to clean up well is one's main concern, the BB seems like a good choice. It also has nice sustain. But I'm not sure if it'd be too mid-rangey for you.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Sep 25, 2011,
The BB seems to be a little too bluesy for me. I'm looking for something with some good chime.