I want to plug my guitar directly into my PC using a 1/4 female to 1/8 male jack converter. Right now it's giving me a horrendous buzzing noise that I can't alleviate. Is there something I can do to solve this or do I have to cough up for an actual interface? I'm fine with it just sounding okay for now.
try getting a cord that goes 1/4 inch to USB, that should work better. What jack did you plug the guitar into?

EDIT: Username fail?
It's just a bad cable / guitar output, try screwing it and try again...

Maybe cleaning the pots or smth like that...

The biggest problem i have with connecting it, is the delay or 1/2 second...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
nah i once done this, got the converter and ran it strait into audacity! The clean sounds didnt sound to bad but i never got a decent distorted tone.

Also make sure u plug into the mic slot not the headphone...
You should get an interface. The impedance specs for the PC input aren't good for connecting a guitar straight in. Get a cheap mixer. Even the $30 Art tube preamp will works. Or a cheap USB audio interface like the Behringer Guitar Link.
I've used the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to plug into my computer before. For tuning.
Never had a problem.
Make sure all connections are clean.
I used to do this and its basically the worst way to connect to your computer, although the cheapest. The reason for this is that your guitar (and cable) are at line level, and since your going straight into a computer, you lose so much quality that honestly you should buy an interface or as JD close suggested there's plenty of company's coming out with guitar to usb type cords that work pretty well, usually retail around $40, but you can get a very small interface from companys like m-audio for like only $100, which is extremely cheap.
Yeah, I'm using Amplitube right now and it sounds like I've basically got a really bassy and fizzy fuzz pedal that's always on. Would investing in a decent interface fix that problem?
Quote by sar8777
I used to do this and its basically the worst way to connect to your computer, although the cheapest. The reason for this is that your guitar (and cable) are at line level....
Actually no. The guitar output is instrument level. Line level is hotter, but even more important line level is a lower impedance signal than instrument level. Instrument level should see a load of several hundred kohms. Line level loads are around 10Kohm. The PC is speced for line level loads, but it's possible that the input has a higher input impedance. 10K is just the minimum.

If you are going to plug in a guitar it would probably be best to use the mic input and turn on the 10db boost.