Okay fellas, you know the drill...

Budget
: $600-$700, preferably on the lower end of this spectrum.
New or Used: Going used would be great, but new works as well.
Gigging or No
: Gigging.
General Sound: It's hard to describe, but hard rock with a hint of progressiveness, as well as a bit of metal and psychedelic at times.
Other: A separate head and cabinet OR combo will do, as long as it does it's job. Because of the weird sound I/we have, it needs to be somewhat versatile but it also needs to have good tone. I don't use any effects, but then again I have never really had the chance to. I'd like to tinker with some one day, so if the amp can handle pedals well that would be good too. Will be using a 5 string bass.

I don't know a lot about bass equipment. I've played guitar for almost 4 years but have decided to pick up bass so I can play in the band. I really enjoy the instrument, I just don't know much about it, so that's why I need some suggestions!

Thanks all!
Man... this is the most refreshing "i need amp reccomendations" thread i've seen in a while

In the $600 range, you honestly have a bunch of VERY nice amps available to ya.

On the solidstate side of things, a GK 800rb, 700rb and GK 1001rb should be in your budget, used. If you do the effect thing, you may like the 1001rb's extra juice. Though, i've used as many as 20 pedals with an 800rb, and never really had an issue a boost pedal couldnt handle. I also preffer the 800rb's tone to the 1001rb and 700rb. I'm not really a fan of much else in the solidstate department, but other brands like Ampeg, Ashdown, Mesa, and Markbass should have stuff in your range.

Also, you can usually find an 80's model 800rb for low enough, you can use the extra to get a cab...

aaaand on the Cab side of things, look for big and cheap... that usually means Peavey. I would look for a 4x10, 1x15, 4x12 or 2x15 to push enough air. 2 of the smaller options are nice, but it'll be more expensive to get 2 2x10s than it would to get 1 4x10...

Good luck!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Man... this is the most refreshing "i need amp reccomendations" thread i've seen in a while

In the $600 range, you honestly have a bunch of VERY nice amps available to ya.

On the solidstate side of things, a GK 800rb, 700rb and GK 1001rb should be in your budget, used. If you do the effect thing, you may like the 1001rb's extra juice. Though, i've used as many as 20 pedals with an 800rb, and never really had an issue a boost pedal couldnt handle. I also preffer the 800rb's tone to the 1001rb and 700rb. I'm not really a fan of much else in the solidstate department, but other brands like Ampeg, Ashdown, Mesa, and Markbass should have stuff in your range.

Also, you can usually find an 80's model 800rb for low enough, you can use the extra to get a cab...

aaaand on the Cab side of things, look for big and cheap... that usually means Peavey. I would look for a 4x10, 1x15, 4x12 or 2x15 to push enough air. 2 of the smaller options are nice, but it'll be more expensive to get 2 2x10s than it would to get 1 4x10...

Good luck!

Sweet, thanks for the suggestions! I'll start looking around and see what I can come up with.

Any other suggestions?
Rock with hints of modern/progressive sound?

Sounds like kustom is exactly what your looking for to me. KBA200 combo is like $400 and 200w. That amp got me through all my gigs when I was in highschool with no problem.

You can find a used kustomgroove600 plus a 410 cab or 115 cab for $600 if your willing to drive I bet

I dont know about their new stuff, but GK in the past (and by past, I mean as of 2 or 3 years ago) was absolutely notorious for developing electrical problems after a couple years of moderate use
Last edited by chantastic at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by chantastic
Rock with hints of modern/progressive sound?

Sounds like kustom is exactly what your looking for to me. KBA200 combo is like $400 and 200w. That amp got me through all my gigs when I was in highschool with no problem.

You can find a used kustomgroove600 plus a 410 cab or 115 cab for $600 if your willing to drive I bet

I dont know about their new stuff, but GK in the past (and by past, I mean as of 2 or 3 years ago) was absolutely notorious for developing electrical problems after a couple years of moderate use

I'll be sure to add that to the list of things to look for lol. I know Kustom has some decent guitar gear that I didn't mind too much, but how is there bass gear? I don't know much about bass equipment so I'm not sure what's considered good gear lol.
Their bass amps do not have the signature tuck-and-roll padding

Go to their website and look up the deep end series. You can put a 300w stack together for for $500-600. Thats their mid level gear

Their high end stuff is the G series, and you can put together a 600w stack for about $1100

Do not bother with the KXB stuff
Quote by chantastic
Their bass amps do not have the signature tuck-and-roll padding

Go to their website and look up the deep end series. You can put a 300w stack together for for $500-600. Thats their mid level gear

Their high end stuff is the G series, and you can put together a 600w stack for about $1100

Do not bother with the KXB stuff

I have a Kustom200 amp from 1968. (Sparkley gray tuck and roll)

I dunno about now, but then their 'thing' was using the germanium circutry, which provided a sweeeeeeet overdriven tone.

I used that amp at practice last night with my Gretsch G2202 and some flatwounds through a 2x15.... it's an incredible amp.

If the new stuff can hold ANY kind of candle to the old stuff, it's a good reccomendation.

I also have a 1x12 Kustom50 guitar combo, whos clean reverb tone can go toe to toe with a Fender Super Reverb and/or a Vox AC30
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Sweet guys, I now know what to look for! It may be a few weeks before I can muster up the cash for the gear, but I'm definitely going to look at Kustom and Carvin, and I'm definitely going to keep my eye open on Craigslist for some GK, Ampeg and Markbass gear. There was a GK 1001rb for $400, but sadly I don't have enough cash for it right now