Hey guys, I just upgraded to a Fender American Deluxe Strat and am looking to upgrade my amp as well. I currently have a line 6 Spyder (really cheap model) but don't know exactly what amp to get to suit my playing style. Overall, I'm looking to play like John Frusciante/Red Hot Chili Peppers and get that type of sound. However, I like playing other styles as well, and my line 6 amp had an "insane" setting that had a really deep, crunching distortion sound that I liked. I tried out a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe at a local shop the other day and while the clean tones were fantastic, the distortion sounds were awful, even with various pedals attached. The guy there told me I might want to check out a different type of amp.

So I guess what I'm asking is, if I want to play like John Frusciante but still be able to play some heavier rock music and distortion, what would be the best amp? I've looked up Frusciante's rig and there are too many components involved so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I'd say my budget is around $500, but I'm willing to go a little higher if its worth it.

Thanks everyone, the advice here is always great
I'd say look at some orange amps and i've heard good stuff about the Egnater tweaker. Plus you can get most in either a stack or combo!
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
blackstar wouldn't be a bad place to look at all. or, you could go pretty barebones and try a marhsall haze or class 5. they've got really nice tone and would probably do pretty well for a twangy-ish rhcp type tone. but the blackstar would be the most versatile in giving you nice cleans as well as balls to the wall distortion
if you're not playing anything to heavy i'd try a Peavey Valveking. has a decent clean channel and a good dirty channel for rock and hard rock. having seperate EQ for each channel is a nice bonus. you may want a speaker change doen the road but the stock one isn't that bad.
I think John Frusciante played a Marshall Silver Jubilee and sometimes a JCM800. Correct me if i'm wrong. Id say if so, try to stay in the Marshall vein prehaps? Like a class 5 maybe? Obviously it wont sound exactly like those two but, more so than a Fender with a dirt pedal in front of it.
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Quote by monwobobbo
if you're not playing anything to heavy i'd try a Peavey Valveking. has a decent clean channel and a good dirty channel for rock and hard rock. having seperate EQ for each channel is a nice bonus. you may want a speaker change doen the road but the stock one isn't that bad.

Won't a valveking be overkill if he's just playing at home? I've never tried one but won't TS leave the volume at around .5/1 when he's at home.

I might be wrong so feel free to correct me
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Won't a valveking be overkill if he's just playing at home? I've never tried one but won't TS leave the volume at around .5/1 when he's at home.

i think if he chose to go that route a valve king would be fine. i usually have an amp around 1.5 or 2 when people are home. but i think i speak for everyone in here when i say that we all like to crank it a little bit when there is no one else around to hear it.

i haven't played the valve king but the class 5 has some real nice tones and sounds pretty good. the jet city will hit right in the middle being able to do a little bit of each genre. cleaning up for some rhcp but can be pushed to do some a7x as well. it will also accept pedals pretty well so if you really wanted to push the thing you could put a nice overdrive thru it and really get it screaming
Quote by JKHC

how loud anyone plays is up to them. i use one and have it at my house. sure when the wife and kid are here i keep the volume down but can crank it up some when they aren't. it doesn't sound bad a t low volumes. most of the other amps suggested will be almost as loud as it takes 10 x the wattage to make an amp twice as loud. bottom line is that if you want to crank a tube amp then it's going to be loud. besides you can use a VK to gig with if that becomes an option. just a suggestion that's all.
edit^ my previous post about the blackstar holds but it would probably be at the top if not a little over your price range
Quote by DefRebelOrange
I think John Frusciante played a Marshall Silver Jubilee and sometimes a JCM800. Correct me if i'm wrong. Id say if so, try to stay in the Marshall vein prehaps? Like a class 5 maybe? Obviously it wont sound exactly like those two but, more so than a Fender with a dirt pedal in front of it.

i think so in addition i remember seeing a Marshall Major or hearing about him using one.

best way to do it wouldn't be too far over budget would be to pick up a marshall 18W clone (way long discontinued, but very easy to build and cheap to have a tech build one for you). the overdrive he gets in a lot of the recordings of him with RHCP screamed power amp distortion. i may be wrong though, and dont remember what album i am thinking that tone was used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dmaj7
oh you must not have a budget.

Get a trainwreck.

If you read, he said $500 up above...

Don't get a Valveking. Save up some more money and get a Jet City JCA50.

Or you could get a Marshall Class 5 and a distortion pedal. Frusciante uses a DS-1 and has used a DS-2 at various points, but I'd recommend something like a Fulltone OCD or a Catalinbread DLS over the Boss units.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
my bad. Only saw the first paragraph for some reason.

Well if you aren't gigging, the C5 is good. Thats really the only good marshall you can get for under about 900.

You might wanna look at AC15s. I love them.