i bought a new guitar with an edge 3, today i was changing the strings and i used the whammy bar to stretch them.

basically every dive or pull up i hear a crack coming from the locking nut, any idea what could be going on? right now im afraid the headstock may blow up in my face.

thanks
I've been using an edge 3 for almost 3 years....
I have absolutely no idea what that could be, but it doesnt sound good....
the fact that it's from the nut confuses me even more..I'm interested to hear what this is.
Best of luck to ya
I'd have a guess and say it's the strings moving thru the nut... I'd check that the clamps are down tight enough and that there isn't a groove in the saddle/clamps somewhere....

That is just a guess though.... if you're having serious concerns go back to the shop and get them to have a look.

Good luck and I hope it gets sorted soon
[
my edge 3 is beautiful, so i dont think its a cheap thing...
with that said, maybe just YOURS is crappy...?
if its not visibly damaged and you can return it and get all of your munnies back, you might wanna keep that as an option...
I have a (fake) Stratocaster with a trem and I get this too. Of course, mine is cheap, heavily used, and I'm ready to toss it. I would get it looked at. If my fake Strat broke, I would be happy, so I haven't yet.
Loosen the bridge screws...if it's a vint....if not, I have no idea
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Email Ibanez warranty support and ask them. They should know, they've been making and selling these things since you were in diapers.
Quote by Skuzzmo
I'd have a guess and say it's the strings moving thru the nut... I'd check that the clamps are down tight enough and that there isn't a groove in the saddle/clamps somewhere....

That is just a guess though.... if you're having serious concerns go back to the shop and get them to have a look.

Good luck and I hope it gets sorted soon

But don't overtighten them. I learned from experience that you can shear the allen key and the screw head, even if you're not trying too hard. People say they need to be 'thumb tight' but in my experience it needs to more than that. Just don't go overboard.
It´s the srews that hold the entire top lock unit in place, tighten those and that should solve your problem.
The whole locking nut may not be tight enough causing it to move when you bend the strings.
thanks for the replies, i was afraid the headstock was going to break - im going to take it to the shop and have it checked.

the funny thing is that i just picked it up yesterday from the guitar tech, its a bit weird that he didnt notice anything -.-'
Quote by jpnyc
Email Ibanez warranty support and ask them. They should know, they've been making and selling these things since you were in diapers.

This was my first thought
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 7, 2011,
When i first bought my ibanez w/edge III trem, it had something similar to yours. I found out the screws in the back of the neck holding the nut in place were loose. A quick tightening with the allen key fixed it.