http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHIiEy4d-A

I do make one Mistake at 1:33. Its all improv but I only do one take videos. Anyone want to give me advice on how to improve my techinque or anything I need to work on?

My friend said I need to pick almost every note I play. I perfer my Legato style, it sounds more flowing. There are times picking everything in my opinion is better suited but I enjoy my legato techinque. Anyone want to say whether it would be better or want to say its ok if I keep my legato? If so why in your opinion. Thanks (:
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I listened to the first 30 seconds or so... Take a second to hear exactly what you're playing and work especially on your vibrato. Increased vibrato will enhance your overall playing a lot. Just slow down for a little bit. Even if a good guitar player messes up, it still sounds alright because overall their sound is good. Know what I mean?

Learn every technique in the book, and then combine them all.

Lovely RR pic btw
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by fretmaster13
I listened to the first 30 seconds or so... Take a second to hear exactly what you're playing and work especially on your vibrato. Increased vibrato will enhance your overall playing a lot. Just slow down for a little bit. Even if a good guitar player messes up, it still sounds alright because overall their sound is good. Know what I mean?

Learn every technique in the book, and then combine them all.

Lovely RR pic btw

Thanks! I'll try to work on my vibrato more. and it gets alot slower abit later in the video, I wasn't trying to play anything special, after I got done doing that shred whatever thing, I got more into a blues type thing. I know what you mean there bro!

And thanks, I love RR, amazing guitar player and diffently my inspiration!
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Yeah, just listen to different guitarists' vibratos and then try to emulate them and eventually your own vibrato will just happen naturally. That makes ANYTHING you play drastically sound better.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Quote by fretmaster13
Yeah, just listen to different guitarists' vibratos and then try to emulate them and eventually your own vibrato will just happen naturally. That makes ANYTHING you play drastically sound better.

I been trying, At first Randy Rhoads was who I tried to emulate down to everything, Then I started playing Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, Ratt, Warrant, Avenged Sevenfold and more. My vibrato could use abit more work to it.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
The main things you need to work on are vibrato, phrasing and note choice. The solo is a bit too random to be honest. I'd focus on learning some more licks to give your listeners something to latch onto. Also, slow down - your playing isn't accurate or defined enough when you play fast.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Quote by shredfan
The main things you need to work on are vibrato, phrasing and note choice. The solo is a bit too random to be honest. I'd focus on learning some more licks to give your listeners something to latch onto. Also, slow down - your playing isn't accurate or defined enough when you play fast.

+1
Something else that helped me with my soloing/improving was to think of the solo like a melody, and then throw in the extra "flashy" stuff to get to the next melodic phrase...I guess think of it like you have "target" notes you wanna hit to keep the melodic ideas going, but to get from one to the next, that's when you do those runs or whatever to get there. Don't do runs for the sake of doing something fast, do runs for the sake of getting to the next note in an interesting way
I clicked it off after not too long.

Not because there's anything wrong with your technique.

But because I didn't hear a single musical idea. It's ALL technique. Now, you asked about your technique, specifically, so I can only sort of shrug.

But I would beg of you to stop focusing on technique so much and, instead, to focus on music. If you're going to just riff away like this, do it over chords so you have something to relate your notes too.
Quote by shredfan

Thank you, Any suggestions you have I could look into for this? I do not and at the moment cannot take guitar lessons, What would be your advice for the best place to search for lessons?

Quote by Darkness in Zero
+1
Something else that helped me with my soloing/improving was to think of the solo like a melody, and then throw in the extra "flashy" stuff to get to the next melodic phrase...I guess think of it like you have "target" notes you wanna hit to keep the melodic ideas going, but to get from one to the next, that's when you do those runs or whatever to get there. Don't do runs for the sake of doing something fast, do runs for the sake of getting to the next note in an interesting way

Thank you for the advice! I appericate it, I wasn't trying to reach a melodic idea in the video, I was more focused on my techinque if anything, but I will keep this in mind for the future!

Quote by HotspurJr
I clicked it off after not too long.

Not because there's anything wrong with your technique.

But because I didn't hear a single musical idea. It's ALL technique. Now, you asked about your technique, specifically, so I can only sort of shrug.

But I would beg of you to stop focusing on technique so much and, instead, to focus on music. If you're going to just riff away like this, do it over chords so you have something to relate your notes too.

Im sorry for not being to musicial focused, at the moment Im really honing down on my techinque. I think it needs improvement and I thought UG could help, and the feedback I've got will diffently be helpiful and usiful!

I would of added chords but unforunately I can only take videos with my phone at the moment and I dont have any good video/audio editting progarms. Next time i'll use my Boss BR-532 to record a track and play over it, Helpifully that'll make it more intersetting! But thank you for the postive and helpiful feedback!
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by Xter
Thank you for the advice! I appericate it, I wasn't trying to reach a melodic idea in the video, I was more focused on my techinque if anything, but I will keep this in mind for the future!

Im sorry for not being to musicial focused, at the moment Im really honing down on my techinque. I think it needs improvement and I thought UG could help, and the feedback I've got will diffently be helpiful and usiful!

Oh dear, silly boy.

Everything should always be musical, if you're not playing music then what's the point?

Also: don't bump. This isn't a very busy forum, if people have something to say then they'll say it. Bumping is frowned upon all over these boards but in this forum particularly it's just pointless.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Oh dear, silly boy.

Everything should always be musical, if you're not playing music then what's the point?

Also: don't bump. This isn't a very busy forum, if people have something to say then they'll say it. Bumping is frowned upon all over these boards but in this forum particularly it's just pointless.

I just want to be techincal with my playing and work out the flaws in my techinque so when I seriously sit down and start writing, My ideas come out sounding better and more enjoyable to me and the listener. Nobody wants to listen to music played by someone who just started playing an hour ago.

And sorry for the bump, I won't do it again, I just wanted to get as much feedback and as much advice as possible.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
I just want to be techincal with my playing and work out the flaws in my techinque so when I seriously sit down and start writing, My ideas come out sounding better and more enjoyable to me and the listener. Nobody wants to listen to music played by someone who just started playing an hour ago.

I think most people would rather listen to music played by someone who's only been playing for five minutes than pure exercises played by the world's best technician.

You don't have to develop your technique with exercises alone, you can easily use musical ideas to improve yourself; if you can't come up with a good musical idea using a technique then what's the point in practicing it anyway?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think most people would rather listen to music played by someone who's only been playing for five minutes than pure exercises played by the world's best technician.

You don't have to develop your technique with exercises alone, you can easily use musical ideas to improve yourself; if you can't come up with a good musical idea using a technique then what's the point in practicing it anyway?

True, idk. sometime I find making my own excerises that are musically inclined hard. It takes abit for anything to musically come together well for me. But I would like to improve on my techinques, used or not.
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
why don't you develop these techniques into something musical?
i think if you placed your techniques into a better context, over backing tracks, or a friend, you'll find it easier. Timing and chord progressions are very important, feel is a big part of using technique also.
try adding a melody, with connecting passages when you do this again, that way you will develop musicality as well as technique, you can play anything over anything, but getting it to fit is the important bit.