Poll: Do you grow nails on your picking hand?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you grow nails on your picking hand?
Yes
5 7%
No
55 75%
Yes, but not too long.
13 18%
Voters: 73.
I don't have them too long, because it just feels weird and uncomfortable.
Finger picking is not any easier either, the corners of the nail keeps "cutting" through the string and is very annoying.

Do You Grow Nails On Your Picking Hand?

EDIT: btw I don't pick with nails , though I finger pick when I have to. I am asking whether you grow them whether you use them or not.

Last edited by MaddMann274 at Sep 7, 2011,
nope. although the style i choose to play doesn't require to use anything else but the pick or one other finger for tapping
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
No, I play different styles, including fingerpicking, and I DO NOT like to pick with nails.
I used to when I first started playing. Then I cut my nails without even knowing it, now im here. I guess its becuase i use the corner of my index finger, and dontpick flat against any fingers? And I always cut my fretting hand's nails. Hurts when one gets caught in a string, or I scratch the nail against the board..
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
I do. It was always a hassle up until now. You get used to it and you get better at taking care of them. I used to get so pissed off when id try to file them, **** up, and end up having them too short. Now they are pretty much perffect and i havent had a break in 4 months. then again, i havent slapped on my bass in 4 months either.. that always ends up breaking them lol. They dont bother me when i use a pick either.
Last edited by ciano16 at Sep 7, 2011,
I grew out my nails in 8th grade to start playing classical guitar, but one of them broke off, so I just cut them all off. They are pretty helpful for strict classical guitar. Use a nail strengthener to make them stay, if you're into that kind of playing.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
The problem is that the nails get in the way of my fretting hand, and it just feels awkward having long nails on only one hand. I keep them short
Only before I played guitar. But when I started playing, I had a reason to. I must cut my fretting hand's nails, and I can't stand asymmetry when it comes to this, so I have to cut my picking hand's nails, too. It's way too awkward otherwise.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Yes, but not too long.
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 7, 2011,
Just long enough so I don't cheese grate my fingers on the strings, and so I can comfortably fingerpick without deadening the sound.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
I mainly play with a pick but I experimented with growing them for classical-style finger picking. They got in the way, felt pretty awful to pick with and looked a bit silly, so I cut them off.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I have mine trimmed very short, and I have always finger picked this way. I fingerpick several songs the standard classic way (dont cry, classical gas, etc) and I do dust in the wind travis picking style (i guess). I play in a metal band though, and nails would get in the way since we have very percussive and groove infulences. Right hand is every important in my band.

I never have any part of my nail come in contact with the strings while fingerpicking, ever. I usually have a nice even tone this way and I think nails make men look like little girls or classical wanna be's. I get that some people do it to get better tone, but it just makes you look like a cocaine addict, and tone becomes better and better as you get better with your guitar, regardless of your nails.

So yeah...
I play classical so I have to have them cause my teacher makes me. But I like it, it is louder for fingerpicking. And TS you're supposed to shape them so they don't catch on the strings your nails should be shaped just like a rounded pick
It might be a psychological thing but I can't play for sh*t if I have my nails anything but cut nice and short. Even if it's the pinky of my picking hand that has absolutely nothing to do with getting in the way or anything - it throws me off :/

So yeah - I just cut them every couple days

I do have a friend that always plays spanish guitar stuff and her nails are VERY long most of the time! Then she wears fake nails if for some reason she has to cut them :/
Ibanez GRG170DX
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Personally, I don't like picking with nails. If you're playing on steel strings the strings'll eat your nails up as well, so I don't know if I'd recommend it for people who primarily play electric.
Quote by Freepower
Personally, I don't like picking with nails. If you're playing on steel strings the strings'll eat your nails up as well, so I don't know if I'd recommend it for people who primarily play electric.

I have a teacher who's a country play and plays a telecaster with steel strings. He has finger nails any woman would be proud of.

I personally have a bit of nail but long nails freak me out for some reason.
Im fairly sure FINGERpicking isnt picking with your nails... Like a lot of people i learned classical guitar first, and I know for a fact unless your fairly advanced and using very well practiced flamenco techniques you dont need nails - and even then you dont even need a lot of nail at all because its mostly "downstroke" with the back of your nail so as long as its longer than the end of your finger (even if only slightly) you're fine.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by jkielq91
I have a teacher who's a country play and plays a telecaster with steel strings. He has finger nails any woman would be proud of.

I personally have a bit of nail but long nails freak me out for some reason.

Yeah, some people's nails can handle it. Mine can just about, my classical teacher has adamantium nails and can no problem, Chet Atkins can't.
I would as i play a bit of classical and jazz, but i also do martial arts as a hobby and long nails are not allowed... which is perfectly understandable for in Judo lol.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote by Freepower
Yeah, some people's nails can handle it. Mine can just about, my classical teacher has adamantium nails and can no problem, Chet Atkins can't.

I actually have 2 teachers who are country players. One uses finger nails, the other uses flesh.

Some guitarist wear fake nails for it.
No, I find growing them means I just knock them on the strings while picking occasionally and it makes a horrible noise!
I use bare fingers, as when I'm fingerpicking I can get a better range on how hard I hit the strings.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂