I want to be able to use this microphone for many applications of vocals, whether it be for music or just to talk on skype or something. I've been suggested the AT2020 and I honestly love how it sounds.

So I got some questions I would really really like help on answering.
If I get a condenser mic like the AT2020, would it be good for the following applications:

-Can I use it with my headphones high without getting feedback or at least too much feedback
-Will it be good for vocal + acoustic applications
-Will it be good for live vocal + electric guitar into interface without it picking up the electric guitar too loudly
-Should I get a shock mount?

Basically I need a microphone for vocals/singing, but I want to make sure that if I get a condenser that I won't have to deal with feedback and noise.

I'm sick of using mic-in on my computer because it sounds awful and ALWAYS has feedback from the poorly made build in pre-amp that mic-in utilizes.

So can you guys help me out if an AT2020 or a condenser mic is the choice for me? I want to make sure I won't get detrimental feedback and make sure that it captures just my voice or also an acoustic if I'm using it (I imagine I could direction it to do that)
- Yes
- Yes
- Depends on where you amp is in relation to the mic and how loud. It will be about as good as any mic. Your best bet is to have the amp in a different room.
- You don't HAVE to, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.
Quote by sandyman323
- Yes
- Yes
- Depends on where you amp is in relation to the mic and how loud. It will be about as good as any mic. Your best bet is to have the amp in a different room.
- You don't HAVE to, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I would be using software amp modelling for the 3rd question, I mean would it pick up the ringing of my strings?
Again, it will be about as good as any mic. Definitely as good as any mic in that price range. You will be better off recording them separate, but try it however you want to do it and see if it's tolerable to you.
I'll record the separate, but I'll also be using it in live situations. I learned how to route my software using virtual audio cable and my DAW's output system so I can process and use tracks live. I basically use a DAW as a virtual mixer.
That would be a good idea!
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 7, 2011,
Generally it's not advisable to use condensers for live vocals (or for much else, other than overheads) pretty much because you can get a much higher level of gain before feedback with a dynamic, especially if you're using stage monitors. It would be great for everything else, but I'd advise you to just grab a 58 for live use.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?