i am at the point where i just need to do some recording. i have gone so long without.

i have $250 that i can drop atm.

i would like to have two mic inputs (micing two different cabs/speakers/amps at once)

i dont mind using one of those free DAW's but if persay a lite version of protools or cubase and fits the price that is all i need.

i plan on just one SM57.

i have a laptop that should be capable of handling all of it.

thanks again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
M-Audio Fast Track Pro? I like mine for what it is. You might want to look at a firewire one if your laptop can take it though, those don't have latency issues as much as USB does.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
M-Audio Fast Track Pro? I like mine for what it is. You might want to look at a firewire one if your laptop can take it though, those don't have latency issues as much as USB does.

no firewire on the laptop unfortunatly. what causes latency (basic terms, i no next to nothing about computers)?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I use a Steinberg CI2, works fine.

2 XLR/Jack/Speakon inputs with a HI-Z for guitar, phantom power, gain and master controls for both inputs.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Should be capable of handling it? Before committing to anything, you need to make sure it definitely IS capable of handling it, or you risk not having much success.

If the laptop is below the required processing power needed for whatever software & interfaces you're considering, you should also look into the possibility of getting a purpose built multitracker which you know can cope with what you'll be putting through it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Not to mention they're in the pain in the ass.

I have to unplug mine from the power and turn off wi-fi otherwise I get static and audio jumps. A good desktop is far better for recording.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I use an M-Audio Firewire Solo, but has only a single mic input, so I guess that wouldn't work for your case, but it's a good soundcard anyways, I connect my 5150 through THD Hotplate's line out into the line in of the soundcard, and with cab impulses I get killer tones. It's not 100 percent studio quality, but it's like %85 close, just a little bit colder, due to not being able to miking, and no tube mic preamp in the end.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Well done ,learn more
Last edited by megaduu at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am at the point where i just need to do some recording. i have gone so long without.

i have $250 that i can drop atm.

i would like to have two mic inputs (micing two different cabs/speakers/amps at once)

i dont mind using one of those free DAW's but if persay a lite version of protools or cubase and fits the price that is all i need.

i plan on just one SM57.

thanks again.

So what other mic are you using?
Quote by Raijouta

As long as it's USB 2 it will do 2 mic's at once without latency from my experience.
RIP Gooze

cats
apogee one it beats all the above mentioned interfaces but it has only one input and works only with mac
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by Raijouta

Fast track pro works fine for me as well. As for a DAW, look into Reaper
WTLTL 2011
Quote by GaryBillington
Should be capable of handling it? Before committing to anything, you need to make sure it definitely IS capable of handling it, or you risk not having much success.

If the laptop is below the required processing power needed for whatever software & interfaces you're considering, you should also look into the possibility of getting a purpose built multitracker which you know can cope with what you'll be putting through it.

well i know that i will be sure to make sure that the computer is capable, i just need to get a basic idea of what i need, and go from there. i know the computer wont do 16 tracks, or anything insane like that, but i don't think two tracks would be killing it, but like i said, i would definitely check to see if it will work before buying anything.

apogee one it beats all the above mentioned interfaces but it has only one input and works only with mac

yes but i dont have a mac, i guess i should edit that back up at the top of the thread.

So what other mic are you using?

i dont know, i will most likely be starting with one. maybe it woudl be a second sm57, maybe getting something different.

i am certainly open to suggestions.

all i am looking for out of this is basic two channel recording (to mic different speakers simutaneously or with another guitarist) that will allow me about 75% of 'professional' tone. at the moment however i dont want to spend too much $$$ and am not going to switch to mac, nor will i buy a new computer for it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
fast track pro looking pretty good at the moment.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
hackintosh is your answer maam hackintosh google it
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II