Hey all,

So, after thinking about it again, I've decided that I'm either going to trade for an S/S/S, or modify my current strat from H/S/H into S/S/S form, depending on which route I can get to work better for me. I've decided only having humbucker equipped guitars in my rig is becoming limiting!

The main question I have now, is what type of single coil pups would be right for me? I'm looking mainly to get nice, twangy rockabilly, and surf style tones, but still sound good with a little bit of grit too! How are the Fender Custom shop '54's?

Amp-wise, I have an ENGL. It's become my amp of choice for higher gain tones. Obviously, it's not so great for other genres I've been branching out into! . A buddy of mine has a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I can jam on w/him until I get get my hands on a more suitable, second amp for these needs.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Sep 7, 2011,
What is your budget? (per pickup or for the set it's all good)
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
i upgraded my *gulp* squier with tex mex's and i ****en love them. they were 160NZD which is like 40 bucks US. do it, touch my willy, then thank me later.
Budget wise, probably around $100-$125 USD or so for all 3 pups.

Dead Eye Dick, aren't Tex Mex's the Mexican strat versions of Texas specials?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Tex Mex's don't really get that Twang sound. They are good pickups, don't get me wrong, but I feel they really only sound their best with a fair amount of overdrive... like a SRV amount of OD (but they don't capture his sound at all). They are good sounding, just not Vintage Single Coil sounding.

I like the Fender Custom Shop '69s. They handle everything very well, I use them in my main strat, anything from Cranked-Marshall-Pushedbya-Cranked-Fuzz-Face Hendrix to SRV style gain, and it handles it just fine. The notes come out very clear and it never really gets muddy. And clean they sound absolutely amazing.

I have both the 69's and the TexMex's. I have tried the '54s and the Fat 50's. I didn't care for the Fat 50's, they sounded good, but I felt their bottom end was too muddy. The '54s sounded great, but I only played clean, but they had that classic Strat sparkle and twang.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Dead Eye Dick, aren't Tex Mex's the Mexican strat versions of Texas specials?

Nope, Tex-Mex's are just their own pickup. They were used in the Jimmy Vaughan Signature Strat. Texas Specials sound terrible to me, lol.
look at Lace Sensor Golds or the Gold Plus. both have the twang and the G+'s have a little more bite. they are noiseless as well.
I would also suggest looking at Lace Sensors (that is why I asked for the budget) however unlike monwobobbo I think they are best used when you mix and match the colours
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
I would also suggest looking at Lace Sensors (that is why I asked for the budget) however unlike monwobobbo I think they are best used when you mix and match the colours

well i have a blue in the bridge and silvers in the middle and the neck so i mix it up some myself. the reason i suggested the golds is he wants a really vintage sound. the golds are made for that reason. i'm all for the other colors as they give a wide variety of sounds but not necessarily a good vintage sound.
what pickups are in your strat?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Look no further than Texas Specials. I have them and they sound amazing. They're pretty high output as far as single coils are concerned, so you can get some grit if you want, but they clean up great and have really punchy and quacky midrange.

Unless you want noiseless...then get lace sensors.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst