At the moment I'm programming drum tracks with Guitar Pro 6 and recording that with my guitar stuff.

A number of people have said that the drums are fake-sounding. Oddly, I can't tell this myself - I don't focus on drums when I'm listening but so many people have said it I know it's true.

Can I export the drum tracks I've written from GP6 as MIDI and directly import that into a better drum sampling program? Is this possible with no further re-programming? If there is a program that will do this I'll buy it.
I take it you use a PC because if you used a mac you might already know how to do this. Try downloading a copy of FL studio (there should be a cheap or free version) and then do exactly what you said. Export the drum track as midi and upload it into FL studio. The drum synths on there are pretty nice to begin with and you can download better ones like EZ drummer too if you ever feel the need.

I export mine outta finale or GP5 and then import them straight into Logic and while they don't sound "real" they sound pretty damn good. At least as good as anything you hear on the radio.

Just outta curiosity, what DAW are you using? Reaper? Audacity? Depending on that you could potentially just get EZ drummer.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I take it you use a PC because if you used a mac you might already know how to do this. Try downloading a copy of FL studio (there should be a cheap or free version) and then do exactly what you said. Export the drum track as midi and upload it into FL studio. The drum synths on there are pretty nice to begin with and you can download better ones like EZ drummer too if you ever feel the need.

I export mine outta finale or GP5 and then import them straight into Logic and while they don't sound "real" they sound pretty damn good. At least as good as anything you hear on the radio.

Just outta curiosity, what DAW are you using? Reaper? Audacity? Depending on that you could potentially just get EZ drummer.

Audacity, on PC.

Thanks for your reply. To know I can actually do the programming in GP6 and export the MIDI is great, and I will try FL studio.
Quote by Jehannum
Audacity, on PC.

Don't use Audacity, download Reaper and a free drum VSTi software.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^+1

but really if you want to even have a chance at fooling people that the drums are real you'll need to invest in a good drum synth (i recommend steven slate drums) or do some internet searching for good free samples.
Quote by Afroboy267
lolol

What?

It's exceptionally easy to do this in Garageband/logic. If you play around for 5 minutes you can see midi import and how to write it in the program itself. It's a little less intuitive on other DAWs I've used.

Also +1 to whoever said Reaper over Audacity.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Sep 7, 2011,
I've tried Reaper. Hated it. Disliked the GUI and everything about it. Perhaps the functionality is better than Audacity but I like Audacity's basicness. If there was something that only Reaper did that was incredibly useful to me I'd put up with using it.

However, this weekend I'll investigate the suggestions re: drum software. Thanks for the information.
Quote by Jehannum
I've tried Reaper. Hated it. Disliked the GUI and everything about it. Perhaps the functionality is better than Audacity but I like Audacity's basicness. If there was something that only Reaper did that was incredibly useful to me I'd put up with using it.

However, this weekend I'll investigate the suggestions re: drum software. Thanks for the information.

Well, I'm sorry to say, but you're going to have to get used to Reaper or something similar if you plan on recording anything better. As with everything, if you want better results, you need to learn a more complicated software (and really, Reaper isn't that much harder for what you'll be using it for at all). Audacity is like the MS Paint of recording, it'll get you by doing little tasks, but it certainly can't do half the things Photoshop could.

Audacity is a joke.

Reaper does a lot of things that Audacity can't do, including using drum softwares (VST instruments) and full compatibility for 3rd party VST plugins.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Audacity basically isn't a DAW.

It's damn shite.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Personally, I'm a fan of Addictive Drums used via FL Studio.
SHOOOOOPS
...is my MUSIC as good as muh shoops?

Quote by sglover34479
You know life isn't fair when people like HB are stuck posting on a guitar forum instead of rolling in bitches and cash.