Ok I think my next pick that I need to save up for needs to be a noise gate. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one to get? A friends of mine is saving up for the ISP Decimator but it is a lil expensive so I was wondering if it was really as good as? I was wondering if any of the less expensive ones like the MXR M195 Noise Clamp or the Boss NS-2 were just as good at canceling the noise yet not messing with the tone or sound any?

Thanks
Chris

My Gear-
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM, First Act VW GarageMaster
Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
The ISP Decimator is a solid noise supressor. Check it out.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
If you want an actual "gate" the ISP Decimator really can't be beat. I've owned the NS-2 and currently have the G-String version if the Decimator and its amazing.

The NS-2 is good for what it does but its not an actual "gate" persay. It's a noise suppressor, but its good for cancelling pedal noise at the end of your chain.

The only knock I have on the ISP decimator is I wish they made it with 2 threshold knobs. (1 for the guitar signal and 1 for the preamp gain) but overall id give the G-String version a 9/10. It really is a top of the line pedal.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Isp decimator is great even the regular one. I throw it in the fx loop of my amp and it quiets my preamp and still gets rid of feedback.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by bj_squeelie
If you want an actual "gate" the ISP Decimator really can't be beat. I've owned the NS-2 and currently have the G-String version if the Decimator and its amazing.

The NS-2 is good for what it does but its not an actual "gate" persay. It's a noise suppressor, but its good for cancelling pedal noise at the end of your chain.

The only knock I have on the ISP decimator is I wish they made it with 2 threshold knobs. (1 for the guitar signal and 1 for the preamp gain) but overall id give the G-String version a 9/10. It really is a top of the line pedal.

What's the difference between a gate and a suppressor? Does a gate cancel out everything under a certain dB level while a suppressor just makes it quieter? And why is the Decimator so expensive anyway? Seems like a fairly simple device but I guess there's more than meets the eye.
REGGIE
Quote by LeakyFlask
What's the difference between a gate and a suppressor? Does a gate cancel out everything under a certain dB level while a suppressor just makes it quieter? And why is the Decimator so expensive anyway? Seems like a fairly simple device but I guess there's more than meets the eye.

You got it, gate cuts everything once the signal is below a certain level. Suppresor is supposed to filter the noise without altering the tone.

The ISP decimators to date are the only ones who don't affect the tone. Basically its ISP or nothing at all imo.
WTLTL 2011
ISP.