Basically, so me and a friend are going to live in Italy for a while. We are WWOOFing (Worlwide Organisation of Organic Farming) which means, in exchange for a few hours a day working the land, we get free food and accommodation.

We are flying tomorrow to Pisa, spending two nights before spending two nights in Florence. We start our job on Monday, which consists of planting olive trees and looking after the bees.

We are travelling North to South, and hope to end up at the 'boot' after a few months.

Is anyone familiar with Italy? Live there? What should we look out for on our travels? Any particular hot-spots?

Also, as of tomorrow, I shan't be posting in the Pit (not that anyone really cares ), because I will be too busy drinking red wine and chasing Italian girls.

Anyway, its been a pleasure Pit. Salute!

You have to climb (well, follow the footpath up) Mount Vesuvius, and visit Pompeii.

For Vesuvius, I'd recommend getting one of the coaches up to the base area, and following the path from there, there's not really much on the way up to there, and the coaches coming each way take up just about every last mm of space on the road!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
how could you leave us TS?
iamdisappoint...
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
It's also well worth spending a couple of days exploring everything that Naples has to offer, there are some wonderful churches to explore there, and the narrow, store lined alleys have a real charm.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Only been to Italy once but the leaning tower of Piza (however cliche) is actually thoroughly impressive, it leans much more than you think it would. I also remember Florence being a pretty brilliant city, have fun.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Spent almost 2 weeks there, this summer.

The women are indeed as beautiful as they say. I'd say even more. If you're walking around Rome, I'd say 80-90% of women ages 18-38 look like a model. You'll see tons of women that look like Marisa Tomei or Jamie Lynn Sigler.

Thing is unless you look like a male-model who speaks Italian, they'll want nothing to do with you.

People there are very superficial. It's a good and bad thing. Good as the women there will wear things half of Americans girls don't have the confidence to wear. But, such materialistic behavior leads to snobbery. In the US, f you see a guy wearing a suit, he's most likely a businessman or accountant. You see a guy wearing a suit in Italy, he can be a wealthy businessman or a poor cashier.

I tried to walk around like a normal person, and they were friendly with me. If you walk around like a clueless tourist, they'll f*cking hate you.
Quote by The Madcap
Spent almost 2 weeks there, this summer.

The women are indeed as beautiful as they say. I'd say even more. If you're walking around Rome, I'd say 80-90% of women ages 18-38 look like a model. You'll see tons of women that look like Marisa Tomei or Jamie Lynn Sigler.

Thing is unless you look like a male-model who speaks Italian, they'll want nothing to do with you.

People there are very superficial. It's a good and bad thing. Good as the women there will wear things half of Americans girls don't have the confidence to wear. But, such materialistic behavior leads to snobbery. In the US, f you see a guy wearing a suit, he's most likely a businessman or accountant. You see a guy wearing a suit in Italy, he can be a wealthy businessman or a poor cashier.

I tried to walk around like a normal person, and they were friendly with me. If you walk around like a clueless tourist, they'll f*cking hate you.

This is true, but also the case in many, if not all, cities. Actually, scrap that. That's not true. Paris is though - the stereotypical rude waiters are a thing to behold!

I imagine we will be in pretty rural areas to be fair, and hopefully we will pick up a fair amount of the lingo. I doubt many people are going to speak English, so we will literally have to get buy with Italian.
Quote by fender_696

This is true, but also the case in many, if not all, cities. Actually, scrap that. That's not true. Paris is though - the stereotypical rude waiters are a thing to behold!

I imagine we will be in pretty rural areas to be fair, and hopefully we will pick up a fair amount of the lingo. I doubt many people are going to speak English, so we will literally have to get buy with Italian.
Yeah, it's not just Italy, but in US cities like LA, we're not gonna say bad things about people right next to us at obnoxiously loud volumes because they're new to the city and taking pictures or something.

I found a good portion of Italians to be very negative and rude.

EDIT: People in rural areas were quite nicer. I went to two little cities called Orvieto and Tavernuzze in the Tuscany region and most of the people there were pretty nice. Although it was in those towns I encountered the biggest jackasses of the whole trip in Italy, too.
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 7, 2011,
I'm Italian, and I suggest to you not to be blinded by the art/food/women. Italy is an incompetent , useless, backward country run by scumbags, voted by scumbags, and blessed by a scumbag dressed in a white robe.

Ask yourself why most italian university graduates leave the country (well most get their degrees at foreign unis) and never come back.

/cynical student who's been living outside the country for more than 14 years.
Last edited by classical_gas at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by classical_gas
I'm Italian, and I suggest to you not to be blinded by the art/food/women. Italy is an incompetent , useless, backward country run by scumbags, voted by scumbags, and blessed by a scumbag dressed in a white robe.

Ask yourself why most italian university graduates leave the country (well most get their degrees at foreign unis) and never come back.

An encouraging pre-trip prep talk.

Quote by fender_696
An encouraging pre-trip prep talk.

Indeed, but if you're an artsy person and like food/farming/nature, I'm sure you'll be ok

(just don't go anywhere south of Rome)
Quote by classical_gas

I agree with this. Haven't really seen the south but the North ain't Pandora either
Quote by classical_gas

I'm not Italian, nor have I even been in Italy, but doesn't that pretty much relate to a lot of other countries as well? Like Portugal, Spain, and the UK? (UK for politics, everybody knows the UK doesn't have hot women)
Quote by Philip_pepper
everybody knows the UK doesn't have hot women)

Or good food.

Or even that much nice art.
Quote by maiden_man_666
Sorry... what?

All the restaurants that I've been to in the UK would not survive if they were in Germany, Portugal, or Canada.

Sometimes I think you could serve the Scots dog food on a plate, call it a Risotto, and they'll eat it.

Just personal opinion, sorry if it sounds offensive.
italian people liked me when i was there. granted i spoke spanish and italy is sort of similar to latin american countries like brazil and mexico.

also watch some neorealisme italiam films: La Strada, Ladri di Biciclette, Le Notti di Cabiria, etc.

things are awesome in italian, actually.

i don't think this is true :

maybe it's just an american thing, i'm not american and people treat me nicely.

also : spanish = italian.
You should just know that italian women are a myth.

Worst part of the story is, if we were yesterday I would totally have said "french girls are the nicest" but dude, today was my first day in college here in France and god I am disapointed.
Quote by Philip_pepper
All the restaurants that I've been to in the UK would not survive if they were in Germany, Portugal, or Canada.

Sometimes I think you could serve the Scots dog food on a plate, call it a Risotto, and they'll eat it.

Just personal opinion, sorry if it sounds offensive.

Nah I'm kidding Most of our food over here is shite
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by cubs
italian people liked me when i was there. granted i spoke spanish and italy is sort of similar to latin american countries like brazil and mexico.

also watch some neorealisme italiam films: La Strada, Ladri di Biciclette, Le Notti di Cabiria, etc.

things are awesome in italian, actually.

i don't think this is true :

maybe it's just an american thing, i'm not american and people treat me nicely.

also : spanish = italian.
Watched that film. Fantastic.

I like the scene where he and the lad have wine in that restaurant, with the live music playing. Great stuff.
I will just say this TS ..................................................Monica Bellucci
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by Philip_pepper
Is it just me, or do Italian women look fantastic, until they hit 30, and then they look like 55?

Totally true. Age hits them like a brick

I've slit the throats of clergymen and governors
Those bloated swine...
May their screams unhinge a thankless crown

<= last.fm

Quote by Butt Rayge

Everyone is cunts.
Age hits them like a brick? Someone is here to disagree:

Quote by deathdrummer
I will just say this TS ..................................................Monica Bellucci
This man knows what he is talking about.
is that a painting?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Pizza. That is all.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by Arn0
You should just know that italian women are a myth.

Worst part of the story is, if we were yesterday I would totally have said "french girls are the nicest" but dude, today was my first day in college here in France and god I am disapointed.

Having left france about a month ago, I can honestly say, that there are very few French girls that are really quite nice looking. I agree with you there.

However, now I'm in Wales, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how many nice-looking girls there are here.

Italy though, I'd love to wile away a week in Rome, Firenze and Venice. Cool places.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
North Italy is where u would encounter the most arrogant and unfriendly people on the planet. They will try and scam the clothes of u so beware!I hear the South is better but can't really say...metered taxis usually start the meter at 4 euros and demand 5 euros extra than what it says on the meter at the end of a trip, this is apparent in almost any businesss exchange, it is best dealt with either a swift kick to the face and the correct amount thrown on the crumpled body, or a "this is all im giving u asshole!" and the correct amount thrown in the face.either works like a charm!
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
buon viaggio, you lucky individual you
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
If you go to Milan, go eat lunch at Luini's. It's a little shop next to the Duomo that sells these things:

They are fried and have all sorts of delicious stuff inside, and you can get five for about 6 euros.
Also, if you get the urge, NEVER EVER eat in any cafè in the galleria, as they are all assholes evading taxes and being generally unlikable.

edit:
...oh, it appears I am too late

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Last edited by solo_freak at Nov 23, 2011,