I'd really like to get some new pups for my strat. I'd be getting these http://store.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Killer-Black-Humbucker-Rail-Pickup-for-Strats-Three-Versions-Available_p_461.html for the bridge and neck. I hardly ever use the middle pup so I wouldn't need it, would I? I'm just not sure if it'll make a difference in sound when used with my rp355. Because some people say they do make a difference and some say they don't. I'm kind of confused. I ask too many questions, don't I?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
From my experience the RP series' model do not have sufficient transparency and reactivity to benefit from a pup upgrade.

Plus the average quality of the GFS pups really don't shine much IMO. You will probably have low noise and better clarity... but that's about all the improvements you will see.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Yeah, my tone is pretty muddy and I'd really like to get a better tone from the unit.
Quote by ragingkitty
From my experience the RP series' model do not have sufficient transparency and reactivity to benefit from a pup upgrade.

Plus the average quality of the GFS pups really don't shine much IMO. You will probably have low noise and better clarity... but that's about all the improvements you will see.

Hes changing from single coil to humbucker... that's a Huge change not just an upgrade,
i knew that the Digitech rp355 is not the best MFX But different guitars/pickups have different sound, even if it's not that transparent
I don't even know what you mean by reactivity, it's reacts very good, in a unique way, but not like the modelled amp
(But i think transparancy is not a problem with the rp 355,bet the eq and the models are shit, i know i have one)
Got to my profile and listen to "rp355 demo #2". How much better will my tone get going from that?
Transparency of the RP is not an issue. The RP can be as transparent as you want it to be. Upgrading pups is a shot in the dark. Going from single coils to humbuckers will produce a dramatic change in tone. But upgrading SC to another SC or HB to another HB may only produce a nominal change in tone.

I upgraded an Affinity Tele from stock to GFS SC sized humbuckers and it was a big improvement. Nowadays I have plenty of HB guitars so I'd like to pick up some tele pups for it and switch it back to SC.
Dude, I went from humbuckers to P90s through my RP355 and noticed a pretty massive change in tone that I love - I really don't think that the RP355 will drown out tonal differences between pickups. I do wish that the RP355 didn't sound as synthetic once in a while though, some of the presets sound a little too digital to me
Quote by Nemui-Kuma
(But i think transparancy is not a problem with the rp 355,bet the eq and the models are shit, i know i have one)
Your problem is not knowing how to use it. What you have hooked up to your RP355 can completely change how you set it up.
thats why you make your own presets
Last edited by kutless999 at Sep 7, 2011,
Presets on ANY MFX, even the Axe Fx are shit.
Make your own.
And dont EQ it like you would do a real amp.
And mind what you run it through.
It will always be shit through headphones/a guitar amp without an FX loop.

Ideally, use an FRFR rig of some sort.

EDIT: And the RP series will be affected pretty big by new pups.

My MH100 has a bright-ish sort of sound. My H-51 sounds much much MUCH darker, and has a very big bass bloom when palm muting. THe only differences are that the H is agathis (MH is basswood) and its a TOM whereas the MH is an LFR. Exact same pups.

So with a different type of pup, not to mention a much better set (GFS ones are better than Squire Affinity I daresay), the difference will be massive.
Not to mention humbuckers will get you a fat dark sound that Kut is probably wanting for heavy stuff. The only half heavy artist I know who uses single coils is Malmsteen
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
It will always be shit through headphones/a guitar amp without an FX loop.
Not my G3 Sounds awesome through headphones.
Quote by Nemui-Kuma

I don't even know what you mean by reactivity, it's reacts very good, in a unique way, but not like the modelled amp

If an amp model doesn't react like the amp its modeling then it's just bad, not unique.

Let me simplify this.

If it's algothrithms drown out dynamics of a pup then it reacts poorly.

From my test the RP doesn't respond all that well to changes in pups. Of course between a SC and HB, you'll hear differences. It'd be silly if you can't hear any difference between the two. It's not as bad as the Boss GT series, but it ain't exactly packing in dynamics IMO.

At best the RP is just about as reactive and dynamic as a Pod 2.0 IMO.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 8, 2011,
Ok, i'm going to order the pickup tonight. For the bridge, i should get one with a 15k output, right?
Quote by kutless999
Ok, i'm going to order the pickup tonight. For the bridge, i should get one with a 15k output, right?

well that totally depends on what you want out of the pup. this should be determined with an amp not a MFX unit.

i'm going to agree wit RagingKitty on this i doubt you'll notice a huge change. modellers are setup to mimick an amp but not to "see" varoius pickups through said amp. a model is built on an ideal sound. when i record with my POD and use my strats thee really isn't much of a difference tone wish between the 2. one has Lace Sensors that hve a higher output strat sound and the other has vintage style strat pups. through an amp huge difference. through the POD not so much. even between humbuckers and single coils not a big difference.
Just ordered the lil killer 15k pup in black. Ill do a comparison when I get it installed.