Page 1 of 3
Funeral doom does not really fit in the doom metal thread nor in the death metal thread so I think a thread just for discussing funeral doom is in order.

So Skepticism and Ahab have been kicking my ass this morning. What about you?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
great idea. i think it was also you (or maybe cheeselord) who recc'd catacombs to me a while back. i still listen to that album almost daily. in the depths of r' lyeh is my highest rated funeral doom album.
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
Quote by Nitnatsnok
lol this a real genre?

Yes as a matter of fact.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Last edited by Crazed Shredder at Sep 7, 2011,
interesting concept, is it mostly metal?

Or are there some prog/alternative rock elements and such?
Last edited by Nitnatsnok at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by Nitnatsnok
lol this a real genre?

who is your favorite metal band?
Quote by Magero
listened to an esoteric song earlier for 20 minutes will probably finish it later

bit of skumring on right now
Quote by ambivalent615
who is your favorite metal band?

Don't listen to much metal...
Boring as fuck for the most part, as far as I'm concerned. A few decent artists scattered about however, namely Skepticism, Pantheïst and Shape Of Despair.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

There are Ahab and Skepticism threads already. Why not just use those?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Nitnatsnok
interesting concept, is it mostly metal?

Or are there some prog/alternative rock elements and such?

Yes metal, but with an ambient atmospheric quality added to it. Listen to Skepticism.

EDIT:
Quote by Stranglehold
There are Ahab and Skepticism threads already. Why not just use those?
Plenty of other noteworthy bands in the genre who could be discussed here. Evoken, Mournful Congregation, Colosseum, Tyranny just to name a few.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Last edited by Crazed Shredder at Sep 7, 2011,
i dont listen to much metal, but i love funeral doom
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Crazed Shredder
Yes metal, but with an ambient atmospheric quality added to it. Listen to Skepticism.

EDIT: Plenty of other noteworthy bands in the genre who could be discussed here. Evoken, Mournful Congregation, Colosseum, Tyranny just to name a few.

k, I'll give them a listen
Quote by Nitnatsnok
Don't listen to much metal...

that makes sense then. it is a real genre, and it can be immersive and atmospheric and paint a great picture, but like kepulix said, a huge chunk of the material is just boring. you have to be in the mood to listen to the same plodding riff for twenty minutes, and then you have to find the appropriate band/ song, but it can be rewarding.
Quote by Magero
Thergothon is cool.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
Pantheist need more love. Pretty much progressive funeral doom, if you will.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I'm not a big fan, but some bands are pretty good. I love doom, but when I listen to metal I want it to punch me in the face.
My favorite kind of Metal other than Black and Death Metal.

Abstract Spirit-Liquid Dimensions Change

Is a fantastic release from a Russian band, utilizing some near virtuosic keyboard playing at times, and is absolute oppressive, while having a strong sense of melody and atmosphere.Can't rec that album enough.

Funeral Doom is great because of how far removed it is from it's influences, it really forged it's own nice and is extremely underrated due to how inaccessible it is and the huge amount of boring bands who don't understand how to make those monolithic songs really shine.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

I will love this band forever, even if they never ever release Monolithe III after making about 45 teaser videos for it
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
This thread conveniently provides an outlet for me to express how absolutely spectacular Colosseum's Chapter 3: Parasomnia is, as I recently realized.
never really listened to Colosseum, seems like I should considering how much praise they get.

Ea are also one of my favorite FD bands.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Totally forgot about Ea. Easily one of the best.
Quote by beadhangingOne

I guess these guys were one of the first? Anyways, I really dig this Thergothon demo, it sounds like it was recorded in a cavern.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
I feel it should be pointed out that there is a Funeral Doom section to the recommendation thread:

Starting Points:
Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea, The Divinity Of Oceans
Evoken -Antithesis of Light
Shape Of Despair-Illusion's Play

Best Of:
Evoken - Embrace The Emptiness
Skepticism - Stormcrowfleet ~ Lead and Aether ~ Alloy
Thergothon - Streams From the Heavens
Esoteric - Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum
Wormphlegm - Tomb Of The Ancient King

Further Listening:
Abstract Spirit - Liquid Dimension Change
Doom:VS-Empire Of The Fallen
Ea - Au Ellai, Ea Taesse
Imindain - Monlithium
Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation
Nivathe - Enveloped In A Diseased Abyss
Nortt - Gudsforladt
Pantheist - Amartia, Journey Through Lands Unknown
Stabat Mater - Stabat Mater
Tyranny - Bleak Vistae

Skepticism, Evoken, and Thergoton are the must listens. Somebody mentioned Worship, who should also be given a listen.
Quote by NotFromANUS
I feel it should be pointed out that there is a Funeral Doom section to the recommendation thread:

Skepticism, Evoken, and Thergoton are the must listens. Somebody mentioned Worship, who should also be given a listen.

Worship's Last Tape Before Doomsday is pretty much the greatest thing ever
My main gripe with funeral doom is that sometimes it tends to ramble, but when it's focused it can be an extremely worthwhile endeavor.

Has anyone heard Evoken's split with Beneath the Frozen Soil? I really like Evoken's tracks on it, don't much care for the other band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWLv5mGp16Y
Esoteric's The Pernicious Enigma was one of the first metal albums to actually scare me. It's a damn masterpiece.

I'm very rarely in the mood for funeral doom anymore but there's some stuff in the genre that can literally ruin your day after you listen to it. Which, of course, is why it's awesome.

Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Has anyone heard Evoken's split with Beneath the Frozen Soil? I really like Evoken's tracks on it, don't much care for the other band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWLv5mGp16Y

Are they all otherwise unavailable songs? I might have to look into this.
Quote by Scourge441
Are they all otherwise unavailable songs? I might have to look into this.

I believe so, yes. Though to be honest, after listening more I think that Omniscient eclipses the rest of the songs.
scourge list out which ones have ruined your day haha

I love Tragedies cause it actually makes me feel the grief of a funeral and all that
Quote by sg_man08

I guess these guys were one of the first? Anyways, I really dig this Thergothon demo, it sounds like it was recorded in a cavern.

winner of this thread,such an incredibly unique and powerful atmosphere on that demo.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by NosferatuZodd09
which album? I've only heard Chpt 1 and 2... only listen to 2

Assuming you're talking to me. Chapter 1 mainly, but I enjoy the others just as much
The best of Evoken

I like when funeral doom borrows from traditional and death doom more often than when it tries to be its own entity. Just doesn't do it for me.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Page 1 of 3