Page 1 of 4
Ok so the pit has seen it's share of threads regarding people's history homework but I haven't seen any threads set up for the discussion of events in history so that's what this will be.

History always has had a certain amount of spin to it "history is written by the victors" so they say, and this leads to some debate over what actually happened so I'd like to lay out a couple ground rules

1. No flaming/trolling, c'mon guys we can be civil right?

2. If you are going to debate do a little more research than Wikipedia, this is open to questions by those with less knowledge of history but if you're going to argue with someone who knows something do your homework otherwise it's just a waste of time

3. Relax..we aren't gonna be a bunch of hard-asses in here,we're just gonna talk some history and have a good time

Well let's get down to it!
My E-Family

Quote by Scyther
Banned are vic and rebel at it again? Do I need to get the hose?

Quote by Oyface
What a rare sight, a non ignorant christian.

UG's Most Attractive Female 2011!!

PM me if you are ready for a jail break
so how about that Genghis Khan?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
9/11 was an inside job
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
oh yea all bush's fault
My E-Family

Quote by Scyther

Quote by Oyface

I've studied 2 terms of economic history and 1 term of history so I'll hang around here.

I'd gladly discuss and help people with anything they might need if I know about it of course.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
@Johnny That's cool i've mostly studied ancient battle history so another angle will be great
My E-Family

Quote by Scyther

Quote by Oyface

one time they had a special on the History Channel about the Dark Ages. i don't really remember any of it, but i sure remember the commercial for the special.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
oh yea that was a good special
My E-Family

Quote by Scyther

Quote by Oyface

I absolutely love the fact that History Channel is constantly showing 2012 programs. Especially those about the Annunaki and ancient astronomers.
The History Channel hardly airs any actual history programming. It's mostly shows about lumberjacks and truckers and pawn shops. And one hosted by Larry the Cable Guy.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
i know it bums me out....it's a second discovery channel
My E-Family

Quote by Scyther

Quote by Oyface

All my research has lead me to believe that the confederate states did in fact win the civil war, and they are actually using a slave to control the US at this very moment.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by MakinLattes
How about them Habsburgs?

DOn't get me started on them

I'm taking a bachelor's degree in History, so I'll hang around here a lot (I guess),

Also, a tip: do some research about Otto Von Bismarck. Bad-ass douchebag, right there! The way he managed to create the North German Confederation in 1867 is just incredible.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
The only thing I can probably debate about in History is Conisbrough Castle. Got 96% on my essay. Oh yeah.

So... It has walls.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I don't like the overload of programs about 2012 and 9/11. I mean come on, they've been done loads of times.

And I'm best on Depression-Era gangsters like John Dillinger and Machine Gun Kelly. And I'm good enough at explorations. So if you have any questions on any of those, just ask.
Quote by Fishybones
DOn't get me started on them

I'm taking a bachelor's degree in History, so I'll hang around here a lot (I guess),

Also, a tip: do some research about Otto Von Bismarck. Bad-ass douchebag, right there! The way he managed to create the North German Confederation in 1867 is just incredible.

Bismarck is basically the father of a social service system. Or well, him and his staff of politicians. Preussen is a fascinating country, amazing at everything.

Something is wrong with Germans. They are amazing at absolutely everything.
Quote by padgea7x
The only thing I can probably debate about in History is Conisbrough Castle. Got 96% on my essay. Oh yeah.

So... It has walls.

Fucking prove it
Quote by padgea7x

So... It has walls.

Bullshit, castles don't have walls.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Bismarck is basically the father of a social service system. Or well, him and his staff of politicians. Preussen is a fascinating country, amazing at everything.

Well, he was in many ways the father of the social service system, but the way he persecuded the catholics after he united Germany was kind of.... brutal and terrible.
Gear:

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Fucking prove it

There must be some walls somewhere

Quote by Fishybones
Well, he was in many ways the father of the social service system, but the way he persecuded the catholics after he united Germany was kind of.... brutal and terrible.

this as a catholic myself those persecutions make me sick

inb4 Inquisition jokes
My E-Family

Quote by Scyther

Quote by Oyface

Quote by Fishybones

And absolutely awesome.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
And absolutely awesome.

You got to give the man credit though. He managed to turn the opinon of the entire Prussian parlament and the king, and start a war against Austria, the other "super-state" in Germany at the time.
Gear:

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Except humor.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Craigo
I'm actually going to be studying the American Civil War era this term. Could anyone recommend me any decent documentaries on it?

I don't know any documentaries, but there is something interesting. I'm from Oklahoma, and our part in the Civil War is overlooked because we didn't really sway the winning side or anything, but the Cherokee were completely torn apart over the issue and many tribes went to war with eachother. Whenever I heard this I always thought it made Oklahoma sound really interesting during the Civil War, but tribal politics interest me more than the average person.
Quote by padgea7x

There must be some walls somewhere

Clearly photoshopped

I can tell by the pixels, and from having seen a few shoops in my time
Quote by Fishybones
You got to give the man credit though. He managed to turn the opinon of the entire Prussian parlament and the king, and start a war against Austria, the other "super-state" in Germany at the time.

When was Austria a state in Germany?

Nevermind, I just read about it. Never heard about that war to be fair. Interesting.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Clearly photoshopped

I can tell by the pixels, and from having seen a few shoops in my time

Here's a non-photoshopped one

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
When was Austria a state in Germany?

Nevermind, I just read about it. Never heard about that war to be fair. Interesting.

It's really interesting actually. On one side you had protestant Prussia (Wilhelm I and Otto Von Bismarck), and on the other side, catholic Austria with Franz Josef I. Both states wanted to be the supreme power in a nation consiting of 38 states (better than the 300'ish states it consisted of before the Napoleonic Wars )
Gear:

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1