I am thinking about replacing the pickups in my fender strat but i really dont know anything about it... i dont know what brand to get or how much of a difference it makes in sound or anything... soo any suggestions would be helpfull
First off what guitar and amp are you using. Second, what about your tone do you want to change?
wow u replied fast...

im using a fender strat its got a humbucker and two single coil pickups and for an amp im using a fender frontman 212r and im lookin for more of a ska/punk sound
Your not going to really get much of an improvement towards your ska sound by upgrading your pickups. Is it more gain you want on top of your tone, or is it just better sound quality your looking for?
what's your budget?

do you live near a guitar store?

can i suggest you take your guitar into

a guitar store and plug into a few different types of amps first?

if you do that, you might find the change you're looking for.
even if you if you dont find a new amp,
you'll at least have a better idea of what tone you're
looking for. and will have a better idea of what pup you'd like.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 7, 2011,
yea i live pretty close to a guitar store and i'll try out some amps sometime soon and let youu knoww thanks for all the helpp
yeah, i mean, take your guitar there. they should let you hook it up and check out
the difference a tube or maybe a better than intermediate amp makes.

and if that's the way you want to go, Or if you'd rather go with the more subtle
pup tone change.

then return and revive this!

edit: also, keep in mind some people swap out one pickup.
and trade in their amp for an upgrade.
sort of help their budget that way.
the pickups dont all need to be swapped at the same time.

plus! remember, some shops charge $40 to swap a pickup,
and it's about 20 mins of work.
an hour, if it's your first time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by musicfreakbw
better soundd quality

If you're looking for an overall improvement in tone, getting a new amp will make the bigger difference. If your Strat is a Fender then the pickups are most likely decent and unless you're mostly a clean player you won't notice a big improvement through your current amp.
REGGIE
Quote by jj1565
yeah, i mean, take your guitar there. they should let you hook it up and check out
the difference a tube or maybe a better than intermediate amp makes.

and if that's the way you want to go, Or if you'd rather go with the more subtle
pup tone change.

then return and revive this!

edit: also, keep in mind some people swap out one pickup.
and trade in their amp for an upgrade.
sort of help their budget that way.
the pickups dont all need to be swapped at the same time.

plus! remember, some shops charge $40 to swap a pickup,
and it's about 20 mins of work.
an hour, if it's your first time.

I wish! Took me 3 days. All new everything in my rg.
My last single pup swap (aftermath) took maybe 5 minutes. 15 w/ setting up the edge 3.
I'm trying to think what makes for a good ska or reggae sound. I'm thinking a basically clean sound, bright, and with a lot of reverb. Your current set-up may already be pretty good for that - crank up the treble and reverb, and keep the amp on the clean channel. Does that make sense?

Later add: Here's a link that talks a bit about how to get a reggae sound. It's more or less in line with above.

http://www.how-to-play-reggae.com/Reggae-guitar.html
Last edited by rschleicher at Sep 7, 2011,