hey its been a while

anyway im wondering if anyone here has any idea of the relase value of Shamray guitars, i purchased mine in 2005 and its been my number 1 guitar ever since but im not sure wether or not its time for a change, i got a quote a few months ago and for its current specs it would currently cost around $5000 from shamray (£3000 was what i was quoted)

basically i know thats what it would cost new but this is my custom and has my name on the 24th fret and the headstock, im just wondering how much this would devalue the guitar (its also a love or hate guitar)

anyway a few pics then ill add the specs

anyway the basic specs are:

PRS (Paul Allander) Replica modified

Ibanez Wizard thru neck

EMG 85/81 pickups

1V 1T 1 3way rotary selector

all mahogany build (Maple cap)

flame mahogany back

Quilt maple top

abalone ingraved bat inlays

any idea what i might get for it, i know it might be hit or miss but i dont want to sell this unless i know i can relace it with a worthwile guitar

edit more pics http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v435/death26row/guitar%20stuff/
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Last edited by gtanny at Sep 7, 2011,
Besides the bat inalys, that looks like a nice guitar. why do you want to sell it?
that's absolutely gorgeous!

but can't afford
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Theres a difficult question. You arent going to get anything near its value if its custom. Hard to know without seeing the guitar, id be guessing £1500
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
I can't see first 3 pictures, what the hell?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
ive editied the first post with pics and put a link to my photobucket

if i was to get £1500 i wouldnt be too dissapointed as in 2005 (well i ordered it in 2004) it cost me £1700 or just over $3000 at the exchange rate at the time

the reason im tempted to sell (not a definate yet) is that im suffering from GAS and ive now had the guitar 7 years and would love a change but i cant justify another high end purchase with a 3 year old and another baby on the way, the only way would be to sell this first
CS-1985 Pics
I don't know who would pay much for a guitar with your name inlayed on it, unless they share the same name.
that's kinda the problem if you get flourishes like your name and stuff on it...

it's not an issue of depreciation but more finding a willing buyer.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
that's kinda the problem if you get flourishes like your name and stuff on it...

i suppose my best bet would be too google my namesakes and see if i happen to find one thats big on guitar

Also its custom shop number is CS-1985 which is my year of birth

im starting to think this may be an issue then, also my wife isnt very happy im even thinking of selling it let alone going through with a sale... maybe for the best because i know i would regret it in the long run

cheers for the replys so far anyway guys
CS-1985 Pics
Why would you even considering selling it? You'd be loosing $2000 in the sell, and you'd be loosing a guitar designed just for you. Don't be stupid just cause you have GAS, I'd keep it and pass it down in my family, you don't just pitch off $5000 guitars like they are practice amps just cause you want a new one.

Just save up money for whatever you're gassing for. Simple, easy, and everybody wins.
don't give into the GAS!!!
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Its hard, but to be honest the makers name has a bigger impact on value than anything, if the makers name is big you can shift anything without much issue.

Not easy with kids, but think about it, the grass is always greener.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
That is a really cool guitar and the inlays are sweet. Don't sell it man.
£1000 very tops.

Sorry.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i will hit you if you even think about selling that beauty again...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Cheers guys, I think my GAS will be around for a while so I'm going to try save for an RR3, ESP SV or an ibanez RG... I like the style of the RR but love ibanez wizard necks.
CS-1985 Pics
Quote by AcousticMirror

yeah

customs take a big hit in resale value- nothing to do with the quality of the instrument, but because often the custom shop isn't well known, and also the original purchaser has often specced it out with weird specs.

also buyers know that they take a massive hit in resale, and bid/offer accordingly.

i know that's not what you want to hear, but, unless you just get lucky and find someone who wants it, that's pretty much the way it is, unfortunately.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Why would you even considering selling it? You'd be loosing $2000 in the sell, and you'd be loosing a guitar designed just for you. Don't be stupid just cause you have GAS, I'd keep it and pass it down in my family, you don't just pitch off $5000 guitars like they are practice amps just cause you want a new one.

Just save up money for whatever you're gassing for. Simple, easy, and everybody wins.

+1, exactly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK - update

ive had a morning of guitar browsing and after playing a few guitars ive decided there is no way i am selling my custom. i dont know if its because im used to my guitar so much but they all felt like such a letdown.

not that they were bad but they werent as good as i remeber them being last time i went 'high end' guitar shopping... ive got one more guitar shop to browse but if i see anything i like it will be saved for... dont know when i will get there though as its a good drive away
CS-1985 Pics
Thank god you came to your senses.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1

sometimes you have to try what else is available to see how good what you already have is.

best grammar ever. lulz.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?