Im starting to notice that when I play I get a crackling sound(like a bad pot), I tried both my amps and recorded straight into my PC and same thing. Anyone know what this can be? It happens even when I'm not touching the Switch or knobs.
I play guitar.
This may be a dumb answer, but maybe something as simple as a cable. I recently stopped using Monster cables and switched to Mogami because I had to replace my Monster 3 times in the last year because even after replacing and rewiring my pickups, i was still getting static/crackle at performances. Got a new cable, crystal clear. But that'd be a signal crackle. Does it sound like the amp or does it change when you do something different to the strings?
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

sounds like the input jack is going. Those are cheap and easy to replace, all you have to do is re solder the connection and you're done. You can get new ones from all parts, and while your at it you might as well get some new pots too.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
idt its my jack since it never gets loose and when I wiggly the cable it doesn't do anything.

I think it can be the electronics or maybe the cables. Ill do some testing when I can.
But if you can think of anything else it can be please let me know so I can try that also.
-Thanks
I play guitar.
Quote by TheWho2
idt its my jack since it never gets loose and when I wiggly the cable it doesn't do anything.

I think it can be the electronics or maybe the cables. Ill do some testing when I can.
But if you can think of anything else it can be please let me know so I can try that also.
-Thanks

It's the input jack, just cause it's not loose doesn't mean it don't got a dirty connection. I just replaced mine like 2 years ago and it's already starting to get scratchy. Idk why, but all the jacks in everything I own just get dirty real fast and loose connection.

Easy way to test, just start twisting the cable around in the jack, if it starts making sounds, then it's going bad. A good jack wont make any noise when you spin the cable in there.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's the input jack, just cause it's not loose doesn't mean it don't got a dirty connection. I just replaced mine like 2 years ago and it's already starting to get scratchy. Idk why, but all the jacks in everything I own just get dirty real fast and loose connection.

Easy way to test, just start twisting the cable around in the jack, if it starts making sounds, then it's going bad. A good jack wont make any noise when you spin the cable in there.

I just tried that, no crackle even with the connector cables on my pedal board.
Then I was trying to get the guitar to crackle and of course it didn't happen.
I know sometimes my switch and volume knob crackle but, sometimes I don't even touch them and I hear a crackle as previously stated.
I play guitar.
Quote by TheWho2
I just tried that, no crackle even with the connector cables on my pedal board.
Then I was trying to get the guitar to crackle and of course it didn't happen.
I know sometimes my switch and volume knob crackle but, sometimes I don't even touch them and I hear a crackle as previously stated.

Then replace the switch and the pots that do crackle, neither is ever supposed to crackle, if they do, then they are on their way out, might as well replace them anyways.