This always happens when I start to practice regularly again, (I have no intentions of stopping this time).

I spend a great deal of time at the computer since well ALL my work is based around them. Every single last bit. Including reading shit.

So, I'll bet it has to do with my wrist posture at the desk, which i can easily fix. But this must indicate something im doing wrong with my strumming hand as well.

What causes a sore wrist at the joint on a strumming hand?

EDIT: it always occurs about 3-4 weeks after i start practicing regularly.
Last edited by Halt at Sep 7, 2011,
If your hand is turned to far towards you, I could see it getting sore. How do you strum?
Quote by mark3777
If your hand is turned to far towards you, I could see it getting sore. How do you strum?

I'll upload a video and link it. My wrist is straight, but i pivot it back and forth as well as moving my arm up and down. The video will *hopefully* be able to shed some light.
I have various wrist issues in both wrists... I would suggest getting a wrist brace for your strumming hand you can find them at shoppers drugmart or like stores.

They inhibit you're playing but I wear them while typing it and helps reduce overall stress. Sounds like you could use them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZfZsYxsmCw&feature=player_embedded

Yeaah, Pretty sure that's bad. Dicked around. I'm pretty sure i need it fix this, yeah?

Quote by 7orch
I have various wrist issues in both wrists... I would suggest getting a wrist brace for your strumming hand you can find them at shoppers drugmart or like stores.

They inhibit you're playing but I wear them while typing it and helps reduce overall stress. Sounds like you could use them!

I have one somewhere actually.
Quote by one-dead-cop
too much wank

^^

OT: Change the way you hold the pick. When I changed from pretty much the way you're doing it in that video to the 'traditional' way, I felt a lot less pain. I'll see if I can find a picture. It takes a while to get used to it but it's worth it.

This.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Sep 7, 2011,
Quote by Reisgar42
^^

OT: Change the way you hold the pick. When I changed from pretty much the way you're doing it in that video to the 'traditional' way, I felt a lot less pain. I'll see if I can find a picture. It takes a while to get used to it but it's worth it.

This.

Alrighty, ill give it a shot. also, what to do about the wrist pain as of now?

I should say, you and I both live in wisconsin, where at do you live?
I live in Lake Mills if you've heard of it. 25 miles East of Madison.

I'd honestly just lay off the wrist for two or three days. Maybe play a half hour a day at most, but be sure to be practicing your positioning during that time just for the sake of getting it in your head. When I had that pain I dug up an old wrist brace and wore it for a few days when I wasn't doing anything important (ie: Not typing anything, just doing nothing). Take aspirin if you really need it but try to avoid it. It might take a while until the pain goes away.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42
I live in Lake Mills if you've heard of it. 25 miles East of Madison.

I'd honestly just lay off the wrist for two or three days. Maybe play a half hour a day at most, but be sure to be practicing your positioning during that time just for the sake of getting it in your head. When I had that pain I dug up an old wrist brace and wore it for a few days when I wasn't doing anything important (ie: Not typing anything, just doing nothing). Take aspirin if you really need it but try to avoid it. It might take a while until the pain goes away.

Of course you live down south, everyone ****ing does.

There's not many time when im not at a computer doing something. my wrist doesn't hurt to the point where I need the brace. its more or less just irritating right now. I've made my adjustments while at the computer to take stress off of it.

But yeah if I'm not doing work at the computer, I'm browsing UG, IRC, browsing netflix or playing guitar :P
I was doing physical therapy for a different issue when I started having strumming wrist pain, I asked my PT to look at it and she told me I'd strained a flexor tendon from holding the pick too hard. I don't know I'd that'll help you in any way, but what I did was lay off the playing for a week (my PT recommend that) and I loosened my grip, and it really helped.
Quote by DLBickster
I was doing physical therapy for a different issue when I started having strumming wrist pain, I asked my PT to look at it and she told me I'd strained a flexor tendon from holding the pick too hard. I don't know I'd that'll help you in any way, but what I did was lay off the playing for a week (my PT recommend that) and I loosened my grip, and it really helped.

No, it won't help TS. Because this thread is nearly 4 years old.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You're simply tensing too much. Your wrists need to be loose when you play, fretting hand and strumming hand. I had a really bad issue with my wrist about two years ago from playing. I used strings that were super tense due to their size and I was not a relaxed player. I ended up needing to rest that wrist for 2 or 3 weeks with a brace because anything would hurt it. Some steps of advice

1. Make sure to pinch your pick between thumb and forefinger. Not inbetween the fingers. This allows your fingers to shift and flow with your strumming instead of your wrist which is what I think is happening.

2. Play relaxed by KNOWING what you're playing. If you're trying to do new things which I'm guessing you are and they're a bit out of your play range. You need to slow down and ease into it a bit better. Playing unknowingly is the number one way to hurt yourself while playing. Combine that with being tense and your muscles can get hurt.

3. REST THAT WRIST. I know you want to just 'play through it' because it keeps happening but you're not helping anything. You risk permanently damaging your wrist if you try to fight through an injury. Which let's be real here, your wrist is injured. Take it slow, play slow patterns and if there is any pain at all then stop and rest your wrist until it's gone. Would you rather stop playing for a week or permanently have your wrist jacked up? Easy choice.

(I realize now this thread is 4 years old. Maybe someone else will listen to this advice instead)
My gear
Ibanez RGA42E (6-string), Ibanez RG7421 (7-string w/Dimarzio Evo 7 and Ionizer), ESP LTD MH-50 w/floyd rose
Flashback Delay, Digitech RP1000
Marshall JCM2000 Dsl 100
Marshall 1960a W/ Eminence Governors and Patriot Red White Blues
Last edited by Xerosnake90 at Apr 6, 2015,
You over did it.

Rest. Break in slowly next time.
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. This is my religion." -- Abraham Lincoln